News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

You guys are debating whether this is a rendering? lol.. it is! You couldn't tell by the top edge and the artificial sparkles here and there?

I'm not sure the construction is finished yet but I'd love to see the end result. It sounds like they're building more than one.

^ Or the CN Tower could install an outdoor observation deck without barriers. Macau Tower has one around the outside of its "sky pod" where visitors can walk around with nothing but fall protection gear.

Combining something like this with a glass floor would be really crazy.

skywalk200.jpg

Macau-Tower-Skywalk-X.jpg

This would never fly in Toronto. Too much of a safety risk.

Once this is open, and if it looks as good as the render, I'll have to pen in a visit to Chicago. Looks amazing.

i wonder how much the cleaning staff will have to clean all the brown lumps off the floor:)

Sears Tower unveils 103rd floor glass balconies

CHICAGO – Visitors to the Sears Tower's new glass balconies all seem to agree: The first step is the hardest.

The balconies are suspended 1,353 feet in the air and jut out four feet from the building's 103rd floor Skydeck. Their transparent walls, floor and ceiling leave visitors with the impression they're floating over the city.

"It's like walking on ice," said Margaret Kemp, of Bishop, Calif., who said her heart was still pounding even after stepping away from the balcony. "That first step you take — 'am I going down?'"

Kemp was among the visitors who got a sneak preview of the balconies Wednesday. "The Ledge," as the balconies have been nicknamed, open to the public Thursday. Visitors are treated to unobstructed views of Chicago from the building's west side and a heart-stopping vista of the street and Chicago River below — for those brave enough to look straight down.

John Huston, one of the property owners of the Sears Tower, even admitted to getting "a little queasy" the first time he ventured out. But 30 or 40 trips later, he's got the hang of it.

"The Sears Tower has always been about superlatives — tallest, largest, most iconic," he said. "Today is also about superlatives. Today, we present you with 'the Ledge,' the world's most awesome view, the world's most precipitous view, the view with the most wow in the world."

The balconies can hold five tons, and the glass is an inch-and-a-half thick, officials said. Sears Tower officials have said the inspiration for the balconies came from the hundreds of forehead prints visitors left behind on Skydeck windows every week. Now, staff will have a new glass surface to clean: floors.

"It's very scary, but at the same time it's very cool," said Chanti Lawrence of Atlanta, adding that she's made her first step toward overcoming her fear of heights.

Adam Kane, 10, of Alton, Ill., rushed to the ledge with his friends and siblings, and they each eagerly pressed their faces to the glass bottom.

"Look at all those tiny things that are usually huge," Adam said.

The balconies are just one of the big changes coming to the Sears Tower. The building's name will change to Willis Tower later this summer. Last week, officials announced a 5-year, $350 million green renovation complete with wind turbines, roof gardens and solar panels.

With the ledge, visitors like Kemp said the nation's tallest building has succeeded in creating something they've never seen before.

"I had to live 70 years for a thrill like this," she said.

:eek: check out those photos
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/us_sears_tower_ledge;_ylt=AiKi8l_a26TG4vIhqaZ0mXhsaMYA

Looks amazing, except that it's a pretty small area, it could get crowded.

The new glass boxes at the Sears Tower...

Everyone: I saw a news report on this today-I remember that this was talked about and it just makes the Sears Tower Skydeck even a bigger attraction when you visit Chicago. It is not for those scared of heights...
Another thought-it may be a memorable place to view a thunderstorm...
LI MIKE

I DID IT!!! take a look

From the ground
Chicago 2009 079.jpg

Chicago 2009 115.jpg

Chicago 2009 113.jpg

Looking across
Chicago 2009 122.jpg

What holds it up
Chicago 2009 123.jpg

Click to enlarge

I have more if you guys want to see.

Attachments

• Chicago 2009 079.jpg
    Chicago 2009 079.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Chicago 2009 115.jpg
    Chicago 2009 115.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Chicago 2009 113.jpg
    Chicago 2009 113.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 294
  • Chicago 2009 122.jpg
    Chicago 2009 122.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 299
  • Chicago 2009 123.jpg
    Chicago 2009 123.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 293
Its a shame that they will be changing the name of the building. I think the Sears connection deserves to live on. I just bought a dvd about the Sears Tower at one of those discount outlets at the CNE earlier this week. Already its out of date...

Its a shame that they will be changing the name of the building. I think the Sears connection deserves to live on. I just bought a dvd about the Sears Tower at one of those discount outlets at the CNE earlier this week. Already its out of date...
They have already changed it. its been like that for two months now its really to bad. imo willis tower sounds stupid...... lets go to the sears tower is way better than lets go to the Willis tower. it sucks for architechture fans in chicago i would be pissed if i lived there.

They have already changed it. its been like that for two months now its really to bad. imo willis tower sounds stupid...... lets go to the sears tower is way better than lets go to the Willis tower. it sucks for architechture fans in chicago i would be pissed if i lived there.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!

Back