News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

New windows ready to be installed.

sheratonn16.jpg

^ Looks nice. This building isn't a bad one, just has a poorly executed base and (currently) terrible windows. Hopefully these ones look more streamlined and tinted.

They look frighteningly green to me.

They look frighteningly green to me.

I'm not sure what the aversion to green glass is. Might some variety be nice? Sure. But I can imagine someone circa the turn of the 20th century going OMG more red brick? Can builders use anything other than red brick? Green glass is the building material of the the late 20th/early 21st century. It is what it is.

I'd have no problem with green glass if only some of the new buildings used it. When basically all of them are using it it becomes rather boring.

Green glass on aged concrete buildings could be terrifyingly bad - see Hudson Bay Centre. Absolutely worst - though things don't look like they will be this dire in this case.

AoD

I'm not sure what the aversion to green glass is. Might some variety be nice? Sure. But I can imagine someone circa the turn of the 20th century going OMG more red brick? Can builders use anything other than red brick? Green glass is the building material of the the late 20th/early 21st century. It is what it is.

Take a look across the street to City Hall, that's the quality of glass needed here.

So, out of curiosity, how would the Sheraton Centre look if the concrete exterior was painted black (with the glass windows it's getting)? Would it look sleek and cool or would it look really bad and it's better that it keeps its current exterior?

So, out of curiosity, how would the Sheraton Centre look if the concrete exterior was painted black (with the glass windows it's getting)? Would it look sleek and cool or would it look really bad and it's better that it keeps its current exterior?

It'd look awful. A giant grey bunker.

Painting it would be bad - recladding it with something like the panelling at River City would look amazing (especially if they use black glass) - it would look like a perfect Monolith.

AoD

Please leave my favourite brutalist buildings alone :p. Window replacement = good. Exterior painting or recladding = heart attack.

Not everything has to be 'prettied-up' to be beautiful. Go see Edinburgh, Scotland to see how gorgeous the city is with all the black soot on the buildings from their coal-burning fireplace past.

Back