40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Good project overall, but I am concerned about the storefront buildings. It is very, very difficult to recreate a heritage streetscape effectively. If they get the details right, it could work, otherwise it might have been better to go with a more consistent design with a break in the streetwall at some point.

It's either going to turn out amazing, or horrible, all based upon how well the finishes are done. Lets hope amazing, though it sure beats what they have now.

Yikes!

From what I see in the staff reports, the Town of Markham is enthusiastic about this development, because it's "complementary to the heritage character" of the downtown core. I wouldn't count this as a compliment. Has nobody pointed out that the concept of mocking up a main-street block with false-front facades is... tacky beyond belief?

Where does one go to find an architect who specializes in theme park design? Will there be fake saloon, fake blacksmith's, and fake bawdy house too? Or will every fake front just be selling tourist fudge? At least dingy old the strip-mall plaza was a straightforward attempt at embracing the future, rather than a fake Ye Olde Timey Main Street that condescends to everyone.

It's 2010. Look at the design that won the St. Lawrence Market North competition: you don't complement (or compliment) a heritage district by playing dress-up and make-believe. The best way to complement the past is to offer the best of the present. And this ain't it.

Back