News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

one thing i will say is alot of my favourite stores have closed mostly due to people finding roncey a pain in the ass to shop/drive and even walk down because of this reconstruction, on the brightside once its done i'll start windowshopping on roncey again along with many others and hopefully bring back the streets vibrant array of stores

Many stores in St. Clair closed due to a sudden increase in rent (all of a sudden a retail storefront had a higher value). It is possible that Roncessvalles landlords are also going to/have been asking for higher retail rents due to the expected improvement in shopping for the area.

I have always found the idea that families with big cars buy more groceries to be ridiculous. How much a person eats is not related to trunk space. Families that use transit and walk buy about the same amount unless you are talking about furniture. We go to the grocery store every couple of days instead of once a week. It completely changes how much you need to buy at a given time. Either I stop by the grocery store on my way home or my wife goes to the grocery store with the kids to get out of the house. People don't need cars to shop when they live downtown. That is the whole point of living downtown. People who don't understand this don't live downtown. There is no point paying more to live downtown if you are just going to hop in a car and drive to a strip mall. You will not have avoided congestion, you will not have reduced car costs... what will you have gained if you don't walk around?

That is a streetcar every 5 to 10 minutes, while the cars just waste real estate.

Another opinion, can we assume that car owners city wide park their cars all day on Roncesvalles just to make the TTC look good?

Thanks for being the first trolleyphile to post the obligatory knee jerk reaction to an opinion you don't share.

Given that Roncesvalles is host to the busiest surface transit route in North America, I would expect that the removal of rush hour parking was the most likely long-term alternative if the current redesign plan had been rejected.

Great post. I just felt it was my duty to point out that the 504 is not the busiest surface transit route in North America, or even Canada for that matter.

I think that the busiest is Calgary C-Train line 201, but I can't find statistics for it. However, the LACMTA Blue line (82,840/day) and Edmonton LRT (74,440/day) both have higher ridership than the 504 King (56,700/day).

Great post. I just felt it was my duty to point out that the 504 is not the busiest surface transit route in North America, or even Canada for that matter.

I think that the busiest is Calgary C-Train line 201, but I can't find statistics for it. However, the LACMTA Blue line (82,840/day) and Edmonton LRT (74,440/day) both have higher ridership than the 504 King (56,700/day).

Busiest route operating in mixed traffic then, haha.

Busiest route operating in mixed traffic then, haha.
C-Train looks pretty mixed to me:
101908_CTrain.jpg

Another opinion, can we assume that car owners city wide park their cars all day on Roncesvalles just to make the TTC look good?

Thanks for being the first trolleyphile to post the obligatory knee jerk reaction to an opinion you don't share.

What, do you think you're being all clever here with semantics and logic games? Transit is a more efficient mover of people than cars.

The claim was mentioned by a senior TTC staffer at a public meeting, but I agree he probably meant the busiest in mixed traffic, as gweed123 suggests. It is undoubtedly Toronto's busiest. It moves more people than either the Sheppard subway or the Scarborough RT.

The point is, the 504 King is Toronto's most important surface route, and it is delusional to think Roncesvalles could have escaped the reorientation of transportation priorities taking place in pretty much every large city on the entire planet.

well, actually it kinda does - 7th avenue is for calgary transit in general, buses do use it.... as well as the occasional uninformed tourist.

But it still has dedicated lanes. The King streetcar doesn't. That was the point I was trying to make. That car got hit because he was an idiot and shouldn't have been in that lane. It's not like the LRT train magically switched lanes and jumped in front of the car.

Yikes! A lot of fun posts since the last time I checked in here.

In case anyone still cares, the City staff reports said that traffic flow would not be significantly affected by the Roncesvalles bumpouts. And why would it, since Roncesvalles is basically a two-lane road anyway thanks to parked cars. Yes, it will be harder for cars to dart around streetcars, but this maneuver most likely slows down not only the streetcar that must wait as these people pass by, but the cars following behind. Two drivers may get home sooner, but everyone else gets delayed.

And by the way, fellow car drivers: you can demand on-street parking or you can demand improved traffic flow. You can't demand both. They are mutually incompatible!

And as this BIA post reminds us, the City's response to slow traffic on Dundas West was to remove parking and open up the street to four lanes of busy traffic, which would be the worst possible outcome for Roncesvalles businesses. Given that Roncesvalles is host to the busiest surface transit route in North America, I would expect that the removal of rush hour parking was the most likely long-term alternative if the current redesign plan had been rejected. If I had to choose between the Dundas West, the St. Clair or the Roncesvalles responses to transit prioritization, I would think most would choose Roncy (although an underground DRL with bike lanes on Roncesvalles would be my own top choice).

The problem is that too many people assume the status quo is an option. It is not.

Also, with the streetcars stopping all traffic in one direction, the single-occupant automobiles in the opposite direction will get more gaps to do their left turns. Of course, farside stops may cause blocked intersections at the stops but that would be the fault of the discourteous drivers who refuse to yield or leave a gap.

Hope we would not have to post DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION signs for the obvious.

cimg0436-500x375.jpg

Glad to see some of you people have common sense when it comes to these ridiclous bump outs on roncesvalles! Enough with the hand holding!! I dont need the gov to hold my hand while I get on a street car!

Back