News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would do it sober, just need a posse to make it happen before the police arrive.

We need a diversion.

How about the Blue Jays winning the World Series? Been done.

How about declaring that the garbage strike is over? Nobody would believe that.

In my current drunken state I would think that the Jays would win the world series before this underpass opens or at least the city strike would be over.

august 5th is GO time!

it's on the agenda for the council meeting on august 5 @ 9:30am. when passed i'm guessing it will be a matter of days, possibly hours before the extension opens.

Opening of Northerly Extension of Lower Simcoe Street
Date: July 21, 2009
To: City Council
Wards: Ward 20
Reference
Number: P:\2009\Cluster B\Tec\CN09028.doc
SUMMARY
This report recommends that the proposed public street, being the northerly extension of
Lower Simcoe Street, be dedicated as public highway and named “Lower Simcoe Streetâ€,
and the portion of Simcoe Street located south of Front Street West, be renamed as
“Lower Simcoe Streetâ€.
RECOMMENDATIONS
The City Manager recommends that:
1. the proposed public street, being the northerly extension of Lower Simcoe Street,
be dedicated as public highway and named “Lower Simcoe Street†upon the
transfer of lands by the Toronto Port Authority to the City;
2. the portion of Simcoe Street, south of Front Street West, be renamed as “Lower
Simcoe Streetâ€; and
3. the appropriate City Officials be authorized and directed to take the necessary
action to give effect thereto, including the introduction of by-laws for the
consideration of City Council.
Financial Impact
There are no financial implications resulting from the adoption of this report.
ISSUE BACKGROUND
Northerly Extension of Lower Simcoe Street 2
The construction of the northerly extension of Lower Simcoe Street, including an
underpass, between Front Street West and Bremner Boulevard, has been completed and
should now be dedicated as public highway and named as Lower Simcoe Street. The
portion of Simcoe Street, south of Front Street West should be renamed Lower Simcoe
Street. The lands concerned are illustrated in Attachment No. 1.
As of the date of this report, a portion of the land to form part of the Lower Simcoe Street
extension has not been transferred to the City. In order to expedite the dedication of the
land for public highway purposes, the by-law to be enacted by Council will include a
clause that will trigger the dedication of land upon its transfer from the Toronto Port
Authority.
The Toronto and East York Community Council dealt with this matter at its meeting held
on May 14, 2009 (TE26.8), however, the renaming of streets and dedication of land for
public highway purposes are matters which have not been delegated to Community
Councils and therefore these matters must be authorized by City Council.
CONTACT
W. (Wally) Kowalenko, City Surveyor, Director
Phone: 416-392-7664, Fax: 416-392-0081, E-mail: wkowalen@toronto.ca
SIGNATURE

All the street address numbers had to change when streets were extended south, but the millionaires on Jarvis were too precious to change their addresses.

All the street address numbers had to change when streets were extended south, but the millionaires on Jarvis were too precious to change their addresses.

They changed every address number on Yonge st? That would have been quite the task...

Most of the lowers are on former rail lands and the streets themselves or development on them never existed until redevelopment took place.

Anything south of Front St didn't exist until mid 1800's as it was water.

The Railroad play a large part getting the land build to support it's expanding yards. The City help to fill in the lake until 1920's to create land for industries.

That is why Lower insert name exist.

Actually, the "Lowers" are largely confined to, and are indeed a byproduct of, the St Lawrence Neighbourhood zone--I don't think the "Lower" naming existed prior to the late 70s...

Actually, the "Lowers" are largely confined to, and are indeed a byproduct of, the St Lawrence Neighbourhood zone--I don't think the "Lower" naming existed prior to the late 70s...

I don't suppose you could elaborate on this perchance?

What about Lower Spadina, Lower Simcoe, and the former Lower Portland?

What about Lower Spadina, Lower Simcoe, and the former Lower Portland?

Okay, I take back to the "confined to"--however, the "Lowering" of them is just as "post-St Lawrence Neighbourhood" in spirit. Like, it seems that brownfields redevelopment is the perfect alibi to add "Lower", as if it renders those stretches more rarefied and "domestic" or something.

St Lawrence still started it all. "Lower" didn't factor in pre-late-70s.

So, what you're saying is that there were no streets named "lower" until some streets named "lower" were built?

Back