News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

]My problem is that:
A. He uses the term "relief line"
B. I strongly have the feeling it's about giving his constituents a trophy subway rather than sound planning or network connectivity

I have the unfortunate privilege of being one of his constituents.

I think city council asked Metrolinx to view Sheppard West as a priority or something to that effect. Actual support from council is probably small but that motion was passed.

To my mind, a subway extension westward from the Yonge tailtracks is a thing that could work IF:

• It allowed Sheppard line trains to be serviced from Wilson rather than a significant deadhead to/from Greenwood
  • The City was able to conclude an arrangement which allowed Downsview Airport to be closed and significantly redeveloped, with the Sheppard line tailtracks continuing west by cheaper cut and cover under the airport lands with an option to continue to Keele or Jane at some point.

The reality is that this area is massively in need of transit and the Finch LRT and a Sheppard extension are not necessarily exclusive. But this is just a councillor who squeaked in last time and is clinging to his gig, not a visionary.

To my mind, a subway extension westward from the Yonge tailtracks is a thing that could work IF:

• It allowed Sheppard line trains to be serviced from Wilson rather than a significant deadhead to/from Greenwood
  • The City was able to conclude an arrangement which allowed Downsview Airport to be closed and significantly redeveloped, with the Sheppard line tailtracks continuing west by cheaper cut and cover under the airport lands with an option to continue to Keele or Jane at some point.

The reality is that this area is massively in need of transit and the Finch LRT and a Sheppard extension are not necessarily exclusive. But this is just a councillor who squeaked in last time and is clinging to his gig, not a visionary.

I've maintained for a while now that the Downsview Airport site would be the perfect location for an Olympic Park and/or NFL stadium, combined with other redevelopment efforts. Intersection of 2 major highways (if you count the Allen as a highway, which is mostly is), and the potential intersection of 2 subway lines, AND a GO station at the north end of the site. In terms of transit and road connectivity, it doesn't get much better than that. Oh, and it would have a killer view of downtown.

Of course, removing Downsview would also lift a whole host of height restrictions in the surrounding area, allowing development around the Spadina line and future Sheppard West line to densify.

I've maintained for a while now that the Downsview Airport site would be the perfect location for an Olympic Park and/or NFL stadium, combined with other redevelopment efforts. Intersection of 2 major highways (if you count the Allen as a highway, which is mostly is), and the potential intersection of 2 subway lines, AND a GO station at the north end of the site. In terms of transit and road connectivity, it doesn't get much better than that. Oh, and it would have a killer view of downtown.

Of course, removing Downsview would also lift a whole host of height restrictions in the surrounding area, allowing development around the Spadina line and future Sheppard West line to densify.

It's been interesting watching it change. Lots of buildings for sports facilities have gone up, but I also noticed a restaurant with a patio there.

I wonder if you could put in "filling in the Allen" in that Downsview mega-development project.

If we filled in Allen Road, (In say a boulevard) we'd have massive redevelopment potential along a subway line.

I wonder if you could put in "filling in the Allen" in that Downsview mega-development project.

If we filled in Allen Road, (In say a boulevard) we'd have massive redevelopment potential along a subway line.

There isn't really a lack of developable space there though, in fact quite the opposite. No need to destroy a well used road..

How would one go about removing Downsview?

Could we not give bombardier an incentive to move its airplane development to thunder bay area and the lrt subway streetcar development from thunder bay to downsview. Keeps the good paying jobs but removes the amount of land needed and the height restriction.

Well the GTHA needs another GA Airport, so what I would like to see is that new airport operate as both GA and the site for Bombardier. Perhaps the Pickering site could be an option.

The land is owned by a Crown Corporation, as is co-managed with Bombardier. Now admittedly I don't know the details of the co-management agreement, but I would think that if the Feds want Bombardier out, they could get Bombardier out, especially if there was another site for them to move to.

The appropriate buildings could then be demolished, and the subway could be cut and covered through open terrain through the site. I'd end the Sheppard Subway at Keele for the time being. The site would then be re-developed either as a sports park (i.e. for the Olympics) or as a combination of NFL stadium and new residential/office development.

Eb Zeidler made a proposal to deck over the Allen. But by the time you get to Yorkdale what's to fill in? Don't know how it helps a project the far side of 401.

Back