News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You would think pedestrians have right of way on the pedestrian sidewalk.

They do...it's the inconsiderate cyclists and rollerbladers that don't understand this.

Should people who jog be told to use only one side as well, or should they be forced to "run only" lanes?

That's quite a stretch. They're not in or on a vehical, they're pedestrians. How do you determine if someone is jogging or just walking fast? Should we have speed traps set up for them?

So you need to be 90 to respect other people and property? It's a wonder kids have no respect for others? Try rollerblading and skateboarding inside your parents house and see what they have to say about it.

Also, if the kids had any respect, they would have picked up their skateboards and walked with it and apologized to the old security guard and promise not to do it again, rather than running off on skateboards having the guard chase them. Basically they are breaking the law by skateboarding on property that's not allowed.
No, I wasn't speaking to that. You went off and brought up how skateboard wheels damage flooring which I thought was laughable at best.

I completely agree with respecting others and their property. I don't wear shoes inside houses, why would I skateboard inside them? A common area is not an abode.

Your post just made you seem a touch uptight, s'all. :)

I think it comes down to a very simple concept: sharing public space.

Share the bloody sidewalk. It's almost intuitive that rollerbladers belong on sidewalks; they just have to share them with pedestrians and vice versa.

I get up tight when I see people skateboarding around in public places. Like walking in paths, it's dangerous for them to be speeding like that, and I'm sure the floors get scratched over time. I notice the building owners buffers them every year. Also the loud rolling noises and fear to get hit by speeding skateboarders.

Also walking outside sometimes I fear getting hit by skateboarders if I have to walk past them and I seem the jumping off upper levels to land on the ground. I usually stop or pause to make sure they are not continuing before I continue walking. It feels as if there's no place for them to play so they play anywhere they can find or something. Walking past Metro hall building, a few times I see them play catch ball across either side of street. When there's no car passing by, they throw the ball to the other person across the street. Can't they go to the park. Clarence Park is just nearby for goodness sake!

Last edited:
:confused::confused::confused:

Just yesterday, I was at the Queen's Quay Terminal with a buddy of mine who lives on the Harbourfront. We were watching kids skateboarding, doing their thing and filming each other. Fun to watch, like any other sport. My buddy asked me: what kind of people have a problem with this? Who are they hurting?

Shortly thereafter, a douche-bag of a security guard (yeah, yeah, doing his "job") came and kicked them out....oh, and wouldn't even let them sit down and chill. We had our answer to the first question.

The answer to the second question is, of course, nobody is hurt.

Loud noises emitted from wheels? Do you have overly-sensitive hearing by chance?

Buffering the floor in a common area annually? A common occurence if there ever was one and one that's been going on for longer than kids have been skateboarding.

You seem to have an irrational fear of being hurt by skateboarders.

Have you ever seen any bystanders getting hit by skateboarders?

We're going to have to put this down to a generational difference and misunderstanding, I guess. Though, I will repeat what I said earlier: it is almost intuitive that rollerbladers and skateboarders belong on sidewalks with an imperative to share the space with pedestrians. Simple concept, I'd think.

Simple concept, I'd think.

I'd think so too, unfortunately it's the rollerbladers and skateboarders who don't understand the concept of sharing the sidewalk or being considerate to others.

I'm going to go ahead and speak on behalf of all youth here: the whole city is our playground.

Gee, you were all for sharing a minute ago.

:confused::confused::confused:

Just yesterday, I was at the Queen's Quay Terminal with a buddy of mine who lives on the Harbourfront. We were watching kids skateboarding, doing their thing and filming each other. Fun to watch, like any other sport. My buddy asked me: what kind of people have a problem with this? Who are they hurting?

Shortly thereafter, a douche-bag of a security guard (yeah, yeah, doing his "job") came and kicked them out....oh, and wouldn't even let them sit down and chill. We had our answer to the first question.

The answer to the second question is, of course, nobody is hurt.

Loud noises emitted from wheels? Do you have overly-sensitive hearing by chance?

Buffering the floor in a common area annually? A common occurence if there ever was one and one that's been going on for longer than kids have been skateboarding.

You seem to have an irrational fear of being hurt by skateboarders.

Have you ever seen any bystanders getting hit by skateboarders?

We're going to have to put this down to a generational difference and misunderstanding, I guess. Though, I will repeat what I said earlier: it is almost intuitive that rollerbladers and skateboarders belong on sidewalks with an imperative to share the space with pedestrians. Simple concept, I'd think.

It's up to the owner of the property. I'm sure you might have a thing to say about it if people invited themselves onto your property and used it in a way you didn't like.

I'd think so too, unfortunately it's the rollerbladers and skateboarders who don't understand the concept of sharing the sidewalk or being considerate to others.

Gee, you were all for sharing a minute ago.

You can play too! :)

So, every single rollerblader and skateboarder is an inconsiderate jerk and all pedestrians are saints, is what you're saying?

It's up to the owner of the property. I'm sure you might have a thing to say about it if people invited themselves onto your property and used it in a way you didn't like.

Yes, but in my case (and I don't own property), they'd have to be doing something quite disturbing for me to have a shite about it. I mean, random kids sitting on my lawn, for example, wouldn't get chased off because of some ill-held belief that they're up to no good.

Scale. What's actually damaging and disturbing to others? Vandalism, sure. Violence, assault, yes. Sport? Hardly.

Yes, but in my case (and I don't own property), they'd have to be doing something quite disturbing for me to have a shite about it. I mean, random kids sitting on my lawn, for example, wouldn't get chased off because of some ill-held belief that they're up to no good.

Scale. What's actually damaging and disturbing to others? Vandalism, sure. Violence, assault, yes. Sport? Hardly.

What about if kids rubbed grease all along the edge of your porch to do tricks off of? What about if one of the kids fell down, injured him/herself and his parents sued you, the property owner?

^^The chances of the happening are pretty slim, actually...

What about if kids rubbed grease all along the edge of your porch to do tricks off of? What about if one of the kids fell down, injured him/herself and his parents sued you, the property owner?

A porch surrounded by grass? Where do you guys get this stuff?

I'm very down with the culture; I'd encourage it, even, if I had a suitable porch.

Now, I know who would be responsible here and we'd go from there should anything ever turn litigous.

Life is about a lot more than worrying about trivialities, my friends.

PS:It's not grease...it's wax that's used.

Walkers!! Why do people choose to walk on the bike path that runs along the waterfront. The east side even has a boardwalk for walkers. There is a by-law preventing a biker from riding on the boardwalk, to be fair, there should be a by-law preventing people from walking on the bike path.

Shoulder to shoulder, 4 and 5 people wide, on a bike path.. when the boardwalk is 20 feet away.. idiots.

I'm buying an air horn this year.

I'm not bitching about people with stollers.. just the mouth breathers that can't figure out why all the bikers and roller bladers are whipping by them with heads turned casting dirty looks.

I'd be very surprised if the wheels on my inline skates scratched anything. They're made of a soft-rubbery compound. Granted those wheels are for indoor use.

Back