News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From another angle, according to this, Costco pays its employees, on average, 42 percent more, so more power to them.

Well that explains the insanely cheap meat you could buy there. The chicken breasts were something like $11/kg. I knew they were hosing someone (everyone?) with those prices, but I just couldn't resist... :(

Well that explains the insanely cheap meat you could buy there. The chicken breasts were something like $11/kg. I knew they were hosing someone (everyone?) with those prices, but I just couldn't resist... :(

No Frills in my area sells for $3.69/lb fresh boneless skinless breast, and skin-on/bone-in is quite a bit less.

I guess I'm saying that $11/kg isn't worth shelling out for a membership.

Costco really isn't that cheap. They do have some good deals, but I find (generally speaking) the prices are better at No Frills.

Costco really isn't that cheap. They do have some good deals, but I find (generally speaking) the prices are better at No Frills.

For basic groceries you're most certainly better off at No Frills.
But considering their best-in the country return policy for other goods and your membership will more than pay for itself.

For basic groceries you're most certainly better off at No Frills.
But considering their best-in the country return policy for other goods and your membership will more than pay for itself.

I'm not convinced. I don't know what I would buy there but the odd trinket. I've gone on occasion with my sister (and her membership), and saw very little that interested me. I noted their uncompetitive electronics prices, though.

I'm not convinced. I don't know what I would buy there but the odd trinket. I've gone on occasion with my sister (and her membership), and saw very little that interested me. I noted their uncompetitive electronics prices, though.

I remember when my friend's Super Nintendo stopped working (which was purchased from Costco) they were able to exchange it for a Nintendo 64 because the SNES had been discontinued long ago. Now that's a return policy. I'm not sure if Costco still has the same policy but basically everything they sold came with a lifetime extended warranty.

Didn't Lowe's acquire 5 of the 6 Sam's Clubs locations? They must really want to draw market share away from Home Depot.

Yep, every one except Cambridge - the Sam's Club there shares a site with Home Depot. I know Lowe's likes to locate close to Home Depot, but that was ridiculous.

Rona will be caught in the middle. If it lasts, it will be back to a Home Hardware-style operation - small neighbourhood hardware stores in Quebec, and small town lumber stores/yards.

I'm not so sure about that. Rona is quite well established, especially in Quebec. They cover a number of segments with their big-box outlets, smaller franchised stores, etc. The one I am still pegging as "most vulnerable"is Lowe's, although admittedly they are showing staying power. They are still by far the smallest operation in Canada, having come in years after Home Depot.

Needed to shop for Pressure Treated wood for my fence project.

Rona had the lowest prices on 2x4's 1x6's 4x4's ...

I think Home Depot is hurt by being seen as an American company, while Rona is Canadian. I don't think Home Depot has a particularly positive brand image, either. I'm not a big shopper in this market, but I have enjoyed shopping at Rona more than Home Depot (haven't spent any time in a Lowe's yet).

That said, I think a lot of the general merchandise and home products retailers are going to struggle this year, and probably for the next few years.

I think Home Depot is hurt by being seen as an American company, while Rona is Canadian. I don't think Home Depot has a particularly positive brand image, either. I'm not a big shopper in this market, but I have enjoyed shopping at Rona more than Home Depot (haven't spent any time in a Lowe's yet).

Spent a lot of time shopping at all three. They're pretty much the same in terms of service and pricing. Lowes however being new to the scene occasionally gives out $10 off $50 or $25 off $100 cards, both of which I have been able to use quite frequently for my reno project.

Rona will remain, but I can see it closing the big boxes in the Ontario market at least and scaling back. I think it expanded too quickly by opening stores and buying Reno-Depot's English Canada operations and Lansing-Revy. \

What ever happened to Beaver Lumber?

Back