News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Re: New corner of Eaton Centre

I finally got the chance to see this thing today ... haven't been downtown for past two weeks. Canadian Tire looks the same as other newer Canadian Tire stores, and other newer "big box" stores for that matter. Certainly not architecturally distinguished by any means, or remarkable in any way, but I think "soul crushing" is a bit much. It's simply a big box store.

I agree with the comments about the new streetscape and "presence" along the south side of Dundas. The pedestrian traffic was remarkable, on a block that was largely a dead zone. Crowds were obviously heavy because of the Best Buy grand opening, but I assume pedestrian traffic will be heavier yet on weekdays, with Ryerson students. The remaining problem zone is that somewhat pointless passageway space between the Ryerson entrance and the Sears store. As others have mentioned, too bad something better wasn't done with it.

It's a bit of a ways away... but the police station on Dundas by Village by the Grange WAS supposed to have a parkette and not parking lot in front of it. Part of the dundas dead stretch now.

""soul crushing" is a bit much. It's simply a big box store"

But this is at Bay & Dundas, not a parking lot in Vaughan...they should have done better.

Why are they covering those large new planters with pavers? I thought they were for plants. I'm confused.

I remember them doing the same along Wellesley Street when the sidewalks were redone. It's likely temporary until planting is scheduled.

www.mediaincanada.com/art...erson.html

Naming rights on offer as Ryerson's biz faculty moves to Bay Street

by Terry Poulton

Moving Canada's largest business faculty to the downtown Toronto street that symbolizes Canadian commerce is not only a coup, but a one-of-a-kind gambit, at least in this country, says Ryerson biz dean Ken Jones. A joint venture of Ryerson University and Cadillac Fairview, the just-opened Ryerson Business Building stands at the southeast corner of Bay and Dundas streets. It houses nearly 28,000 students and includes the university's new MBA programs as well as four bachelor of commerce programs and eight management research centres and institutes.

Jones says interest in naming rights is intense. Still up for grabs at press time were the building itself, a 500-seat auditorium, a huge atrium, 32 classrooms and several conference suites. What's the value proposition of slapping a corporate moniker on any of them? Jones tells Media in Canada that companies could leverage not only the faculty's sizzling hot new location, but also "build on our impact on Canadian business. With more than 1,000 graduates a year, we put more students into the business marketplace than any other school in Canada. We have very strong core programs and we're linked to industries including retail, hospitality and tourism and information systems."

www.ryerson.ca/faculties/business

I went to the Canadian Tire yesterday at lunch just to pick up a few odds and ends. The two-floor layout sure makes it more confusing that the average CT store, but unless you look at the ceiling (which is terrible - traditional white-painted steel would be more attractive), it looks good. It's so damn useful having it there.

And I also noticed that Dundas was very busy as well, a big change.

Naming rights on offer as Ryerson's biz faculty moves to Bay Street

ryerson-01.jpg

It has a name.

Ted Rogers School of Management.

$15 Million.

Second building at Ryerson named for a Rogers.

* * * Please do not reply to this email * * *

This is a wonderful day for our University and particularly for our students, faculty and staff in the Faculty of Business. Ted and Loretta Rogers, great Toronto philanthropists and long-time supporters of Ryerson, have made a transformational gift of $15 million directed towards the Faculty of Business, which in recognition will be renamed the Ted Rogers School of Management.

Ted and Loretta Rogers' personal endorsement and support mark a milestone for management education at Ryerson. They are community leaders second to none, with a deep commitment to education and to students. Their gift is a tremendous vote of confidence in Ryerson's undergraduate and graduate programs, our growing scholarly, research and creative activity and our outstanding students and faculty.

The Rogers' great generosity and leadership will make a dramatic difference to the lives of students by greatly enhancing accessibility and the quality of the student experience. The majority of the gift will be used to establish 52 new undergraduate and graduate student awards and scholarships, at unprecedented levels for the University. The gift will also establish a new Research Chair to seed academic initiatives that will attract outstanding faculty and create centres of excellence in management research.

We are honoured to name Ryerson's school of management after one of Canada's most accomplished businessmen and entrepreneurs. I am confident that students today and tomorrow will be proud to attend and graduate from the Ted Rogers School of Management - the only school in Canada to which he has given his name.

Finally, this gift is a testament to all of our faculty and staff across the University. It's your continued commitment to excellence that creates Ryerson's reputation, and it's our growing reputation that attracts Canada's business and community leaders to support us. So thank you to Ted and Loretta Rogers, thank you to our students, and thanks so much to all of you.

Sheldon Levy
President

I went to the Canadian Tire yesterday at lunch just to pick up a few odds and ends. The two-floor layout sure makes it more confusing that the average CT store, but unless you look at the ceiling (which is terrible - traditional white-painted steel would be more attractive), it looks good. It's so damn useful having it there.

And I also noticed that Dundas was very busy as well, a big change.

I find it much more easier than a traditional CT store. All home products are located on the 2nd floor while sports, hardware and automotive products are located on the first. A traditional store has hardware split up into 3 sections which go from one end of the store to the other. So if you buy a pack of screws and need the screwdriver for it, you have to walk through the whole store to get to it... whereas Bay & Dundas has it all together.

First... thanks Mike.

You are always an extraordinary provider of news and information. You rarely ask others to listen to your "opinion" (90% of UT content) and you rarely are thanked for bringing us the news.

As for the signs... cover the whole damn thing! But who is this Harry Rogers that is all over the building?

As part of Ted Rogers' endowment, was there a requirement that his name get posted on the building in large letters in no fewer than 8 places? Geez... Every damn sign in the building already says Ted Rogers. Like "Janitorial Closet - Ted Rogers School of Management".

It should make for some fun photos, tho. I'm not sure if they've thought out how wise it is to have a building that declares:

TED ROGERS SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
BEST BUY - CANADIAN TIRE
TORONTO EATON CENTRE

and

RYERSON UNIVERSITY
CANADIAN TIRE

^ stop following me.

So it isn't lost:

First... thanks Mike.

You are always an extraordinary provider of news and information. You rarely ask others to listen to your "opinion" (90% of UT content) and you rarely are thanked for bringing us the news.

As for the signs... cover the whole damn thing! But who is this Harry Rogers that is all over the building?

Back