News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Mississauga Muse:

Conversation21 Attendance

I think we have to give the city some credit for organizing a largely successful conversation series and avoiding another Mississauga Matters fiasco. They selected an appropriate venue (1315 seat Hammerson Hall), it was accessible to all, ticket orders and pick was easy and the event was well advertised with bus shelters, in the News and at all city facilities. Even my 18 year old cousin and his girlfriend who are usually oblivious to any events happening in the city heard about it and wanted to go to the Justin Trudeau talk, which luckily I had extra tickets to.

AGREE ..yeah, 100%

The only thing I would have done different was to broadcast the talks live on the net and on Rogers Cable for those who couldn’t attend in person.

Let me know when you're runnin' for Mayor, dude.

As for actual numbers, the orchestra level which contains about 613 seats, along with the dress circle 278 seats were usually filled each evening. So give and take a few, at least 800 people were present at each talk, an impressive number given the history of public engagement in this city. The only time I observed the 424 seat balcony used was for Justin’s speech. So that’s the only evening where I would say the number hit 1,000 people. On that note, I thought Justin’s keynote speech was the least inspiring and relevant to Mississauga out of all of them.

AGREE WITH EVERYTHING --AND:

"On that note, I thought Justin’s keynote speech was the least inspiring and relevant to Mississauga out of all of them."

GOOD. That was some dog of a Mississauga-speech. Mayor was gushing all on-about the Inspiration that is the Jr. Trudeau. Glad it wasn't just me...

I thought each part of the series was well attended; also depending on who was speaking the crowd varied, but usually contained a good mix of backgrounds and age groups.

I'll let you know. I have the Lewis one FOI'd and plan on dropping one down for the Trudeau one as well.

As for the thought that a large number of attendees may be city employees, I can assure that was not the case. After spending the last 10 years running around city hall, I know most faces and there weren’t that many in the crowd. That’s one that are most passionate about the future of the city were present, which is a good thing.

Louroz, please don't use "I can assure you that". Every time I get that from a mississauga.ca address, I FOI what comes directly after. Again, the FOI results will confirm.

There was a large presence of senior staff, and I also found encouraging that the entire senior staff team was present each evening. When I spoke about commitment, that’s the kind of commitment I’m talking about. The senior management team needed to hear those ideas and thoughts to drive the agenda in their departments. I also found it refreshing that the city had regular citizens acting as volunteers at the registration booths.

You see that's how we're different, Louroz. You see the entire senior staff there as "commitment". Me, I see it as Cripes, you mean you'd entertain such a big event and senior staff wouldn't be?!

City Affiliation

As for it not being directly on the city’s site, I believe this was a deliberate strategy. At first I found it strange the lack of association with the city, except for a small civic mark on the bottom. However, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me as I’ve observed that the public usually doesn’t want nothing to do with any government related project or program, this is especially true with young people and new immigrants.

Have to say that the young and new immigrants are much smarter than me. Embarrassed to say it took me 52 years in Mississauga before I finally decided that I don't want anything to do with government.

As for a lack of a postal code, hell I even lie about that myself, I often use the City Hall postal code when I register for anything online. So you shouldn’t put too much emphasis on those numbers and again the demographics changed according to who was speaking. I noticed a greater number of students during the last session.

Hmm... nutz. You're right. I have to think carefully about what those postal codes might be not telling me....

Commitment to Change by the entire City

When I said “city’s commitment” I was referring to it in a broader sense, beyond just the corporation but from everyone who lives and works in Mississauga. The public attendance at such events, during the Placemaking initiative, the My Mississauga summer events, the vote for the Absolute towers, citizen are showing that they care about the city’s future. Supporting that are the developers, the best example I can think of is FRAM in Port Credit and increasingly developers in the City Centre with their commitment to plan and build great new public spaces and buildings.

I just hope you're right on this one, Louroz. I just keep hearing what one of the speakers said. Mississauga doesn't have the luxury of screwing this up. I SO want it to work out. That fifty years from how people will look back and say 2000-2020 did it right.

Council Meetings and Future Direction of Mississauga Politics

I can see how you can become increasingly skeptical about the political direction of the city, especially if you sit through all those meetings. I use to attend a lot of those council and general committee meetings myself as student, these days I usually catch city council on Rogers, and I continue to pour over agendas, minutes and the budget line by line. Trust me, I hear what you must be thinking and feeling. You can imagine what is said and takes place behind closed doors. However, this isn’t just restricted to just Mississauga, this can be seen at every level of government, even at the Region as you also rightly pointed out. It’s how politicians operate.

So you know, Louroz. If you "pour over agendas, minutes and the budget line by line. " then you HAVE to be seeing what I do. And Louroz, I am painfully aware that it isn't just Mississauga.

But cripes that doesn't make me feel any better.

However, I’m bursting with optimism, eventually with time the current slate will be wiped clean and replaced with fresh new leadership. I have real faith in the people of Mississauga, and I honestly believe the tidal wave of real change is coming sooner rather than later.

I'm happy for you --go for it. I just feel (and it's not like I can prove this) that the city we can be most proud of really is for Everyone. Where Everyone is welcome. Everyone is involved in the Conversation.

The trouble is Louroz, and I have to admit it, I can't ever go back to the way I was --that ra-ra-Mississauga oblivious resident. But more than anything I've lost all trust.

You can't ever get it back. All I can say and I can't wish this enough, about the Future Mississauga? I hope that you're right and not me.

If we want it to become urban in the same sense of downtown Toronto or Hamilton or any other city in Canada, that's going to take a lot more time. Those cities developed over a long time as well, but they also developed in a much different way than Mississauga has. Mississauga is already in modern times. Those cities were not when they started being developed.

Those cities were not when they started being developed.

I understand about Toronto, but not Hamilton. Please, I'd like to learn more. And would appreciate one other example --would Buffalo be one? Like, developing over a long time.

Hazel is not the person for this city right now and hasn't been for some time. She's NOT urban. She's not an urban leader. She's suburban very much so, and has a very suburban way of thinking. I've been saying this for a few years now, and it completely blows me away that she keeps getting voted back in.

Aside from being phenomenally popular no matter what she does, Hazel also doesn't have any serious competition. I mean, would you really vote for Don Barber? And I'm with adma on Parrish.

But is there *any* so-called "urban" leader on the horizon? I'm not sure Carolyn Parrish'd be that much more "progressive" on that front. Or anyone in the 905 belt, for that matter, save maybe someone like Erin Shapero in Markham...

If you could resurrect someone --reach back into the past to lead the 905-Golden Horseshoe, who would you pick?

I'm asking because I spent over three decades not paying municipal attention... *blush*.

Miss. is in deep do-do if Carolyn Parrish is the best we can come up with. I was very regretful that she was elected to Council a year ago, although it was possibly inevitable. Hopefully leadership will emerge in the city over the next couple of years, lining up behind someone better. And yes I am serious, Muse!

I'm sure that once Hazel announces that she going out to pasture, the prospective mayor-wanna-be's will start coming out of the woodwork. The trouble is that Hazel will have set a pattern of expectations that will be hard to break for many citizens of Missy.

I'm sure that once Hazel announces that she going out to pasture, the prospective mayor-wanna-be's will start coming out of the woodwork. The trouble is that Hazel will have set a pattern of expectations that will be hard to break for many citizens of Missy.

Nahh... Mississauga just has to keep their Spin Department cranked to high and keep their Freedom of Information Department strangled to a trickle and it'll stay pretty much the same.

How do I know? I just got back two FOI's today asking specific questions regarding communication and evaluation among senior staff. The first came back with four pages they said they wouldn't charge me for. I find out it's just stuff photocopied from a Council agenda that I'd seen around this time last year.

The other? I can't be specific but they charged me $27.00 for photocopying of three reports that I'd already been charged for photocopying when I asked about employee conduct.

The other two? Received them FREE as pdf files almost two years ago.

Typical and I can even find this entertaining that they'd shovel the same policies for two very different requests AND double-charge me.

But what if I were working around minimum wage?

The reality is that the Hazel McCallion Product is a carefully crafted image and fiercely-protected by an informational tourniquet.

Any future mayor would be an IDIOT to release the information stream. I'm telling you, no one wants people to really know.

Because once people start questioning McCallion's decades-long reign... and The Best There Is-ness... people would distrust every institution, every politician's statement.

My own research into just Mississauga is all-consuming, so I have no idea if Mississauga is the norm... no idea at all. But just given that the province allowed muncipalities to choose their own "ombudsman" surely the province knows too.

Me, out of all of this the thing that's just killing me most of all, is the question, "How, HOW, can something this obvious have gone on all along?"

It's all just absolutely fascinating. Just haven't a clue what to make of it though.

Clearly there's a huge bureaucracy working full tilt to block your Freedom of Information Requests where they can, in order to hide the enormity of the Soylent Green type crimes that are being committed there.

Out of curiosity, have you ever requested the "identical" documents from another municipality? My single experience with a FOI in Mississauga was fairly easy, though it wasn't as specific as the stuff you were requesting.

People referring to Hurontario Street and Dundas Street as Highways 10 and 5 respectively does nothing to help Mississauga's image as a city. Those city streets haven't been provincial highways in many a year. I'm sure someone could dig up the exact dates.

As for the city becoming more urban, it is happening. MCC is a work in progress. We're basically building a downtown from scratch, and have been for 20-30 years. Streetsville and Port Credit are very nice, and I look forward to them intensifying.

As for The Mississauga Muse's issues with the city, I imagine it's just pure politics, and I don't know why it's so surprising. Every city, corporation, even individuals, use spin. Maybe there aren't so many polished machines like the Corporation of the City of Mississauga, but we all do it. What could possibly be so foul at City Council? You're telling me they might be corrupt? WHAT WHAT? Politicians? Corrupt? Please tell me it's not true!

Still, I'll take our city councillors over the party system in place in the Federal and Provincial levels any day.

I used to live in Southern Mississauga. It is very nice down there in places. I grew up in Mineola West, which was a nice area, and as the years went by, the small cottages on large lots got replaced by massive mansions. We moved up here in 1994 and whenever I've visited again, the process is ongoing. The neighbourhood has become full of mini mansions. These people can afford a 5% levy. I'm aghast that the councillors from Wards 1 and 2 would be so petty.

Back