News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Which is a shame as it's an otherwise great separated bike path from Bloor to Queens Quay for going to the Island ferry. But if you take it you have to run the gauntlet of human jetsam from above Dundas until you reach below Adelaide.

What happened to this optimistic view from 2011?

That nice cycle track is also something I avoid when biking. I've used it a couple of times and felt very on edge the whole time, almost expecting some nutcase to either mindlessly stumble on to the path as I approach, or worse, purposely try to knock me off my e-bike to steal it...

Maybe that's me being overly paranoid, but I think it's a justified concern in certain areas.

I actively try to avoid that intersection while driving because there's always a high chance of some BS occurring. I'd rather go several blocks out of my way. Why there aren't regular cop patrols (on foot) in known problem areas is beyond me. We pay them lots of money for a reason.

Shuter and Gerrard just don't have the problems that Dundas has east of Jarvis. Sometimes Dundas and Jarvis can be dicey, and so can Queen and Jarvis. But nothing like Sherbourne and Dundas. It's dangerous for all involved.

Shuter and Gerrard just don't have the problems that Dundas has east of Jarvis. Sometimes Dundas and Jarvis can be dicey, and so can Queen and Jarvis. But nothing like Sherbourne and Dundas. It's dangerous for all involved.
Dundas and Jarvis has calmed down with all the new condo residents there.

I've walked this area many times over the years; I get bored walking the same routes, so I vary my excursions with or without camera in hand.

Mostly, I haven't found this area dangerous, I recognize bad things happen in this area; but I think, mostly, if your mindful of your surroundings, at least as a young to middled-aged guy, it doesn't really inspire fear.

I will note the one exception, there is a certain 'apartment' building located on the north side of Dundas just west of the Sherbourne intersection.

I was walking the area,, this had to be 20 years ago now, when someone threw something large (can't remember what now) out of their window and it landed on the sidewalk, it was the sorta thing that would done serious damage to someone, had it hit them. I was always a bit more mindful walking next to that property thereafter.

The intersection itself, is somewhat uniquely challenged with one of the less successful public housing developments in the City on one corner and a major facility for the homeless on the other.

I suspect gentrification will reach here too, in time; the redevelopment of the vacant homes to the south, and of the TCHC site will likely be enough to spur that. Then the plaza will need to be tackled.

The homeless facility will likely need to remain in some form, but I suspect it may be downsized in conjunction with new affordable housing being brought online elsewhere, and modified to encourage the homeless to be indoors, when accessing the site, rather than outside.

Last edited:
Dundas and Jarvis has calmed down with all the new condo residents there.
The dilution of the crazies is one reason I applaud the ever growing forest of condos in downtown east. The more middle class, sane and sober people and families that move into the area the better. I’m not looking for displacement of our rough-living neighbours, just dilution of their impact.

Last edited:

Back