News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Knock, knock, Hellooooo TTC......are you at home........did someone visit this street to see if it is ready to open on December 4th as per your notices????????

From what I saw today, no way will it be ready for southbound service on the 4th let along the 7th. My ohhhh, myyyy.
[video=youtube;4-203af6afQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-203af6afQ[/video]

Is there a diagram of what paving and sidewalk treatments are going where? It seems a little disorganized with inconsistent lane widths, inconsistent treatments, inconsistent sidewalk widths. I like some of the sidewalk treatments and not others.

No, it was the anti-ROW activism that derailed and delayed the St. Clair project.

That too but the project was changed after initial planning to allow for Hydro wire removal.Changes (and court challenges) do slow things down.

Knock, knock, Hellooooo TTC......are you at home........did someone visit this street to see if it is ready to open on December 4th as per your notices????????

From what I saw today, no way will it be ready for southbound service on the 4th let along the 7th. My ohhhh, myyyy.

The 504 King bus did indeed roll down Roncy yesterday, which is what the TTC meant by "southbound service." The 504 King streetcar has been scheduled to resume on December 19.

... which is not to say the construction has proceeded on schedule. But that's not the fault of the TTC (which completed its track work on time about two months ago). The City has posted a notice about the delays. Evidently, the project has been delayed "as a result of the contractor not being able to complete the work within the expected timelines." (Reminds me of how SCTV's Johnny LaRue explained that water boils "because it's hot.")

So why was the City unable to see that the short crews and abandoned worksites regularly observed by businesses did not bode well for a timely end to construction?

This is the downside of awarding construction work to the lowest bidder.

I'm sure many construction projects in this city could be completed faster if more money was spent on construction (either for better contractors or 24-hour construction).

The question is how do we want to spend our money?

What a freaking disaster this project is. Epic fail. They are even making bumpouts where there is no freakin streetcar stop. What are these morons thinking? Yay lets get rid of even more parking unnecessarily!!!

Last edited:
This is the downside of awarding construction work to the lowest bidder.

I'm sure many construction projects in this city could be completed faster if more money was spent on construction (either for better contractors or 24-hour construction).

The question is how do we want to spend our money?

The problem is probably not the contractor, but the contract. Apparently, there is no firm deadline in the Roncesvalles contract, according to the BIA. If the system allows for flexible deadlines, then we should expect all rational contractors to bid on jobs with the expectation of dividing their attentions across several projects in the area, as would seem to be the case here.

Gord MacMillan, City director of design and construction, told the Globe the City charges $500 to $2000 a day in "administration costs" for projects that go past the designated completion date. Does anybody know what these administration costs could possibly be? And if it costs the contractor an extra say, $50,000, if the construction goes past deadline by 60 days, is that a lot? Do such penalties create meaningful incentives for the contractor to finish on time? Because if they do, then why were there so many days when no crews worked on Roncesvalles, despite good weather?

And let's not forget Enbridge. Roncy could have had two-way traffic back in October, but instead, Enbridge held up construction in the north end for over two months while it figured out what to do about its gas mains. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that by law, these utilities have some sort of right-of-access, and they need not ask permission from the City when it wants to dig, or coordinate with the City when the street is being dug up anyway. If true, that's another aspect of the system that needs to change.

What a freaking disaster this project is. Epic fail. They are even making bumpouts where there is no freakin streetcar stop. What are these morons thinking? Yay lets get rid of even more parking unnecessarily!!!

The less parking the better.

Let me guess, you drive everywhere?

New York City Bus Routes

The M15 bus in New York City also carries 57,000 riders per weekday. The B46 bus has even more than that apparently.

An update from the world of New York surface transit: the M15 is now a SelectBus route, which is a form of light bus rapid transit: exclusive lanes during rush hours (enforced by cameras and fines), all-door-loading, and pre-payment. The same system is in place on one route in the Bronx, and will be implemented in Brooklyn on the B44 route, thanks to a $28M grant from the federal government.

The less parking the better.

Let me guess, you drive everywhere?

The less parking is better?? Yea I'm sure the business owners on roncesvalles share that sentiment[/sarcasm]. Are you being serious?

P.S. I dont even own a car at the moment. I take transit and I live in the area in question and have friends who are business owners on Roncesvalles.

And The Mad Navigator is why Rob Ford and his ilk feel like there's a war against cars. Because there is.

I suggest people should take a stroll along Roncesvalles during the night and before 9:00 am on a weekday and have a look at how many cars are park along this road.

One will be amassed at how many cars are still park in front of business that are not even open nor has the owner and staff show up to open them in the first place.

One can pick a block and watch what takes place before and during the hours the business are open to see very little turn over of spaces.

Perhaps the solution then for the businesses, is that we have a 3-hour parking restriction, so there are more spaces available for those shopping.

Wait ... we already do ...

Back