News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I’m not sure how serious it is yet (I know, Stan Cho definitely has pull: witness the missing MZO for 175 Cummer) given that there’s no real money earmarked to this.

If it goes ahead I also wouldn’t be surprised if they only do an eastward extension and forgo the connection to the western part of the loop. Would really be nice - but I’m not holding my breath.

I think it's great to start planning this now, and then when funding rolls in 4-5 years, we can just build it.

All transit lines and extensions gotta start somewhere, and it seems there hasn't been much push for subway extensions for Sheppard but now that there is, and we're actually planning feasibility cases, it should mean that we're slowly getting closer to a proper subway line on Sheppard and actually making it useful for riders.

But I highly doubt that both extensions will be built in the next 20 years. At least one direction by 2040. This is going to be insanely expensive to build.

EDIT: Turns out, The Sheppard East Extension is about the same distance as the Yonge North Subway and slightly shorter than the SSE. Sheppard West is a surprisingly short gap to fill, with a tunnel already done to about Senlac. It'll be expensive, but not outrageously out there. It's probably just going to take some time.

Last edited:
Although I wouldn't select Sheppard as the top priority right now; but if there exists a team willing to push Sheppard forward, let it be. The northern crosstown route will be needed eventually.

I think it's great to start planning this now, and then when funding rolls in 4-5 years, we can just build it.

All transit lines and extensions gotta start somewhere, and it seems there hasn't been much push for subway extensions for Sheppard but now that there is, and we're actually planning feasibility cases, it should mean that we're slowly getting closer to a proper subway line on Sheppard and actually making it useful for riders.

But I highly doubt that both extensions will be built in the next 20 years. At least one direction by 2040. This is going to be insanely expensive to build.

EDIT: Turns out, The Sheppard East Extension is about the same distance as the Yonge North Subway and slightly shorter than the SSE. Sheppard West is a surprisingly short gap to fill, with a tunnel already done to about Senlac. It'll be expensive, but not outrageously out there. It's probably just going to take some time.
Totally agree and it's time to turn the page, we need to move towards future transit like Steeles, Eglinton East, and other go lines and stop arguing about stuff from 50 years ago.

as much as it is amazing to see a western extension being talked about like this, the eastern extension should be the main priority. That alone will turn both North York and Scarborough into way more transit opportunities to explore.

They should do it all at once, get it over with then think about a future extension under the new district planned at Downsview park with potentially going south west hitting Wilson and Lawrence West for the next generation
I could be wrong, but my recollection about transit planning for Downsview is bus routes on narrow streets with a mix of left and right turns every two or three blocks. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Were there ever any proposals on how a westward extension would look?

There's not much runway between Senlac and Earl Bales if they want to have a Senlac station and tunnel under. A parallel bridge will be tricky because of the apartment buildings on the west.

The solution I see is that they demo the bridge and make it a double-deck viaduct -- easy enough to raise the road to make room for a train, and stays within the road allowance. Tough sell, though.

They should do it all at once, get it over with then think about a future extension under the new district planned at Downsview park with potentially going south west hitting Wilson and Lawrence West for the next generation
Don’t forget Pickering. They have a huge development at Pickering town centre. Place is booming.

Would make sense, and once you got that far you could extend it to Weston along Lawrence West. Becomes a good transfer point for anyone coming off the Kitchener Line as well as anyone from North York/Scarborough wanting to go to the airport with the UP.

Would make sense, and once you got that far you could extend it to Weston along Lawrence West. Becomes a good transfer point for anyone coming off the Kitchener Line as well as anyone from North York/Scarborough wanting to go to the airport with the UP.
Makes some sense, but why go to/end at Weston? I get it if you don’t want to send the line further, but you might as well actually go to Pearson at that point-even if via the rail corridor. And now your competing with Line 5 that close to Eglinton.

I always thought going via Wilson makes more sense as it’s equidistant from Lines 5 and 6 (two concessions- 4km). You can use Line 1 from Sheppard W to Downsview to get onto Wilson, or perhaps Jane (since realistically, Jane RT will be built before Line 4 goes west of Sheppard W). I don’t think using Sheppard makes sense in any case unless our LRT experiment completely bombs.

To satiate the appetite, I’ll say Lawrence could just use it’s own LRT from Weston to Yonge someday. That assessment is pending on the effects of Line 5 though.

Don’t forget Pickering. They have a huge development at Pickering town centre. Place is booming.
Pickering has a GO station. Maybe in the fullness of time Line 4 will be extended that far, but not for a quite a few decades.

They are probably not going to change the technology, keeping wide-bodied TTC subway trains.

That makes any extension with a fancy diagonal alignment unlikely. Probably will just stop at Allen Rd / Sheppard West, or maybe will go straight west a bit further, to Keele or Jane.

Back