News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I went to a library once and it was literally packed with so many people I could not move. Also every person I know has two library cards.

There. Now your anecdotal evidence is cancelled out.

(Also: people using computers at a library is a good thing. It's one of the more important services libraries provide, especially to low-income people.)

I don't know one adult that has a library card.

I've got one! Since retiring, last fall, I'm living delightfully "off the grid" ... with no cell phone, or computer at home ... and only go online at a library. At the moment I'm in the one at Gerrard and Broadview, and the other 12 terminals are all taken up - mostly with adults.

In the past hour I visited the Brookbanks library, about a dozen people plus 3 or 4 staff and the Parkway Plaza branch had about 2 dozen people plus a staff of about 6. Not an exact tally but these inner suburb locations were busier than I expected today.

I've ALWAYS had a library card and I think just about everyone I know has one. (for sure, everyone in my family) Every time I go to a library, they are crowded and well used. I have lots of library materials in my home right now. (books, DVDs, CDs) We need more libraries, not less.

Last edited:
Way to go Chapters!

And wow? More than NYC! That's amazing. I guess Torontians DO use their libraries, and some of them must have cards for sure.

The TPL is really one of those things that Toronto does better than anyone else. It's something that makes us unique and something to be proud of.

But, sure, let's cut it.

"New York City public libraries lent out 24 million volumes in 2010; Toronto’s lent out over 32 million."

Not to take anything away from TPL, but be careful when looking at those NYC numbers. NYC's public library system never amalgamated like ours did. There is the NYC Public Library (Manhattan, Staten Island, and the Bronx), the Queen's Borough Library, and the Brooklyn Public Library. That 24 million figure is, I believe, only for NYC. Brooklyn's circulation numbers are around 17 million (2008) for a borough roughly the size of Toronto: http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/pdf/about/generalfact.pdf

Just saying.

That poll has obviously been compromised by the organised unions in Doug Ford's head.

Last edited:

Back