News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Even if the province pays, you know there's still only one taxpayer.
And the province spending money on one silly transit project means better ones don't get funded, at all or as soon. Not commenting on the merits of the Sheppard extension per se. Line 5 definitely is an example.

Metrolinx starting studies on Sheppard rapid transit between Sheppard West Station, Sheppard/McCowan, and Meadowvale Road. Webpage here.

Update: webpage removed!

Attachments

• 1698090140224.jpeg
    1698090140224.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The webpage was removed but you didn't need to remove your picture!

I saw both Shepherd West to the University line and East to McCowan. And a dotted line going further east than that.

we knew they were "starting studies". I think that was like almost a year ago?

someone pushed to prod too early lol
5 months is the same thing right? 😄

Stan Cho made the announcement on May 30th this year. It's interesting that they're also studying east all the way to Meadowvale Road. Though that was a dotted line. I wasn't able to look closely at the picture posted here.

I briefly had a look at the other tabs when it was up, they had public consultations outlined for early November. One of the FAQs was regarding rapid transit technology, which they said was TBD with Heavy Rail, Light Metro, LRT listed as options.

NOTE: This page was removed from the website and therefore should not be considered accurate.​

Overview​

Metrolinx is currently studying options and seeking community input to extend rapid transit along Sheppard Avenue both east and west.

The Sheppard Rapid Transit Extension would improve transit connections in Toronto’s north end and make it easier and faster for people to get around Toronto and the GTA.

Map of study area​

1698095840795.png

Connecting the network​

A rapid transit extension on either side of TTC’s Line 4 subway could create new links to Line 1 and Line 2, connect with up to three GO Transit train lines, and improve east-west travel in the region.

The Sheppard Rapid Transit Extension also has the potential to support economic development and new jobs in the region.

Upcoming events​

During the first round of consultations, Metrolinx will focus on seeking input on how more rapid transit along Sheppard Avenue could benefit the community. The feedback we collect will help shape our understanding of problems and opportunities and will guide the development of concepts for potential rapid transit improvements. We will present these concepts to the community during a second round of consultations, which will examine extending Line 4 east and west as well as potential routes, elevations (e.g., underground, elevated, surface), station locations, and technologies (e.g., heavy rail, light metro, LRT). For community members who are unable to join in-person consultations, there will be opportunities to give feedback virtually.

Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto

5183 Sheppard Ave E, Scarborough, ON M1B 5Z5

Tuesday, November 7, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Toronto Public Library, Agincourt Branch

55 Bonis Ave, Toronto, ON M1T 3W6

Thursday, November 8, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Toronto Public Library, North York Central Branch

5120 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5N9

Thursday, November 16, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

FAQs​

What is the purpose of these consultations?​

• We want to hear about how people travel along the Sheppard Avenue corridor today – and how they might benefit from new rapid transit options in the future – so we can ensure any future project maximizes benefits for the community and riders.
  • The feedback we receive will inform the development of transit improvement options that will be presented to the community for further consultations.
  • Ultimately, these consultations will support the development of an Initial Business Case for the project

Will the extension be a subway or another mode of transit?​

• At this early phase of project planning, no decisions have been made in terms of transit modes.
  • Feedback from community members will be considered alongside all available data to determine the benefits of various types of transit for the community.

When will the Sheppard Rapid Transit Extension be built?​

• These consultations are just the first step in the process of developing an IBC for new transit along Sheppard Avenue, and timelines for funding, procurement and construction have not been established.

Last edited:

NOTE: This page was removed from the website and therefore should not be considered accurate.​

Overview​

Metrolinx is currently studying options and seeking community input to extend rapid transit along Sheppard Avenue both east and west.

The Sheppard Rapid Transit Extension would improve transit connections in Toronto’s north end and make it easier and faster for people to get around Toronto and the GTA.

Map of study area​

View attachment 515105

Connecting the network​

A rapid transit extension on either side of TTC’s Line 4 subway could create new links to Line 1 and Line 2, connect with up to three GO Transit train lines, and improve east-west travel in the region.

The Sheppard Rapid Transit Extension also has the potential to support economic development and new jobs in the region.

Upcoming events​

During the first round of consultations, Metrolinx will focus on seeking input on how more rapid transit along Sheppard Avenue could benefit the community. The feedback we collect will help shape our understanding of problems and opportunities and will guide the development of concepts for potential rapid transit improvements. We will present these concepts to the community during a second round of consultations, which will examine extending Line 4 east and west as well as potential routes, elevations (e.g., underground, elevated, surface), station locations, and technologies (e.g., heavy rail, light metro, LRT). For community members who are unable to join in-person consultations, there will be opportunities to give feedback virtually.

Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto

5183 Sheppard Ave E, Scarborough, ON M1B 5Z5

Tuesday, November 7, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Toronto Public Library, Agincourt Branch

55 Bonis Ave, Toronto, ON M1T 3W6

Thursday, November 8, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Toronto Public Library, North York Central Branch

5120 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5N9

Thursday, November 16, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

FAQs​

What is the purpose of these consultations?​

• We want to hear about how people travel along the Sheppard Avenue corridor today – and how they might benefit from new rapid transit options in the future – so we can ensure any future project maximizes benefits for the community and riders.
  • The feedback we receive will inform the development of transit improvement options that will be presented to the community for further consultations.
  • Ultimately, these consultations will support the development of an Initial Business Case for the project

Will the extension be a subway or another mode of transit?​

• At this early phase of project planning, no decisions have been made in terms of transit modes.
  • Feedback from community members will be considered alongside all available data to determine the benefits of various types of transit for the community.

When will the Sheppard Rapid Transit Extension be built?​

• These consultations are just the first step in the process of developing an IBC for new transit along Sheppard Avenue, and timelines for funding, procurement and construction have not been established.
Great to see Downsview TTC/GO included in the study area. That would be an excellent multimodal terminus!

Great to see Downsview TTC/GO included in the study area. That would be an excellent multimodal terminus!
Agreed. I would prefer that it goes to Downsview to the extent that I see a stop at Sheppard West to be something that if the line was struck be "the cheapening" it would be the stop I don't care about.

Agreed. I would prefer that it goes to Downsview to the extent that I see a stop at Sheppard West to be something that if the line was struck be "the cheapening" it would be the stop I don't care about.
Agree. If it went to Downsview there probably isn’t a need for a Sheppard West stop. We absolutely need a way for trains to connect to Wilson Subway Yard however.

5 months is the same thing right? 😄

Stan Cho made the announcement on May 30th this year. It's interesting that they're also studying east all the way to Meadowvale Road. Though that was a dotted line. I wasn't able to look closely at the picture posted here.

Stan Cho.......... was late to the party.

@generalcanada is right on this one, UT knew a while before that.

I wonder who could have said something.............

Then again;

I wonder if there is an opportunity to interline using Line 1 to get Downsview, seeing at that end of Line 1 is rather underutilized.

I hope Metrolinx uses this opportunity to redeem itself. A subway line along Sheppard really should try to use elevated or at least cut-and-cover to the extent possible. Given the small number of existing stations, it would also be nice if they considered platform screen doors, automated train control, and shorter trains (keeping 4 cars?)--the first two allowing them to be made frequent and still provide sufficient capacity. PSDs will allow for higher speed, more reliable operation.

I would rather prefer the extension went via STC setting up for eventual extension along Ellesmere (replacing the BRT). If they extension beyond McCowan is going to be LRT anyway, I see no reason why Line 4 needs to go to McCowan. Might as well have that LRT continue to Agincourt, and allow Line 4 to go to STC. The only NS bus routes that won't be intercepted north of the 401 are along Markham and Morningside.

Also congrats to @SaugeenJunction for causing all sorts of fun! ;)
I'm sure there was some havoc at Metrolinx today. However, given how soon the consultations supposedly are, it's odd that this is still under wraps. Waiting for a political statement? Or perhaps those dates aren't real?

Back