News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Have you ever been to Malvern? For one thing, it's far from a slum. It's filled with $400,000+ single family homes.

This is definitely one of your most paranoid racist conspiracy theories. Statscan collects a wide variety of data about all aspects of households. I can't believe I have to say that it's not a guide to avoiding neighbourhoods with races different from your own. To add to the absurdity, it wouldn't even be particularly useful for that purpose: a quick drive down the streets of any neighbourhood would be far more effective.

So now Malvern is a slum...this proves one of two statements, either 1) you've never been to Malvern, or 2) you don't know what a slum is.

For the less than 5% of criminals in Malvern there's 95% of residents who are law-abiding.

OMG, you mean not every person in Malvern is a criminal??? Wow, I'm gonna have to sit down for a minute to take this all in.

Link to article

Does Scarborough get short shrift when it comes to city services? A report to be released at Scarborough Community Council today examines whether or not Scarborough gets its fair share of the city’s services. Reporter Dave McGinn spoke to Norm Kelly, chair of Scarborough’s Community Council, who initiated the report.

Q Is there anything in the report that surprised you?
Kelly: What surprised me is that, aside from the TTC, which has always been a metro agency, any of the deficiencies that were noted could be traced to the former City of Scarborough. That surprised me.

Q Where did the report come from?
Kelly: It came out of the experience of many of the councillors during the last election. A lot of us were told by residents that they didn’t think Scarborough was getting its fair share in the new city. It was a very widespread sentiment.

Q So the next time people approach you saying they think Scarborough doesn’t get its fair share, with this report in hand, what do you tell them?
Kelly: I think you say, “You know what, I think we are.â€

Q An inferiority complex might not be the right term, but is there a pervasive sense in Scarborough that it gets short shrift from the city?
Kelly: In talking with my colleagues, I think that’s a theme that runs through the body politic in Scarborough.

Q Let’s play Complete This Sentence. When people hear “Scarborough†they think …
Kelly: They think it’s run-down strip malls, miles of ugly asphalt, crime-ridden and with drab-looking streets and that big tall building that looks like it was built by the Kremlin and everybody’s shaking because they fear for their lives.

Q And when people hear “Scarborough†you want them to think …
Kelly: Be amazed at the diversity of Scarborough and at the very strong sense of community that we have in Scarborough in all its various neighbourhoods.

Q Do you cringe when you hear people refer to “Scarberia�
Kelly: Absolutely. One of the things I’m trying to get off the ground is a photo exhibition of Scarborough. I want to send it around to libraries and have it entitled “What part of Toronto do you think these photos were taken in?†I think we’ve got neighbourhoods and streets that would knock your socks off.

Q Last year you implored the media reporting on crime in Scarborough to refer to specific areas, such as intersections where incidents occur, instead of saying things like “another shooting in Scarborough.†Do you think the media has a bias against Scarborough?
Kelly: I think that’s an a prior assumption here in Scarborough. It may be the media just reflects the stereotypical opinions held by most Torontonians when they think of Scarborough.

Q If you were tasked with coming up with a tourist slogan for Scarborough, what would it be?
Kelly: That’s a good question. Often, the hardest thing to come up with are slogans. We’ll ask the Post to ask its Scarborough readers to come up with something.

Q What needs to be done to help Scarborough get over the sense that it’s the ugly stepchild of the megacity family?
Kelly: That’s going to be a difficult and time-consuming task. I’m hoping that this photo exhibition I’m trying to get together and getting it toured through Toronto will help. We’re also going to try and get a five-kilometre run off the ground. We’ll run through some of the showcase communities so that when people are reporting on it they’ll see some really good stuff. But first impressions are hard to overcome.

City Councillor Norm Kelly is asking National Post readers from Scarborough to come up with a tourist slogan for their fair former city. Please send your submissions — even if you’re not from Scarborough — to thecity@nationalpost.com. In keeping with National Post humour policies, we’ll allow some gentle ribbing of Scarborough, but do keep in mind the many pleasant corners of Toronto’s easternmost quarter.

I watched Glenn de Baeremaeker campaign and at every possible moment, he went on about how shortchanged Scarborough was.

Star

Link to article

CHALLENGING STEREOTYPES
TheStar.com | GTA | Don't call it `Scarlem'

Scarborough councillors to debate today if area gets fair shake from city
Jan 15, 2008 04:30 AM
John Spears
city hall bureau

Are they just whiners? Or are folks in Scarborough unfairly deprived and disrespected by their Toronto cousins who live west of Victoria Park Ave.?

It's a topic that vexes Scarborough politicians so much they've decided to debate, at today's community council meeting, whether their community gets a fair shake.

The talking points:

A report commissioned by the council that delves into city statistics to see whether Scarborough gets its fair share of city services.

An invitation to Toronto Life magazine representatives to discuss an article portraying the former city as a bleak, gang-infested "Scarlem."

A frustration that, once again, the city's Winterlicious restaurant promotion has bypassed every eatery in Scarborough.

Councillor Norm Kelly, who chairs Scarborough community council, decided to face the area's stigma head-on following the 2006 elections. During the campaign, Kelly said he found a "widespread and deeply held apprehension" that Scarborough has been shortchanged.

At Kelly's urging, the councillors hired two University of Toronto students to measure whether Scarborough's share of 10 city services is appropriate.

The result: It's hard to tell.

The students concluded that, statistically, Scarborough gets a fair share of children's services, long-term care services, roads and social housing. They could only say it's "uncertain" whether Scarborough's share of hostels, libraries, parks, policing, transit and water service is appropriate.

For example, Scarborough has fewer library branches, but has more books in its library collection than other parts of the city – and Scarborough residents are Toronto's biggest library borrowers.

As for policing, Scarborough has 20 per cent of the city's police officers but 24 per cent of the population. But the students also found that Scarborough has a lower crime rate than the rest of the city, which might explain the lighter policing. (The report is unclear about what yardstick it uses to measure crime.)

Kelly said in an interview that the exercise demonstrates why stereotypes ought to be challenged: "The more they (researchers) got into it, the more all of us realized it was a much more complex issue than most people think it is.

"The facts are, by and large, we are getting our fair share, and we're not Scarlem," Kelly said. "It's safer to live east of Victoria Park than west."

Moreover, he said, fields where the researchers found deficiencies were mainly those that had been controlled by the local Scarborough council prior to amalgamation.

But some councillors say irritants persist. Councillor Michael Thompson noted the city's Winterlicious program has once again left out Scarborough restaurants. Most of the participants in the fine-dining promotion are in the city core.

Thompson, in an interview, laid much of the blame on criteria used by city staff to define who's eligible. To be eligible, restaurants must be rated by two of three specified publications: the Zagat Survey, Patron's Pick and Toronto Life Annual Eating and Drinking Guide. Thompson said restaurants outside the city centre are less likely to be rated.

A city official said 260 restaurants qualified for Winterlicious – with only two in Scarborough, and both declined the invitation.

I know one of the authors of Kelly's report, but I haven't discussed at length with her about the report. She lives just across the Scarborough border in Markham, yet most of her daily activities take place south of the border... school, church, dining, etc. So she is viewing Scarborough both as an outsider and an insider.

The whole thing about Scarborough's nicknames (Scarberia and Scarlem) is just ridiculous. What the media and the councillors are making of those names isn't how the average Scarberian (or is it "Scarborougher" now?) see it. The average person from Scarborough would probably laugh off the nicknames, rather than get offended by them, just like the nicknames of Scarborough neighbourhoods like "Asian-court" and "Wo-brown". Some people are even proud of being from a place called "Scarlem"... for example, another one of my friends (see photo).

There used to be one Chinese restaurant in Scarborough that was involved in Winterlicious (Dragon Dynasty, at Brimley and Huntingwood). I'd like to see some more Chinese restaurants get into Winterlicious (like Sam Woo, which I heard is Unimaginative's favorite Chinese restaurant). Problem is, prices at Chinese restaurants are already so competitive that they can't lower their prices any more for Winterlicious.

They should drop the Harlem reference. Has the author been to Harlem lately? It's not what it used to be.

This type of poorly research, over-emphasized and non-representative article is yet another reason why I'm about to give up on following any of the mainstream Toronto Media.

Scarborough is so geographically huge and each area is different (Ie north & south of 401), that any generalization of the suburb is ridiculous. Plus I find Scarborough is developing at a very rapid pace so hopefully perceptions will change.

i wonder what you people have to say bout my hood markham and eglinton.born and raised.

I like that c1960 plaza at the NE corner--its curve, its curtain wall, the fact that it's survived surprisingly unmolested...

the media makes it seem so bad when its the media its self. i cant lie i was born and raised in scarbz and i love it and im moveing back cause im in b town but you see all these gangster videos and it provokes those kinda areas. canada in my eyes is wants to be like america mostley the ghetto parts.i was in the bronx for a minute and its so simillar so yea. like the police also keep brining it up which also provokes them to look cool and go on a shooting spree. my unlce was shot dead infront of me. look it up on google. delroy dareing markham and eglinton its one of the worst.regent park was bad but they did that who renovation. im related to point blank their canadian rappers from RP.

Scarborough councillors seeking a slogan
John Spears
TORONTO STAR
City Hall Bureau
Feb 13, 2008 04:30 AM

A slogan for Scarborough?

Councillors from Toronto's most easterly precinct put their psyches on display once more as they polled themselves on the best choice for a civic slogan.

Just a month after debating whether Scarborough gets its fair share in Toronto (the conclusion: yes), Scarborough community council was back at it yesterday, pondering 60 different proposals for a slogan.

Suggestions ran from the cute (The city from A to Zoo) to scathing (City of the rising sun and unsettling gun).

But Councillor Norm Kelly, who chairs the council, said the public agonizing is slowly changing Scarborough's not-so-nice image in the eyes of its fellow Torontonians.

"My colleagues and I have made a point," Kelly said.

"How do you get a donkey's attention? Hit it over the head with a two-by-four. I think in essence we've done that with the fuss we've raised."

Not everyone agreed.

"The more they concern themselves, the worse their image becomes," moaned Councillor Brian Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest).

"Barack Obama couldn't save Scarborough's image at this point."

Kelly said it might be interesting to find out if any of New York's boroughs have official slogans.

The Star called the office of Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz to find out.

"No, there's no official one," said the president's press secretary, Mark Zustovich.

But the Brooklyn website offers a video clip of Markowitz saying: "Welcome to Brooklyn, where New York City begins."

There are advantages to Scarborough's image as a poor cousin, Kelly noted.

"When the residents of Scarborough complain about the image, often they'll say our property values may be lower, but that means our taxes are lower," he said.

"From this point on, we should be concerned about developing positive features about the city."

The councillors held a straw poll among themselves to pick their top three choices, but made no final selection.

Kelly had his own suggestion: "Why don't we ask your readers to make the final choice?"

=============================================================

The Toronto Star is also running a poll on this matter here: http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/303094

Are they serious with those lame catchphrases? No surprise, I voted none of the above. I'm no jinglist, but even I can come up with better themes:

-Take a ride on the east side
-Toronto's other third. What are you waiting to do?
-From Zoo to Rouge, SCC and Pacific Mall, big and small we've got 'em all.
-See you on our bluffs and our creeks, our golf courses and ski peaks.
-Where tradition meets cosmopolitan, nature compliments urban
-For a quieter pace, Scarborough's no rat race

See, not that hard. Now if only I could market Brampton :rolleyes:. Hmm...

Pearson's not in Toronto, but it's Toronto's airport nontheless. If we can capaitalize on a major tourist attraction being located right on the Scarborough border (Kennedy/Steeles), I say go for it.

Back