News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

SimcoeSouth-Aug1,06(3).jpg

SimcoeSouth-Aug1,06(9).jpg

The parking lot.
Infinity-Aug1,06(7).jpg

I wonder what gas is being vented from the ground by those two posts shown in the first of the three pictures above. Usually you only see those gas venting pipes coming out of the ground at landfills. It looks like they would get in the way of road and sidewalk construction.

Yeah but who knows what they used in that fill...

RE: Preliminary Report on 7 Station Street, from the Toronto East York Community Council.

UrbanDB has this "Menkes" building listed as 20 York Street however the preliminary report says the applicant is Urban Strategies.

The report also includes elevations of those intriguing fractal skins on the proposed building at 7 Station or 151 Front or 20 York.... whatever you want to call it.

I had completely forgotten about this proposal and design (check out the elevations in the PDF posted by AoD).

Isn't the rendering below actually an earlier take on Menkes/Telus at 25 York Street......?

menkes_25york.png

If there are vents, then I would guess that there's likely a sewer line underneath. You can see those vents all over the city, they're usually pained green and covered with posters.

The fill used would be clean fill, not garbage which would be illegal, dangerous, and very unstable. Same for all of the area south of Front/Esplanade, the portlands, the Leslie Street Spit, and the ski hill in Chingacousy Park in Bramalea (among others).

Makes me wonder if referring to dumps as landfills was a recent rebranding exercise to try and make it more acceptable to people.

I once got to see where all the former garbage dumps are located in Peel, most of which pre-date the creation of the Regional Municipality.

One such "landfill" that dates from the County of Peel days is along the diversion of a creek and near a hospital. Another is located next to a new school built in a well-established subdivision.

But yes, contrary to popular myth (I even believed it too at one point), the ski hill at Ching Park is clean fill, unlike the ski hill in Centennial Park.

I also suspect the change to "landfill" was to come up with an acceptable name. They are largely called "Sanitary Landfill Sites" these days.

UrbanDB has this "Menkes" building listed as 20 York Street however the preliminary report says the applicant is Urban Strategies.
You're correct on both counts. That seems to be a holdover from when I took live edits without an edit review process.

Yes, maybe now there will be a better escape route from the Skydome area after a game. Its pretty much impossible to get out of there easily.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been visible for a few weeks now. I notice it every day as I pass by there.

I wonder why this road was ever closed off.

Then why was there a concrete entrance way to the south? Why not just the same dirt hill leading up to the rail tracks like it is further east? Why was there a stub of a road leading up to a cemented entranceway, which appeared to just be stuffed shut with dirt?

Back