News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Biked through here on the weekend, it was good. There are no real connections to it though. Still, it is nice to know there is a safe place to cross the Gardiner.

I'm very happy with the lighting too, they did a good job here. It is simple, but everything is clear and doesn't look creepy at all (unlike the other underpasses)

Drove through last night just for the thrill (yikes, I'm just another UT geek now). I often drive home from work between midnight and 2am, and last night I was thinking what a great route this would be to avoid the frequent RIDE checks that are set up on York underneath the tracks. Not that I would have use for such a bypass, just sayin'....

I biked through it today. The lighting really is better than you'd expect, it's like daytime in there. This lighting need to be installed in all underpasses!

They forgot to remove the pylons and the "No Left Turn" sign from Bremner into the underpass. And it is very nice, went through today. They could easily make the middle lane switchable if there is ever a need too.

And guys love girls who love taxis. Especially guys with cell phone cameras to take getting-out-of-the-car upskirt pictures with

you and EnviroTO should have a picnic i think you'd make a great couple. you're both from another planet...

you and EnviroTO should have a picnic i think you'd make a great couple. you're both from another planet...

Agreed ^^^

Once MLS, Ice & Infinity 2 are completed and occupied this area going to need as many connections as possible.

Once MLS, Ice & Infinity 2 are completed and occupied this area going to need as many connections as possible.

This area already has a Convention Centre, SkyDome, ACC sold out almost every game, Union Station with twice the traffic of Pearson, and is located on the edge of the central business district and you think some condos are really going to push the roads past their tipping point?

I wonder how many buildings will it take to create a traffic jam in a tunnel which is a quick route from Infinity condos to East Side Marios. Cityplace between Spadina and Bathurst will have no roads crossing the tracks. How ever will they survive? Sure, it would be beneficial to have a road connection between Dan Leckie Way and Portland St but not extremely important.

Taking Simcoe which is a minor side street north of Front and connecting it to Lower Simcoe which is a minor side street south of Bremner does not create an incredibly important link. It completes the neighbourhood's street grid but Simcoe is and always will be a minor street with little traffic unless it is made two-way north of Front and it gets access to the Gardiner. The traffic on Spadina and York is mostly traffic trying to get onto the Gardiner.

For waterfront denizens, downtown is suddenly much closer
By Allison Hanes, National Post

Rushing home to his condo at Lower Simcoe Street and Bremner Boulevard yesterday to watch the kids while his wife went to an appointment, Gokhan Tulunay took an efficient and obvious route that would not have been possible a week earlier.

He dashed down Simcoe from Front Street, using a new 80-metre-long tunnel under the tracks, turning what would have been a 10-minute detour into a two-minute jaunt.

The underpass opened just last Friday, but Mr. Tulunay said he has used it every day since.

“It’s very, very beneficial for me,†he said. “It has cut in half the time to get to work. I was really happy when this opened.â€

The $44-million tunnel has created a new link between the core and the waterfront for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

It offers two lanes of vehicle traffic in each direction, plus bike lanes going both north and south.

Construction took two years and John Bryson, manager of structures and expressways for Toronto’s technical services division, said it was ready none too soon.

“We opened it at noon last Friday and I don’t think we were open 15 seconds when the first car went by,†he said. “Everybody was waiting I guess and now it’s just flowing like the river.â€

There are extra-wide sidewalks illuminated by what Mr. Bryson called “probably the best tunnel lighting in the city at this point.â€

The concrete is washed a warmer shade of grey and an early graffiti tag has already been painted over.

The councillor for the area, Adam Vaughan (Trinity Spadina), said the 80-metre excavation under the rail corridor was fraught delays due a “strange series of legal somersaults†required to get to the bottom of all the past and present owners of the land, once a Crown holding.

“It’s a good little piece of road construction, it’s just a shame it took so long,†Mr. Vaughan said.

But he said it’s a critical piece of infrastructure for residents of all the mushrooming condo towers, as well as those visiting downtown Toronto.

‘‘We’ve now created a pedestrian scale, normally routed access that’s obvious to the person walking or riding or driving. They now know how to get to the waterfront,†said Mr. Vaughan. “It’s a great north-south connection from the inner city to the waterfront, but it also takes a lot of pressure off all the other north-south streets, which make them better places for people to drive, decent places to walk, better places to cycle. The waterfront is often designed as an east-west project, but it’s all about north-south connections. Those are really an important addition to the downtown.â€

To further ease the flow of people to the waterfront, on the other side of busy Lake Shore Blvd. and the elevated Gardiner Expressway, the city has put in ultra-wide crosswalks and pedestrian signals at Lower Simcoe Street under the highway.

Matt Duffy, 25, tried the Simcoe underpass for the first time yesterday on his way home to the CityPlace complex from a job interview in the financial district. He said he will likely use it often because it is far more pleasant than alternative routes to get from the condo development at Spadina Avenue and Front.

“Spadina is such a horrendous road, because there’s no other way to get in the city from that side,†said Mr. Duffy. “I would usually go Blue Jays Way or York, but there’s so much in that area in between you really overshoot.â€

And there’s one other thing that impressed him: “It’s got a bike lane too, so that’s another big plus. It’s got a big bike lane. It’s really nice.â€

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...enizens-downtown-is-suddenly-much-closer.aspx

I think its quite useful to have a link across the rail viaduct which is not connected in any significant way to the Gardiner, and will therefore allow local traffic to flow without getting caught up in the Gardiner-related traffic.

This area already has a Convention Centre, SkyDome, ACC sold out almost every game, Union Station with twice the traffic of Pearson, and is located on the edge of the central business district and you think some condos are really going to push the roads past their tipping point?

Union Station has multiple connections to cross the tracks and in any case most of the traffic flow coming out of Union does not cross the corridor so it is not an appropriate comparison.
I've always found York St. to be highly congested during the peak periods. Simcoe St. will give me another alternative that I'll gladly take advantage of.

I think its quite useful to have a link across the rail viaduct which is not connected in any significant way to the Gardiner, and will therefore allow local traffic to flow without getting caught up in the Gardiner-related traffic.

Exactly.

The traffic on Spadina and York is mostly traffic trying to get onto the Gardiner.

Having a road that will take people who are not going to the Gardiner (going to, say, Lakeshore or QQ for example) will give those people a way to bypass that Gardiner bound traffic and will, then, free up some lane space on those routes for people bound for the expressway....it will just take a bit of time for people to figure out the new "best route" for their given destination.

I think the "truth" (as usual) lies between the extremes....this will, neither, be the cure-all for the city's traffic woes nor will it last long as a neglected, not used, connection.

Back