News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

looks like the building was built strong but it appears to have no basement levels or proper foundation. it looks they the drove some piles into the ground and built the building on them.

what a waste of materials.

Looks like a house built on sand. Yeah, it definitely needed a little more depth to the foundation if there was any at all. How could the builder not have considered this?

Hilarious, but very interesting to see what a building looks like underneath. I sometimes wonder what would happen to our tall buildings in the event of an earthquake, or some sort of disaster, including centuries of neglect.

504x_timber2.jpg

504x_timber1.jpg

i wonder how many other buildings are built this way? disasters waiting to happen.

Glass can take an incredible amount of direct force, provided it isn't applied to the edge. From experience I've hurled 5x8 sheets of glass into garbage bins and watched them bounce unscathed.

Another example of Made in China quality.

Yikes. I'd be really weary of moving into any of the several identical buildings nearby; I can't really imagine that they were built any differently. Of course, this could be the architectural gods' way of saying no to that horrible peach precast/stucco and crappy faux-detailing.

Same thing for University Plaza anyone?

On a serious note however, it's really disconcerting that anyone would build a structure in a manner like that. It's sitting on a mound of dirt, and one can't help but wonder how many other buildings are ticking time bombs like this one. It'd be devastating to see this happen to an occupied building

Last edited:
Shanghai Building tipping over...

Everyone: It is obvious that this building should have had substantial deep underpinning if it was built on fill or more rigid pillars holding it in place on a solid rock foundation.

It amazed me that it tipped over and remained surprisingly intact-perhaps the building was stronger then its foundation.

LI MIKE

Entire 13 storey building tips over

timber2.jpg

timber1.jpg

20090627_16.jpg

20090627_18.jpg

This past Saturday, an entire apartment building in Shanghai collapsed. To be fair, the building was under construction and thus unoccupied, but it's still a minor miracle that there was only one fatality.

Sounds like there was a problem with some nearby flood prevention walls at the Dianpu River, but there's no hard evidence as to why this huge building simply fell over. Anyway, here are some sweet pictures of the architectural carnage.

Source

Last edited:

Back