8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Upon entering the city limits, I head straight for the Golden Gate Bridge.

SF1.jpg

Greeted by a M-Ocean View LRV

SF2.jpg

SF3.jpg

The bridge is as magnificent as I expected. I walked halfway across - I would later drive across to Marin County.

SF4.jpg

SF5.jpg

SF6.jpg

SF7.jpg

The cable cars are a lot of fun. The gripman and conductor (all were male) on each ride were friendly, a bit comedic and each one a bit of a character. A great way to see the city. (Tip: the cash fare is $5 per ride on the cable cars, no transfers. Buy a one, three or seven day passport - $11/18/27, with unlimited rides on all Muni vehicles).

SF103.jpg

Taken from the Powell-Mason cable car (obviously on separate occasions):

SF86.jpg

SF8.jpg

SF45.jpg

SF9.jpg

SF10.jpg

SF52.jpg

SF11.jpg

SF13.jpg

At Market Street, are the historic PCCs of the F-Market line, which runs on the Embarcadero at Fisherman’s Wharf to the Castro District. Each is painted in the colours of North American PCC operators. One has been delivered in Toronto colours, but is not yet in service.

SF14.jpg

SF56.jpg

SF57.jpg

A PCC in LA's Pacific Electric colours.

SF102.jpg

Milan Witt laying over in the Castro District.

SF16.jpg

Castro District

SF15.jpg

SF17.jpg

SF18.jpg

SF19.jpg

SF46.jpg

Nearby to the west is the Haight-Asbury District, known as a major hippie centre in the 1960s. Even the clerk at the Ben and Jerry's looked like a hippie.

SF33.jpg

SF34.jpg

SF35.jpg

SF36.jpg

SF37.jpg

SF38.jpg

The requisite picture from Alamo Square.

SF54.jpg

Bay waterfront. Still lined with ferry terminals, cruise ship terminals and former dock buildings. Fisherman's Wharf is mostly tourist-oriented stores and restaurants, two of the three cable cars terminate here as do the F-Market cars. There's lots of parks, but the beaches are on the Pacific Coast, the waterfront parks towards the Golden Gate Bridge/Presido.

SF58.jpg

SF24.jpg

SF25.jpg

Heading back downtown on the Powell-Hyde Line.

SF26.jpg

SF27.jpg

SF28.jpg

SF29.jpg

SF30.jpg

SF31.jpg

I went out to Berkeley as part of a round trip using AC Transit over the Bay Bridge, and back by BART. Travelling though Oakland was interesting - is relatively poor compared to San Francisco, and has a large Black and Hispanic population, while San Francisco is mostly white or Asian (except the southeast, now served by the new T-Third LRT).

Berkeley is a nice town. BART is interesting as it is somewhere between commuter rail and subway, kind of like RER in Paris. It is underground though sections, like most of San Francisco and in downtown Berkeley and Oakland.

SF40.jpg

SF41.jpg

SF42.jpg

SF43.jpg

SF44.jpg

The bus stop sign gave me a chuckle.

SF59.jpg

Chinatown

SF61.jpg

SF60.jpg

SF62.jpg

SF63.jpg

SF64.jpg

SF65.jpg

I rode the new T-Third Street line (opened for regular service only a few weeks before I arrived, just like the CTA Pink Line opened just before I went to Chicago. Nice timing!). It passes through a waterfront redevelopment area that I thought reminded me a lot of Toronto. Read my thoughts here. (Shameless plug for my periodic contributions at Spacing)

SF70.jpg

SF71.jpg

SF72.jpg

SF73.jpg

SF74.jpg

SF75.jpg

SF76.jpg

Upon the advice of several friends, I took the Alcatraz tour. It certainly isn't a tourist trap, the island itself is operated by the National Parks Service, which provided a very interesting self-guided audio tour. I took the evening tour, which included a few extra goodies such as them opening the hospital floor (creepy!) and doing a cell door demonstration. As it also includes a boat tour with a great view of the city, it is highly recommended.

SF77.jpg

SF78.jpg

SF79.jpg

SF80.jpg

SF81.jpg

Going in the evening also ensured a smaller crowd. It was nice being able to take pictures without people in the way.

SF82.jpg

The prison's OR. Creepy!

SF83.jpg

D-Block, the "hole".

SF84.jpg

SF85.jpg

The next day, I take the J-Church Line out past Mission Park. The story of my experience with the J-Church will make into the transportation issues thread I'm writing. Outside the Muni Metro, the route is street-running. However, Church Street is relatively quiet, so traffic is not as much of a problem.

SF87.jpg

Twin Peaks.

SF88.jpg

SF90.jpg

SF20.jpg

SF89.jpg

SF91.jpg

Union Square. All the big department stores (Macy's, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus) and other retailers centre around here. There's a downtown mall, but it's not as busy.

SF104.jpg

SF105.jpg

SF32.jpg

Around Downtown:

SF22.jpg

SF23.jpg

SF66.jpg

SF67.jpg

SF69.jpg

SF50.jpg

SF51.jpg

City Hall. Here, the United Nations was formed in 1945.

SF55.jpg

SF48.jpg

Market Street west of Union Square area is sketchy at night.

SF47.jpg

SF49.jpg

I found the street funiture a bit interesting. The ad pillars are also newstands:

SF21.jpg

There are few bike lanes in SF, and not a lot of bicyclists (understandably), but the signage is rather interesting, they use numbered routes like Toronto adopted.

SF39.jpg

Most bus stops are rather, er, simple.

SF68.jpg

Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin County.

SF92.jpg

SF93.jpg

I've become a Frank Lloyd Wright fan. This is the FLW-designed Marin County Civic Center, which is administrative offices, a court house, a library, amongst other things. It was his last commission before his death. I logged into UT from the library! How many others logged in from a FLW building?

SF94.jpg

SF95.jpg

SF96.jpg

SF97.jpg

SF98.jpg

I left San Francisco heading back south via San Jose by driving across Lombard Street to it's most famous one-block section, and then down Stockton to US 101.

SF99.jpg

Stockton Tunnel.

SF100.jpg

Parting shot, with a BART train entering SFO Airport.

SF101.jpg

Fantastic tour and a nice reminder as to why I was so impressed with SF on my visit. You covered a lot of ground... how long were you there?

Wow. Great shots. Reminds me of the time i was there last year around the same time. I made the mistake of deciding I would walk down market street toward Union Square from around 14th Avenue. I didn't know that the area between 5th and 7th Avenues were so sketchy. Quite scary but the rest of the city is beautiful. Did you drive up to the tops of the twin peaks? Amazing views from up there, not to mention some beautiful neighbourhoods.

Fantastic pics! I like your emphasis on transit infrastructure.
Keep the California pics coming !:cool:

Great tour - thanks!

Never been to Cali, and never thought I'd hear myself saying this: based on your recent threads, and various other similar things I've seen over the years, I've come to suspect that LA may be the more 'interesting' of the two big cities down there. And I see what you mean re SF feeling small-ish. Like I said, I've not been there, but I get the impression that your photos capture the 'real' SF to a greater extent than one typically sees. Thanks again.

Excellent phototour. Some beautiful buildings in SanFran. City's with varied terrain are often more interesting and afford some spectacular views. It doesn't hurt to be near some of the most stunning coastline anywhere. Gotta be impressed by the Golden Gate- truly an amazing structure.

san fran = wheelchair hell!!

great photos! love those conduit cars!

There's another FLW building, right in the city, on that private street with the gate in the photo upthread. It has a great arched entrance, and a circular ramp that anticipates his later design for the Guggenheim Museum in New York.

You certainly got to see lots Sean - I think you've left a number of things for another trip though too! Ride any BART at all?

ST: Great SF Pix from your trip! I spent time in SF in late 2000-I remember alot of what you photographed. I recall that MUNI passes had restrictions on use on the Cable Cars-weeklies were NOT valid but monthlies WERE. My SF host purchased a monthly-I just would swap and borrow his monthly for the time period. They were just $9/week back then. My host lived near the SE corner of Golden Gate Park between Carl and Parnassus Streets just half a block from the N-Judah LRT line. Haight-Ashbury was about a 15 minute walk away. Most of those PCC cars on the F LRT line were purchased secondhand from Philadelphia's SEPTA. The bike signs are neat-by the way my host then is a SF traffic engineer who personally designed those signs. Later you went to Lombard Street-the street nearby that I found most interesting was the block of Filbert Street two short blocks S-this block has a 30.5% grade-the steepest street in SF. The biggest problems with the cable cars as an example were the lines at their terminals. I remember exploring the streets I just named and ending up jumping off at Fisherman's Wharf-upon seeing the very long line-perhaps a block long-to board the cable cars there,I found another route back to Market Street. I explored the entire BART system when I was there as well as explored East Bay communities such as Berkeley and Oakland myself. The weather there is almost always moderate due to the Meditterenean Climate SF has-also being the liberal city it is it has the highest per capita homeless population in the USA. It would be interesting to go there this year-the 40th anniversary of the Summer Of Love. Insight and memories from LI MIKE

Nice pix!

Did you drive up to the "twin peaks"? It gave a gorgeous view of the city.

I find the Cable Car's fun to ride, but not very efficient. I paid $2 each ride in 2002, wow, it's $5 now? Guess I shouldn't bitch about our TTC fare hike, lol.

What do you think of Fisherman's Warf? I find it's over-rated. Our waterfront is nicer, but of course, it's not as well visited.

Castro's much, much better than Church for sure! Lots more shops and restaurants.

Nice pix!

Did you drive up to the "twin peaks"? It gave a gorgeous view of the city.

I find the Cable Car's fun to ride, but not very efficient. I paid $2 each ride in 2002, wow, it's $5 now? Guess I shouldn't bitch about our TTC fare hike, lol.

What do you think of Fisherman's Warf? I find it's over-rated. Our waterfront is nicer, but of course, it's not as well visited.

Castro's much, much better than Church for sure! Lots more shops and restaurants.

No, I never ended up driving up to the top of Twin Peaks, thought that was on my list of things to do (as well as ride BART out through the mountains to Dublin-Pleasanton, which must be the stupidist subway extension in NA, though BART is very political).

The Cable Cars are a tourist attraction for the most part. If you have a Muni monthy pass, it also includes them. I guess the $5 is a punitive fare for not knowing better - I guess they do cost much to operate, with a two-person crew and upkeep, etc.

Fisherman's Wharf is overrated for sure, and yes, our downtown waterfront is better, but of course SF has so much more of it - next time I would like to check out the Pacific beaches area.

Fisherman's Wharf is overrated for sure, and yes, our downtown waterfront is better, but of course SF has so much more of it - next time I would like to check out the Pacific beaches area.

That's why when I was there, I was a bit sad to see that Fisherman's Wharf got so much attention and so well known that it became a must visit for tourists whereas our waterfront, which is much better, being overlooked.

Back