News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This doesn't seem to be anything final, but for interest's sake, here's the rendering proposed for Sam The Record Man and Future Shop's site:

picture1wc3.png

picture2sk4.png

It's interesting and I like how it backs on to the ugly library behind, giving it a new face but... but... but.. where are the Sam's record signs?

Nonetheless, this being Ryerson's face on Yonge St and its most visible building, I hope they can be a little more creative than that and perhaps get a starchitect to design this one building.

This site is zoned for 20 floors so they have plenty of room to put something interesting there.

Also of interest, the Hakim Optical and government buildings on the corner of Dundas square @ Dundas and Victoria, replaced in this model by a tall mixed use Commercial+Academic+Hotel tower:

picture3uc0.png

Construction on the Image Arts building has begun. I walked by today and there was some minor demolition going on in the southwest corner of the building. Ill get some pics in the next few days.

when are they going to start for demolitioning ex-Sam Record Man and Future Shop's site I hate seeing an empty building I don't why they daleying to start construction. This site is a tourist destination area and they should start to build as soon they have purchased the site

when are they going to start for demolitioning ex-Sam Record Man and Future Shop's site I hate seeing an empty building I don't why they daleying to start construction. This site is a tourist destination area and they should start to build as soon they have purchased the site
Would you rather see a parking lot for the next year? I do not think Ryerson had any idea they would get their hands on this site until just before they bought it last fall. It takes time to design a new building and then to get the necessary permits so just rushing in to demolish buildings to 'show you are doing something' sounds pretty silly to me.

Ryerson had their eyes on the site for a while. They have wanted to expand west and have an address on Yonge. I agree demolition at this time makes no sense, but I wonder if the stores can be used temporarily until they are ready to proceed with demo/construction.

in the graphic with the streetscape, why does it look like the future shop building is still there beside the new building?

in the graphic with the streetscape, why does it look like the future shop building is still there beside the new building?

The master plan process predates the purchase of Sam the Record Man and Future Shop. They probably didnt expect to secure the future shop site. That building isn't what will be built on the site anyways. Its just a vision for the corner... what it could be.

Btw... in the Presidents welcome message, he mentioned that work on the Sam's site would begin this year.

Back