News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's hard not to think this is a scare tactic considering this time last year, the TTC decided to pay $100 million more for Canadian made subway cars, decided against cost cuts like automated trains. Other scare tactics- shutting down streets or maybe the Gardiner. Yes, that'll save plenty on maintenance and rebuilding costs.

Shutting down the Gardiner is the best counter-tactic to cancelling 21 bus routes and the Sheppard line I've heard. That'd get Two-Dollar-Ford on a rant to remember.

This is pretty much another scare tatic before an election but meh, whatcha going to do? If the Tories play their cards right they could probably win some seats in Scarberia and Etobi but still, the election is a far time away. I love how Giambrone has been shoting his ward in the foot in the name of the TTC (the trees) and now cutting the TTC in it in the name of the city

If they were going to start cutting anything, wouldn't it be better to start closing subway stations that were underforming instead, so that they could cut the unneeded collectors/cleaners, and it would speed up the ride overall for most people. Stations that come to mind for sure include Old Mill, and Bessarion. while some other low riders like Glencairn could be cut too. It's not productive but it makes a hell of a lot more sense then closing an entire line.

I think the TTC could cut some fat in its own management line. The new 'escalator safety' signs on the subway are a complete and utter waste of time and money in my opinion. I think they should pretty much cut their entire legal/safety department because it's just a money hole that gives us nothing in return.

Obviously this is all smoke and mirrors, but I can't believe that in this age of budget surpluses the city is still being expected to make cuts. I don't buy for a second that Toronto is any less efficient than any other municipality in Ontario. People blame unions and government employees, but every other municipality has the same unions and most of them aren't in a state of perpetual crisis. Ideas like suspending library loans and canceling flower planting are never seriously considered everywhere else. That's not to say the TTC couldn't make improvements, lots of them in fact. But for god's sake it's the most efficient transit system on the continent. How much more can we expect of them?

I don't think this is going to change. There's a serious anti-urban attitude in this country. I live an hour from Toronto and I routinely hear people put down the city and mention accepted "truisms" that aren't even close to accurate. As long as this type of attitude is common, funding will always be biased against Toronto, problems will be blamed on Toronto, and the city will have budget crisis after budget crisis while rural people smugly think it's all the city's fault.

Yeah I'm a rare small town resident who stands up for Toronto. It's an uphill battle.

I'd like to see the Mayor take a full page in the Toronto Star and itemize exactly what he would cut. Then actually do it. No fuss. No whining. Just simply say that the city lacks the money. As the garbage piles up, as the buses become ever more crowded, just maybe the city will get the sustained funding it needs.

I'd like to see the Mayor take a full page in the Toronto Star and itemize exactly what he would cut. Then actually do it. No fuss. No whining. Just simply say that the city lacks the money. As the garbage piles up, as the buses become ever more crowded, just maybe the city will get the sustained funding it needs.

Maybe it'll be like New York in the 1980s :eek:

Ideas like suspending library loans and canceling flower planting are never seriously considered everywhere else. Yeah I'm a rare small town resident who stands up for Toronto. It's an uphill battle.

Of course, small towns don't have massive transit systems that they depend on. Given a choice between updating the 80s decor of my local library, planting a few shrubs in my local park, or keeping my local bus route, it's a no-brainer - I'll keep the bus route. Obviously, this type of either/or choice is unrealistic, but the point is that there's a ton of cuts that could and should be made before the TTC, *if* there is a real need to cut.

Yeah I'm a rare small town resident who stands up for Toronto. It's an uphill battle.

Same here (though not for long). We should organise a conference for rural and small-town city defenders! Trade techniques and anecdotes. That guy from SSP from Chatham with the pathological hatred of Toronto could be the keynote speaker.

i honestly wouldn't mind the sheppard subway mothballed if it is going to make headlines across the nation. if anything, it'd be nice to finally give the reality to the rest of canada that toronto is not the cash and resource eating monster that ottawa solely favors (which is what most of canada thinks.. yrs of living in BC tell me). if trading away a sheppard stub gets toronto a better rep and less hatred, and make ppl know we need money instead of paying out billions each year, then i'm sooo game.

You've got your wish. From the National section of the Globe and Mail.
----------------------

Toronto threatens to shut Sheppard subway
JENNIFER LEWINGTON AND JEFF GRAY

From Friday's Globe and Mail
July 20, 2007 at 12:59 AM EDT

TORONTO — A shutdown of the Sheppard subway, a 25-cent fare increase for transit riders and reduced hours for libraries and community centres lead a list of cuts threatened yesterday for Toronto residents.

The potential cuts, which could kick in within weeks, are fallout from the defeat, for now, of Mayor David Miller's proposal for $350-million in new taxes.

The mayor denied the threat of reduced services amounts to a scare tactic. "We don't have the room to manoeuvre any more," he said.

Yesterday's political theatre seems designed to send a message to balky city councillors about what's at stake on Oct. 22, when Mr. Miller's two new taxes come back for a definitive vote, and to all three provincial parties who will be mining voter support in Toronto in the Oct. 10 election.

Critics on council denounced Mr. Miller's explanation.

"The responsible approach is not to make daily announcements of service-level Armageddon," said Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Ward 34 Don Valley East), who had led the charge to put off a decision on the tax proposals until fall. "Rather there needs to be a responsible, organized and intelligent approach to examining the cutbacks that are a priority in this difficult time."

Others, including Councillors Case Ootes (Ward 29 Toronto-Danforth) and Brian Ashton (Ward 36 Scarborough Southwest), who both voted against Mr. Miller, called for an emergency council meeting to discuss the pending cuts.

The Toronto Transit Commission will hold an emergency meeting today to consider a request from the city to slash $30-million from its $1.1-billion budget this year.

On the table are a possible fare increase, the closing of the Sheppard subway next January, as well as the cancellation of 21 bus routes and a promised new service to ease commuter overcrowding.

"This is extremely traumatic," said TTC chairman Adam Giambrone, who compared the coming slash in spending with deep cuts at the transit agency in the 1990s. "… As chair of the TTC, this is one of the darkest days we've seen in transit in over a decade."

Mr. Giambrone, a close ally of the mayor, acknowledged that the scale of the potential cuts surprised him as well as senior TTC officials: "The number … came as a shock, quite frankly," he said.

Meanwhile, other agencies and departments are under the gun to come up with their own significant savings, such as a ban on non-essential travel and a deeper hiring freeze (except for staff required under provincial legislation).

City manager Shirley Hoy is to meet today with heads of divisions to lay out the rules for making across-the-board cuts worth about $100-million by year end. City officials have authority to order a range of belt-tightening measures, she said, but only council can eliminate entire programs.

The $100-million in savings would be used to whittle down a budget shortfall of $575-million in 2008. Mr. Miller had assumed his new revenue measures, a new tax of up to 2 per cent on the purchase of a home and a $60 fee to register ownership of a motor vehicle, would generate about $350-million annually for the city.

Meanwhile, the Toronto Police Services Board has ordered a meeting next week to respond to the city's request to pare at least $10-million from its $785-million budget for 2007. City officials want all emergency services, police, fire and ambulance, to come up with "significant savings" worth a total of $30-million this year, board chairman Alok Mukherjee said.

"I know that we will have to make a very serious effort," he said. But he emphasized that the board is "absolutely committed" to maintaining the council-approved complement of 5,510 officers on the street.

Salaries and benefits account for 93 per cent of costs, leaving a fraction of the overall police budget from which to find immediate savings.

The sudden turn for the TTC, with an unprecedented increase in users and the promise of capital investment in light-rail services over the next decade, should not surprise anyone after council's vote this week, the mayor said.

"I was very clear," he told reporters, when asked to explain the TTC news. "I've been very clear for months.

"The city's financial position is unsustainable," he said. "Did we say this particular thing to the people of Toronto? No you're quite right, I didn't. But in very general terms, I laid out exactly the consequences."

One of the biggest pressures on city finances is the TTC, which accounts for 15 per cent of the city's $7.8-billion operating budget. Shutting the Sheppard subway, used by 40,000 people a day, would save $10-million in 2008, Mr. Giambrone said.

Shutting down the line would take until January, because its 140 unionized employees must be redeployed to replace other staff as they retire, Mr. Giambone said, adding that staff reductions would likely occur through attrition.

Bus service would replace the subway.

In effect, the TTC will be expected to manage in 2007 with the same level of subsidy, $272-million, that it received from the city this year, despite spiralling costs from more riders, rising fuel costs and automatic wage increases for unionized staff.

Of course, the risk with shutting down a subway line and replacing it with buses makes the subway look unessential. Some people will then inevitably ask why the expensive subways should be running when they could be replaced by cheaper buses. Arguments as to the essential and important utility of the subway will then have to be repeated.

Such a strategy has a risk of backfiring.

what effect does this have on transit city?

Of course, small towns don't have massive transit systems that they depend on. Given a choice between updating the 80s decor of my local library, planting a few shrubs in my local park, or keeping my local bus route, it's a no-brainer - I'll keep the bus route. Obviously, this type of either/or choice is unrealistic, but the point is that there's a ton of cuts that could and should be made before the TTC, *if* there is a real need to cut.
Well, as far as "updating decor" superfluity goes, one scheme for saving municipal money is to put off the Nathan Philips Square renos...

It's hard not to think this is a scare tactic considering this time last year, the TTC decided to pay $100 million more for Canadian made subway cars, decided against cost cuts like automated trains. Other scare tactics- shutting down streets or maybe the Gardiner. Yes, that'll save plenty on maintenance and rebuilding costs.

The so call Canadian train is "NOT" being built in Canada, but in the US with parts coming from around the world.

The finally assembly will take place in Thunderbay and will represent less than 20% of the total contract.

Geee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a surprise. So much for buy Canada.

Fear Its fear and look for the fare hike in September.

TTC has 15% waste within itself that it needs to deal with before asking riders to pay more or cut service.

Of course, the risk with shutting down a subway line and replacing it with buses makes the subway look unessential. Some people will then inevitably ask why the expensive subways should be running when they could be replaced by cheaper buses. Arguments as to the essential and important utility of the subway will then have to be repeated.

Such a strategy has a risk of backfiring.

I doubt this will be the case. The Sheppard subway offers a service level that few surface transit lines could achieve. If they were to duplicate this service with buses they would have to run them at higher than Dufferin or Finch east frequencies and the route would be agonizingly slow.

I hate how Miller and Giambrone have hijacked our city with these empty threats. If they want to make headlines and goad the provincial and federal governments into paying up, the only thing they are doing a very good job at is making enemies - both higher governments and city voters - out of their arrogance. The GTA just got a $17.5 billion transit expansion promise a month and a half ago. If they really want the money, all they have to do is ask.

Back