News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I was thinking the other day about the "City Beautification Ensemble," that guerilla art collective from about 10 years ago that painted the city's grey infrastructure like sidewalks and bike locks with radiant colours. I'm not sure if vestiges of their work still remain. It was mildly successful in sparking discussions about the relatively lifeless state of Toronto's public amenities and streetscapes, something that we could really use now.

More info about them:
http://visiblecity.info.yorku.ca/city-beautification-ensemble/

It's an arms length organization, with 3 city nominee (councillors) on the board - so the city can influence, but can't rule it a fiat even though it is the owner of the utility. Besides it would be very difficult to fund any public realm project out of the Hydro budget partly because any increase in electricity rates will have to be approved by the province, who would loath bad press in that regard (plus, it isn't their "core mission"). The best way forward isn't expecting TH to do the work out of their own pocket - but to promptly sign off on projects funded by the city or other third parties.

AoD
Sounds like another aspect that could be made more efficient if Toronto were to succeed from the province.

Why is the Salomon Fountain beside the aquarium turned off? We finally got that thing working in time for the Pan-Am Games, after being broken for a few years, and now it's back to not working. Well, it wasn't working today, when I walked by. What's up with that?

Not much left of concrete utility pole on Kennedy Rd.: The Fixer
The base of the pole is badly eroded and looks to be held up mainly by metal reinforcing rods.

pole-hole.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/...ete-utility-pole-on-kennedy-rd-the-fixer.html

Why is the Salomon Fountain beside the aquarium turned off? We finally got that thing working in time for the Pan-Am Games, after being broken for a few years, and now it's back to not working. Well, it wasn't working today, when I walked by. What's up with that?

Now that the Pan Am tourists are gone we are defaulting back to our prior behaviour?

AoD

Don't worry. The fountain should be fixed in time for the Olympics.
As noted somewhere else on this thread the salmon fountain is about to be properly fixed. The local BIA paid to have it fixed so it worked for the PAG but it apparently needs a complete new tile job. The City was always planning to shut it down once PAG was over and I am actually quite pleased they have done so so soon - it may actually be possible to get the fixing finished this fall and the frost so that next year it will work properly. It's a fantastic fountain - or water feature - when working and a large garbage bin when it isn't. I think the BIA are helping pay for the full restoration too.

As noted somewhere else on this thread the salmon fountain is about to be properly fixed. The local BIA paid to have it fixed so it worked for the PAG but it apparently needs a complete new tile job. The City was always planning to shut it down once PAG was over and I am actually quite pleased they have done so so soon - it may actually be possible to get the fixing finished this fall and the frost so that next year it will work properly. It's a fantastic fountain - or water feature - when working and a large garbage bin when it isn't. I think the BIA are helping pay for the full restoration too.

Is it? I thought the problem has already been fixed permanently:

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/...fountain-are-fish-out-of-water-the-fixer.html

STATUS: Ray Stukas, manger of downtown parks, confirmed that the pump system was fixed, but the fountain was still leaking into the parking garage. Another investigation determined that granite tiles along the back of the fountain were cracked, allowing water to escape. The tiles are now fixed and the fountain will be refilled by the weekend, he said

Like seriously, at this rate the fountain had been dry more often than not (winterizing excluded, and it might be the case already). And if they can't prioritize the fountain to work during the time when it matters (i.e. summer), why bother?

AoD

Last edited:
Is it? I thought the problem has already been fixed permanently:

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/...fountain-are-fish-out-of-water-the-fixer.html

Like seriously, at this rate the fountain had been dry more often than not (winterizing excluded, and it might be the case already). And if they can't prioritize the fountain to work during the time when it matters (i.e. summer), why bother?

AoD

Interesting that it may now be permanently fixed, I hope so. In June 2015 the Entertainment District BIA told me:

"We are contributing to the cost to fully restore the fountain. This year, the City will do some repair to get it operational in time for the Pan Am Games.

Spring of 2016, the full restoration will take place."

"We are contributing to the cost to fully restore the fountain. This year, the City will do some repair to get it operational in time for the Pan Am Games.

Spring of 2016, the full restoration will take place."

Well, that sounds pretty definitive in comparison to the Star article. Thanks for the info - and we will of course be watching.

AoD

Why is it, we need to depend on BIAs to keep a fountain running? Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the city? I don't think depending on BIAs is the way to run a city.

The fountain was on again when I walked by on Friday night. One thing I noticed is that there were a lot of people around the fountain, although it was completely dark. You could hardly see anything but people were still taking pictures. Why not put some lights on the fountain, so it can look great day & night. It is a major tourist destination that is still well used at night, so I think it deserves some good quality lighting. And for god's sake, keep this fountain in good running order. There is no excuse for this city to let its fountains fall apart.

I really like that fountain, might be the best in the city, and it's position near the aquarium is terrific.

How about placing a message on our waste bins similar to this? Would such a gesture make people second guess dropping their trash on the ground and instead dispose of it the proper way?

image.JPG

City litter bins used to say "litter in its place please". A small reminder will help curb litter somewhat, but it probably won't make a noticeable difference.

Back