8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Ervin

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been lurking on these forums for a while and decided to finally register to post this:

For those of you who've used Google satellite view in the past probably know that the images there are grossly outdated (by several years) and generally ugly because they were taken in the fall. Well just yesterday the satellite view has been updated so that now it's even newer than street view, and with summer pictures to top it off.

Go check it out.

Saw this the other day; looks great. Also amazing how much more filled-in the west-of-Downtown area looks now.

Ah, much better... the Pure Spirits building in the Distillery now actually exists, instead of the old parking lot that was 5 years out-of-date. Even the construction for the second tower (Clear Spirit?) has begun, which timestamps the photo as sometime around late summer, I would guess.

Ah, much better... the Pure Spirits building in the Distillery now actually exists, instead of the old parking lot that was 5 years out-of-date. Even the construction for the second tower (Clear Spirit?) has begun, which timestamps the photo as sometime around late summer, I would guess.

The photo was taken on September 29.

Are you sure about that? I happened to notice that the CNE is actively taking place in these updated satellite views which would place it pre-Labour Day.

Ya, what a welcome update this is, makes the city look much better!

Are you sure about that? I happened to notice that the CNE is actively taking place in these updated satellite views which would place it pre-Labour Day.

Ya, what a welcome update this is, makes the city look much better!

According to Google Earth it is from September 29.

The 'historical imagery' bar says September 29, 2009.. but the "Imagery Date" on the bottom left says "August 31, 2009" which is more likely.

The 'historical imagery' bar says September 29, 2009.. but the "Imagery Date" on the bottom left says "August 31, 2009" which is more likely.

I never noticed that. Seems to be accurate. The leaves wouldn't have been as green as they are in the new photo, at the end of September.

I would guess it's Sunday August 30th. The car traffic isn't weekday traffic and a double headed GO Train is just passing Fort York after dropping off passengers at the CNE probably for the 10am opening.

I would guess it's Sunday August 30th. The car traffic isn't weekday traffic and a double headed GO Train is just passing Fort York after dropping off passengers at the CNE probably for the 10am opening.

That's my guess too.

Reasons:
- The double-headed GO Train.
- A very small trickle of people already on the stands for the airshow.
- Parking lots at subway stations almost empty, and all clustered near the entrances (Wilson, Finch). Later Sunday start.
- Only one PCC stored at Russell (Connaught) yards. The TTC had one of the two PCCs on the 509 route running mid morning to late afternoon. Since not running on Queen/King/Spadina into service, is either under the Gardiner in a line-up or the Ex Loop, or in the Bay St Tunnel.

Back