News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I wonder if an improvement to the PATH access on the west side is being contemplated? As well, the office building may be an opportunity for expansion for hotel/event/retail purposes as it is 12? storeys high and everything around it is now 70-105.

Reactions: JBR
It will be interesting to see what $350M will be getting Scotiabank Arena compared to the absolute load of garbage that FirstOntario Centre is getting for $280M.

After the 2023-24 Leafs and Raptors season Soctiabank Arena revealed renderings on X (Formerly as Twitter). Major Renovations will be beginning in Spring 2024.

IMG_2552.jpeg
IMG_2553.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2555.jpeg
IMG_2556.jpeg
IMG_2557.jpeg
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2559.jpeg
IMG_2561.jpeg
IMG_2560.jpeg

I wonder if an improvement to the PATH access on the west side is being contemplated? As well, the office building may be an opportunity for expansion for hotel/event/retail purposes as it is 12? storeys high and everything around it is now 70-105.
I sure hope so as the PATH access is DREADFUL and certainly not AODA compliant. The long and steep stairs are a total barrier for many and the (tiny) elevator is outside, not signposted and usually out of order! It is a unique link between QQE and Union
PATH.png

Agreed ^ that path connection is pretty busy, especially with the connection to waterpark place

I also wonder if they're going to give this section a makeover - now that the connection to cibc square is complete it would make sense to give this area a refresh as it's currently very dark and dated.

1696955789694.png

They should also work on the exterior of Scotiabank Arena, especially the Maple Leaf Square aka Jurassic Park. Maybe create a Freemont Experience type structure which covers that area from the elements and allows programmable visuals to be broadcasted and maybe pedestrianize that whole street uptil York and extend the Freemont Experience structure all the way there.

Reactions: JBR
The exterior of the arena is looking undeniably bleak as it currently stands. The Bay Street side's lighting is so weak that it's virtually non-existent, the south end is just an unforgettable unpleasant mess to walk by, while the Bremner side seems so cramped in but i'm not sure much can be improved there since MLSE chose to bestow the Maple Leaf Square condos on us.

So more spots for the suits to NOT watch the games, perfect! LOL

Agreed ^ that path connection is pretty busy, especially with the connection to waterpark place

I also wonder if they're going to give this section a makeover - now that the connection to cibc square is complete it would make sense to give this area a refresh as its currently very dark and dated.

View attachment 512159

As long as the refresh respects the integrity of the 1940 Canada Post Delivery Building. Far too often, they're blind to the gem in front of them and simply try to make interiors look modern or current. The 1940s sections that survived are the last beautiful bits left. Instead of destroying more of it, they need to restore, or even re-incorporate Art Deco elements.

If Toronto wants to be amongst the great global cities of consequence, appreciation for architecture matters. It's not about how much we build, but the quality of what we build.

The 1940s elements are classy, elegant, and sophisticated
The rest is cheap, crude, and soul less by comparison
1697073100775.png

1697073120930.png

Last edited:

Back