Sounds like above ground to me. I thought Hazel said they had learned from their past mistakes?

Do some research before jumping to conclusions. Phase two is to the North of phase 1. It will be another academic building, meaning the parking will most likely be below grade. The surface lot to the west of phase one will be removed to build phase 3.

It'll be interesting to see how the round-about turns out in this location. They've had a bunch out here in K-W. Except for the one near Doon, none really see all that much traffic so it will be interesting to see how things work out here.

Assuming another phase gets built just on the surface parking lot and not on the "proposed park block," well, that's not very promising. That park will probably be horrible. Instead, they could create a quad (closed or open-faced) by building buildings around the edge of the site...quads can be tricky to get right, requiring quality finishes and landscaping and relying on finicky proportions, but when gotten right they're a character goldmine. Campi get their heaviest use between September and April and the jagged "park" as proposed will likely get virtually no sunlight if the surface parking lot is replaced by anything over about 2 storeys. It doesn't seem big enough for any kind of playing field, either, though perhaps the adjacent/northern site will have a field, or perhaps there'll be a suitable public park nearby. I'm sure the campus will compensate by having acres of paving stones and concrete planters surrounding the buildings and ginormous atria inside them - sterile and with limiting seating, naturally.

But maybe the proposed "park" will snuggle up against the buildings as charmingly as Philosopher's Walk...yeah, right. They could turn it into a laneway, with benches and bricks or cobblestones and the sort of small trees that are perfect for stringing with Christmas lights, but I'm sure they won't. The campus seems modelled after a typical suburban office park complex and they're already calling it a "park," so it'll probably be a culvert- and drain-laden swale with a few mingy evergreen shrubs and a thousand bike racks, and fronted by blank walls and emergency exits. There will be a cafeteria patio, but it'll be a sea of concrete and situated in the darkest corner they can find. And it won't be cleared of snow in the winter, except for a few short paths that smokers make.

Last edited:
Tuscani:

I am fairly certain it won't be completely underground - I can't think of a single precedent of a 10s underground parking garage in Toronto (or anywhere I can think of off the top of my head). Assuming it matches the RoCP record of 7s underground, you are looking at 3s above at the minimum.

AoD

How tall was the old parking garage at the Eaton Centre (the one on Dundas that got replaced by the Ryerson building)? It had to have been at least 6 or 7 storeys

How tall was the old parking garage at the Eaton Centre (the one on Dundas that got replaced by the Ryerson building)? It had to have been at least 6 or 7 storeys

9 storeys

I can't think of a single precedent of a 10s underground parking garage in Toronto (or anywhere I can think of off the top of my head).

Yep, 8 storeys is the most in Toronto. (Shangri-la)

Last edited:
Tuscani:

I am fairly certain it won't be completely underground - I can't think of a single precedent of a 10s underground parking garage in Toronto (or anywhere I can think of off the top of my head). Assuming it matches the RoCP record of 7s underground, you are looking at 3s above at the minimum.

AoD

I can do with a few stories of parking above ground. I just don't see it being a full 10 storey garage above ground, and it definitely won't be just a parking garage.

Tuscani:

I can't see it any more than 3 or 4s underground - so you're probably looking at a 6 or 7s above ground parking structure - and that form is going to be quite difficult to integrate with other uses (unlike a 2s parking structure, which can be wrapped around by retail and have the podium level landscaped).

AoD

I think it looks pretty good. I also don't mind a 10 storey parking garage. I'd much rather that than a huge empty sea of parking like Square One has.
Parking garages are part of the urban fabric, and have been for a long time.

Even one storey above ground is too much. There should have been no need for any above ground parking in the first place considering how large the site is. Sorry, this development is garbage.

Tuscani:

I can't see it any more than 3 or 4s underground - so you're probably looking at a 6 or 7s above ground parking structure - and that form is going to be quite difficult to integrate with other uses (unlike a 2s parking structure, which can be wrapped around by retail and have the podium level landscaped).

AoD

What makes a 10s parking garage any harder to add retail at the base than a 2 or 3s parking garage (such as the one by the Bay which is build with future conversion to retail in mind).

Back