News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yes I live here.

Downtown in fact.

If you do something creative Toronto is a great place.

There’s no reason to go out, the weather is awful and everything is delivered.

Fortunately because I write i’m “fully remote” and stopped going out years ago.

I have fond memories of city in the 70s and 80s, but after 1990 Toronto became directionless and receded into a state of violence, chaos and shabbiness.
That is really a VERY sad post; if you could manage to venture out with an open mind you really might have a happier life!

00155FC4-46E8-4C8B-BD25-388138812B06.jpeg

Seatless benches on Parliament south of Dundas

I would say these are benches that used to belong to the school - shabby, yes. City property, probably no.

Correct.

Property lines:

1659962444808.png

So this site is now under the responsibility/ownership of the TDCSB.

Yes I live here.

Downtown in fact.

If you do something creative Toronto is a great place.

There’s no reason to go out, the weather is awful and everything is delivered.

Fortunately because I write i’m “fully remote” and stopped going out years ago.

I have fond memories of city in the 70s and 80s, but after 1990 Toronto became directionless and receded into a state of violence, chaos and shabbiness.
What a horrible way to live.

The policy is to feel sorry for them and let them do whatever the hell they want.

That's not true. There are serious problems with public policy around homelessness in this City, but that is something you just made up.

What’s the City’s policy on encampments in public parks? Allan Gardens now has at least two dozen tents. Is the City finding alternative housing, or is the policy just the look away?

The City does have social workers going around and trying to see if people are willing to go to shelters and or SRO style housing (typically hotels leased by the City, currently).

I saw 2 workers out doing this on University Avenue by Osgoode Hall a couple of weeks back.

That said, there is near zero capacity in City shelters. On a good night, they may have 40 spots open, in the entire City.

On a bad night, zero.

That's not acceptable. But it does create a conundrum, if you ask people to move on, and there is nowhere to move on to..........

I'm not ok w/park encampments.........

But I also understand, we have to have somewhere else, sane, safe, and hygienic for people to go to..........

Yeah, I'm a frequent user of many city parks due to having a toddler, and encampments are obviously a disincentive to use specific parks, but if the city won't provide anywhere safe for people to go while we have a housing crisis, where are people supposed to live?

People making minimum wage or doing casual labour can't afford most apartments, and the city refuses to regularize cheaper options like rooming houses, so what are people supposed to do?

Back