IMG_nov-01-09-0119.jpg

View of the north
IMG_nov-01-09-0125.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0126.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0129.jpg

posted by airstream over at SSC....

SheridanMCC-Phase1.jpg

WEAKSAUCE!

Can't say that loud enough. That is a lame, limp, standard block and if Mississauga wants to refashion itself as a real city, it must demand more. Truly disappointing.

I see nothing wrong with the site plan. Clearly the above-ground parking is temporary as the site is going to be phased. I don't know why people always resort to complaining immediately.

I always resort to complaining, eh? I'm just calling it as I see it. This is hardly the only development in MCC with above ground parking, nor will it be the last.

I always resort to complaining, eh? I'm just calling it as I see it. This is hardly the only development in MCC with above ground parking, nor will it be the last.

I have no problem with temporary surface parking in MCC. As this Sherdian campus expands, it'll disappear. I don't foresee Sheridan's Mississauga campus being a failure. So I don't see a reason to worry. If anything, I think they don't have enough space and will be regretting no building taller or buying more land from the get-go. I think it'll be successful just due to the lack of post-secondary institutions in Mississauga. We currently have UTM. And that's it. Sheridan will only be the second. It'll be in MCC though, which will make it extremely accessible by transit so I think it'll attract a lot of students who don't want to commute to Toronto.

Rendering from the Mississauga News:

b79e56d34a179966a0a67a8e8486.jpeg

Officials broke ground today on a new Sheridan College campus in the city centre where some 1,700 students will attend classes when the school opens in the fall of 2011.
Actual construction on the 150,000-sq.-ft. facility will begin in February. The $46-million facility will accommodate 1,200 business students and 560 spaces for new Canadians being retrained to enter the workforce.
When phase two of the campus is built after 2011, bringing the potential student enrollment to 5,000.
The campus will be located on an 8.5-acre parcel of land, just north of the Living Arts Centre, between Prince of Wales Dr. and Rathburn Rd. W. and will include such features as a pedestrian bridge, open parkland and a traffic roundabout.
Phase two will include the construction of a 10-level municipal parking garage.
Mayor Hazel McCallion was on hand at today's groundbreaking along with hundreds of others who convened at the Civic Centre. She told the gathering she was thrilled to finally see her dream of a college in Mississauga come to fruition. She said it will add vibrancy to the city centre that has been missing.
"I had a vision out here of a mini convention centre with a hotel which didn't work out, but I can't think of a better exchange for that than Sheridan College," McCallion said with a laugh, referring to the controversial land deal that is now the subject of a judicial inquiry. "This has been a dream of mine. I recall well when I met with Rob (Dr. Turner, president of Sheridan College) and said, 'Will you please bring Sheridan back to Mississauga?' And he did."
Turner, who is retiring after eight years at Sheridan, said having a campus in Mississauga has long been his goal.
"This will be transformational for Mississauga ... like nothing else," he said. "It will be a bold catalyst in the city centre. Thousands of business students will be living, studying and injecting their enthusiasm in the city. It will be an amazing dynamic right here in downtown Mississauga."
Sheridan's Student Union co-presidents, Crystal Bennett from the Oakville campus and Sparkle Grant from the Brampton site, were on hand to share in the excitement. Both students are studying business and both live in Mississauga. They agree that having a campus in the city centre makes sense and they would have loved to go to college in the city where they grew up.
"It would have been great to have Sheridan here while we were studying. It would have cut down on our commute," Grant said. "It would have helped us to be more a part of the Mississauga community."
Funding for the campus comes from the Knowledge Infrastructure Program and Ontario's 2009 budget. The province and the federal government chipped in a total of $31 million. Sheridan, through fundraising projects and other sources, also supplied $15 million. The City will lease the land to Sheridan and will operate two municipal parking lots with at least 352 parking spaces.
The details of the construction contract haven't been finalized yet.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with the site plan. Clearly the above-ground parking is temporary as the site is going to be phased. I don't know why people always resort to complaining immediately.

Phase two will include the construction of a 10-level municipal parking garage.

Sounds like above ground to me. I thought Hazel said they had learned from their past mistakes?

Back