News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Will never happen. An atomic bomb will go off here, and surviving mutants will still head to TLS for movies. We're stuck with this lump for the foreseeable future.

Hey, if the AGO can be gutted before a decade's past on their last big reno and if the ROM can tear down their Terrace Galleries which stood for less than 20 years, Toronto Life Square can easily be replaced or gutted out and reimagined a lot sooner than we think.

Heck, even Torch is being 're-imagined' (I like this word) just a few years after it was built. I expect that the new CityTV HQ will resemble little more than the former shell of the Olympic Spirit Centre.

I don't see AMC folding their operations here -- they'll be very successful simply by the nature of the location -- but I wouldn't put it beyond PenEquity screwing this whole operation by accepting sub par tenants which can bring down the whole complex at which point they'll sell to get out while they can and somebody like Cadillac Fairview would pick it up.

In 10 years, Dundas Square is going to be bigger than ever as a tourist destination, Toronto meeting spot and advertising orgasmatron. Toronto Life Square's location and its dispensableness will make it the prime candidate for the wrecking ball and a big investment by a major international player.

Hopefully this thread is still here in 2020 so we can look back.

Now back on topic, isn't that Bond st. building the one that sells hip hop clothing and is always blaring music in the back alley? God, I sure hope so... if a major building is going in the former Hakim Optical site, that would suck to have that gypsy style operation running next to it.

Hey, if the AGO can be gutted before a decade's past on their last big reno and if the ROM can tear down their Terrace Galleries which stood for less than 20 years, Toronto Life Square can easily be replaced or gutted out and reimagined a lot sooner than we think.

Heck, even Torch is being 're-imagined' (I like this word) just a few years after it was built. I expect that the new CityTV HQ will resemble little more than the former shell of the Olympic Spirit Centre.

Also, if we're thinking of things close by, don't forget the various Eaton Centre makeovers, and it's still barely 30 years since the first phase opened...

I think Yonge St. should be for commercials, not university. How can an university make Yonge st vibrant at night? Not much. Only commercials can.

Ryerson has an extensive night school program, and its library and lab facilities are open late into the night, so there's bound to be people at Yonge and Gould if Ryerson is building over Sam's. Ryerson provides a lot of business at dinnertime for restaurants on Yonge Street.

Ryerson has an extensive night school program, and its library and lab facilities are open late into the night, so there's bound to be people at Yonge and Gould if Ryerson is building over Sam's. Ryerson provides a lot of business at dinnertime for restaurants on Yonge Street.

Not to mention the plan for Yonge/Gould would be set up like what went up at Bay/Dundas. I wouldnt call that a failure. The area is actually busy now and looks great! (provided that you dont look up)

i really wish they would take down those huge RU signs they installed on the arch and RCC buildings. the arch building is already ugly, no need to make it tacky as well. TLS and the top of the library building will also be getting some of those great signs. such a horrible eyesore.

In the words of Margo Channing, "fasten your seat belts ..."

I'm scared of this, and not just a little bit scared. If the Dundas/Bay prefab is any indication of the extent to which Ryerson is concerned about our cityscape, then I think I have good reason.

Much care will be necessary to ensure that Ryerson actually contributes to Yonge. Now that the City has finally gained some legal say about how buildings turn out and what they contribute to the street, perhaps the outcome of Ryerson coming to Yonge will be positive. I'll try to keep an open mind, although this is a challenge.

The item in the press did say something about access to the almost unknown park in Ryerson from Yonge; that could be fabulous, depending on how it's done.

And for heaven's sake, hands of Devo Square, that thing is just excellent.

i really wish they would take down those huge RU signs they installed on the arch and RCC buildings. the arch building is already ugly, no need to make it tacky as well. TLS and the top of the library building will also be getting some of those great signs. such a horrible eyesore.

Tell me about it. It's tacky as hell and the whole thing seems so insecure. It's as if they believe that people don't know that Ryerson is there and folks will drive down Church Street and go "Hey look! A university! I think I'll get a bachelor's degree!". Heck, that's not even likely cause all the signs say is "RU". I guess all it is is a pointless branding exercise, with Ryerson hoping to prove something by marking their territory.

Could you see UofT tacking big, bright "UofT" signs on the side of each of their buildings?

From an advertising perspective, the RU signs are brilliant. I personally don't have a problem with them. Also like the idea of the Ryerson flags on lamp posts along Church ...

RU ties in perfectly with their "You" subway adverts.

It also helps banish the "polytechnic" from the equation.

i went to the master plan meeting today and there's nothing encouraging. i went to the first master plan meeting last spring (so almost a year ago) and nothing has really changed since that time even though they said they've had over 250 meetings since Oct 2006.

it seems like the firm has done it's job and now the ball is in the hands of the administration which is taking it's sweet time. so for anyone waiting to see some sort of development shouldn't hold their breath even though i hope i'm wrong.

i really wish they would take down those huge RU signs they installed on the arch and RCC buildings.

I can see the need for new signs on the Architecture Building. It doesn't look like an architecture school. In fact, if not for the Ryerson signage outside the building, there's no way you can tell from the outside of the Arch Building what it's really used for.

I haven't seen the signage, but if you say it's tacky, then I believe you and I think it should go!

Back