News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Do you support school vouchers?

• Total voters

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_voucher

In parts of the United States, some states give out school vouchers to allow those with a household income below a certain level to be able to attend private school for free or at a discount. Often, those private schools are religious in nature and school vouchers are popular with those opposed to secular education.

Outside of the United States (as well as in the United States), school vouchers allow those who are racially marginalized to attend the more prestigious schools.

However, I am opposed to this idea, since it is an excuse to cut education funding and encourage the privatization of education.

One possible reason why Ontario does not do school vouchers, aside from significant criticism, is because Ontario has publicly funded Catholic schools (I personally don't support government-funded religious schools, especially those for a single denomination). Not just that, but school vouchers are generally not used in Canada.

What do you think?

Interesting. I feel like by-default we already have an affordable workaround for average people to attend a school with the attributes of one that's 'private'. And that'd be French Immersion. Somehow I doubt the US has an equivalent (Spanish Immersion?). And I believe with some states there can be special needs schools that have a more elite private feel, but that's dependent on state. Places like Vermont or New Hampshire or Connecticut may have the wherewithal to pull it off, whereas Michigan or Alabama may not.

And agreed, time to abolish Catholic Schools. Too weird. And if we allow that then why stop there, why not a Jewish or Islam or Spaghetti Monster school board. Just dissolve their silly archaic board and make it part of the alternative system. TCDSB is also sitting on a lot of valuable *public* real estate that I think wasn't evaluated like the TDSB property revue a couple years back.

And agreed, time to abolish Catholic Schools. Too weird. And if we allow that then why stop there, why not a Jewish or Islam or Spaghetti Monster school board. Just dissolve their silly archaic board and make it part of the alternative system. TCDSB is also sitting on a lot of valuable *public* real estate that I think wasn't evaluated like the TDSB property revue a couple years back.
If you’re going to object to religious schools — which is your prerogative (ironically, due to a Judeo-Christian ethic that you take for granted) — I would advise you to accurately critique what it is that theists actually believe in, rather than parroting hackneyed, intellectually lazy caricatures, such as the “Spaghetti Monster.” No one believes in such a thing.

Re your “archaic board” comment: what, specifically, are you referring to?

Not all private schools are "elite" and all "elite" schools (e.g. UCC, BSS, Havergal) offer numerous bursaries to families - more than they did when I was there. I was just at my 20 year reunion and one faculty member commented on how more and more Old Girls (alumnae) are supporting bursaries when it was very difficult just a couple of decades ago (tuition at my alma mater is, let's just say, well over 25K/year). There are other ways for families to pay for schools should they want to send their kids to them. Sure, some require certain qualifications beyond academics and financial need (e.g. being a child of alumni), but there are more options now.

Not all private schools are "elite" and all "elite" schools (e.g. UCC, BSS, Havergal) offer numerous bursaries to families - more than they did when I was there. I was just at my 20 year reunion and one faculty member commented on how more and more Old Girls (alumnae) are supporting bursaries when it was very difficult just a couple of decades ago (tuition at my alma mater is, let's just say, well over 25K/year). There are other ways for families to pay for schools should they want to send their kids to them. Sure, some require certain qualifications beyond academics and financial need (e.g. being a child of alumni), but there are more options now.
What about newer elite private schools such as Fieldstone (on Dufferin just south of Lawrence) and Hudson College (on Dufferin just north of St. Clair)?

If you’re going to object to religious schools — which is your prerogative (ironically, due to a Judeo-Christian ethic that you take for granted)...

Oh, do go on. You have my full and undivided attention in seeking an explanation of this idea.

If you’re going to object to religious schools — which is your prerogative (ironically, due to a Judeo-Christian ethic that you take for granted) — I would advise you to accurately critique what it is that theists actually believe in, rather than parroting hackneyed, intellectually lazy caricatures, such as the “Spaghetti Monster.” No one believes in such a thing.

Re your “archaic board” comment: what, specifically, are you referring to?
Not true, at least two of my mates are card carrying members of the spaghetti monster order. Most religions are focused on silly hats and blind faith. Why are the spaghetti guys different?

Parents in the know already can access the ability to go to different schools of their choosing. Cabbagetown is lacking in good schools, so we sent kids to extended French program in the beaches area.

Back