News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not that simple and it would have (last I recall) ~$1,000,000,000+. I recall being in some of those conversations when we were chatting West Rossdale/Gondola/Powerplant redevelopment.

Spent some time in the area last night and looking at the old power plant I couldn't help but feel somewhat sad and angry at its current state. Love the light activation but my god I genuinely believe not activating the interior or doing something with this may very well be the greatest missed opportunity in the city these days. We have a beautiful and historical building in an absolute prime location in the heart of Edmonton's crown jewel being the river valley and it just sits there empty. The examples Ian provided on the last page would be great ideas on what to do with Rossdale and would bring so much life and excitement to the heart of the city.

Would someone be able to provide a short breakdown as to how we got to this current state with Rossdale and why it is sitting empty? Is it the city or province that owns this? Has there ever been any concrete proposals or at least talk of activating this historical building? Apologies for asking this as I'm not from Edmonton and always wanted to do an in-depth examination on this topic but never really got around to it.

So it could become another unused, semi abandoned building like the one nearby?
I think both would be a great place for a new National museum of Western Canadian Indigenous peoples. That could include a large commercial space with local market with cafes both inside and outside and secure place for a gondola, train station coming under 103 Street or a bus terminal. Lots of potential.

Lots of potential.
Unfortunately lots of potential but no execution or vision is what defines a lot of opportunities in Edmonton.

In a national housing crisis Edmonton has some of the most undeveloped land in its core areas waiting to be activated out of any major Canadian city between Rossdale, the Quarters, Northlands and Blatchford.

At some point potential either turns to kinetic or momentum otherwise it’s just wasted potential and there’s no vision or plan for this entire area.

I think both would be a great place for a new National museum of Western Canadian Indigenous peoples. That could include a large commercial space with local market with cafes both inside and outside and secure place for a gondola, train station coming under 103 Street or a bus terminal. Lots of potential.
I would think that a national museum of that type would end up in Winnipeg. As I understand it, Winnipeg has one of the largest concentrations of indigenous peoples within a large city.

Unfortunately lots of potential but no execution or vision is what defines a lot of opportunities in Edmonton.

In a national housing crisis Edmonton has some of the most undeveloped land in its core areas waiting to be activated out of any major Canadian city between Rossdale, the Quarters, Northlands and Blatchford.

At some point potential either turns to kinetic or momentum otherwise it’s just wasted potential and there’s no vision or plan for this entire area.
These days, anything the COE touches turns to crud. Every time they come up with another grand plan for an area I expect disappointment.

Ironically, the areas doing better are the ones the city has not been so heavy handed in trying to plan.

Your intention here is good. I would add something to your thought - current framing around Nations doesn't really allow us to group them as "Western Canadian". That said, if we wanted to do something framed by territory or treaty, I can see something (potentially) moving forward.

I would think bigger than that and include the land south of 97th Avenue and north and west of River Road in a permanent World Indigenous Peoples' Exposition that begins with Alberta and Western Canadian tribes and expands rapidly to include Indigenous Peoples across the globe. I believe that something like this could be far more exciting than a world's fair and have a long-lasting impact on the City of Edmonton as a progressive place with a purpose.

Back