News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It would be kinda cool if they could find the old AnA sign and put it up next to the old Sam's sign.

looks pretty good! Massing pretty appropriate, and I like the 'billboard' on the south side - pays homage to TLS? So the Sam's sign would be inside the glass front?

Well the picture above is a good lesson in context: Ryerson on Yonge = tastefull but inappropriately bland, TLS = tacky but appropriately cheesey... Score one for TLS!

That is not a rendering of the building to be - it is for illustrating potential developments in the master plan. I sure as hell hope Ryerson doesn't do anything like that - is the place a mall? It certainly suggests to me, when it isn't one.

re: context - Keep in mind Ryerson is the context - it has been around since the 1940s.

AoD

I like it. Decent massing and kinda Toronto-style. Any news on what's going to happen to the old Future Shop site?

This is the old Future Shop site.

Let me repeat what Alvin has stated: this is not the rendering of the building to be built.

Tewder:

It isn't like the current plans by Ryerson precludes retail along Yonge - when in fact there are all indications that such a function will remain (esp. for financial reasons).

Beyond that, the Yonge strip has always seen evolution due to various reasons (densification at subway nodes, land use changes - e.g. from small scale retail to mixed uses, etc) - why should it be artifically insulated from these forces?

AoD

From today's Star:
Toronto must help Ryerson, not hinder it TheStar.com - Columnist - Toronto must help Ryerson, not hinder it
January 28, 2008
Christopher Hume

Toronto still has lessons to learn from Ryerson University.
Despite being an enormous asset to the city, the campus has always been a blight on the urban landscape.
The school deserves some blame for this, but one can only wonder how much better the campus could be if the civic powers-that-be were to decide to help Ryerson rather than hinder it.
Given the huge changes happening at the institution these days, this might just happen. (Though one mustn't forget just how slowly the wheels of change grind in Toronto.)
Ryerson's purchase of a handful of strategic properties, including the old Future Shop and Sam the Record Man sites on Yonge St., is potentially transformative. It will give the school a new presence in the city and enable Ryerson to come out of the shadows and be recognized as the major player it is in the neighbourhood.
Though the school has squandered many opportunities – the Library Building (Gould St.), the Rogers Communications Centre (Church St.) and to a lesser extent, the School of Business (Bay and Dundas Sts.) – it has started to make amends. The Vari Engineering and Computing Centre (Church), the Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education (Victoria St.) and the Student Campus Centre (Gould) are all worthy additions.
But what Ryerson really needs now is for the city to close off the streets that run through the site, most obviously Gould between Yonge and Church, as well as Victoria and Bond from Gould south to Dundas.
That's not to say there couldn't be times for delivery trucks and so on, but closing these roads to regular traffic would finally allow Ryerson to develop the campus it has never had.
Last year, the university hired a team of planners and architects to prepare a master plan that will be presented this spring. If it doesn't call for street closures, it will have been a wasted exercise. City officials, including Mayor David Miller at the news conference last year when the design team was announced, talk about the need for further study of the issue.
Study's good, of course, but there comes a time when action's required. That's where the city so often fails. No doubt there are people and special interests that would oppose closing these streets, but the advantages are significant. The worst result of shutting off Gould would be greater inconvenience for the small number of drivers who use it to travel east and west. Victoria and Bond dead-end at Gould anyway, just a block north of Dundas.
On the other hand, the benefit would be a new centre for the Ryerson campus, a social heart and pedestrian high street that would become the focus of university activity. Already Gould boasts some of Ryerson's finest buildings – Oakham House and the Student centre – and its single most beautiful feature, the skating rink/reflecting pool at Victoria.
Banning cars would also mean enhanced safety for thousands of students who cross the street daily. Indeed, it's shocking the city has shown so little concern for pedestrian safety here and elsewhere. It seems endangering walkers is a price we are willing to pay for the convenience of drivers.
To succeed, Ryerson needs to be within the city, but distinct. It needs to be porous and fully public, yet set apart. We need to know when we're entering the campus and when we're leaving.
Last week, the province pledged $45 million to build the Student Learning Centre on Yonge. Now it's the city's turn to step up and do the right thing.

Ryerson's new look for Yonge & Gould
ryerson_1.jpg
What's with the Design Exchange sign? Has anyone heard if they're thinking of moving here? It might be a good fit.

Tewder:

Beyond that, the Yonge strip has always seen evolution due to various reasons (densification at subway nodes, land use changes - e.g. from small scale retail to mixed uses, etc) - why should it be artifically insulated from these forces?

AoD

I'm not suggesting that, just that I don't think it is the most ideal move for Ryerson or for the commercial strip on Yonge. I think it would be better for Ryerson to expand east and develop Church as its main city face, leaving Yonge street for some potential big retailers to move in (granted, not necessarily going to happen tomorrow, but hopefully eventually) so that there are increasingly more large retail anchors to build a healthy commercial strip from Dundas up to Bloor.

Back