News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I always mixed up the difference between Upper and Lower Canada in history class. On maps Lower Canada was higher longitudinal, while Upper Canada was lower longitudinal. Upper Canada is now Ontario, while Lower Canada is now Quebec.

So, what you're saying is that there were no streets named "lower" until some streets named "lower" were built?

Actually I think you mean that the Street existed and was extended south and (presumably to avoid massive renumbering) the new section was called "Lower". (Or, in the case of George, South.)

I do not think all these changes / additions occured in the 1970s, Lower Jarvis and Lower Sherbourne certainly existed as streets FAR earlier - the rail bridges are date 1929. George did go further south than Front at one time but maybe when it went south of The Esplanade in the 1970s/1980s they 'ran out of numbers' and had to change it to South.

I always mixed up the difference between Upper and Lower Canada in history class. On maps Lower Canada was higher longitudinal, while Upper Canada was lower longitudinal. Upper Canada is now Ontario, while Lower Canada is now Quebec.

i used to remember it by upper canada being further up river. i think that's how it got its name.

I do not think all these changes / additions occured in the 1970s, Lower Jarvis and Lower Sherbourne certainly existed as streets FAR earlier - the rail bridges are date 1929.

They existed--but they weren't officially labelled "Lower" until the St Lawrence Neighbourhood was built. It was a "community-defining" conceit, IOW.

Look it up on old maps, in old street directories and records: they used to be just plain Jarvis and Sherbourne to the south, no different from the north. (I'm supposing the fact that they were largely industrial at the time obviated the need for "Lower" numbering.)

Last edited:
I always wondered how early Canadians figured out that Ontario was higher than Quebec, but that answer makes so much sense!

The issue of Upper and Lower Canada concerned the St Lawrence River. Upper Canada was up river from lower Canada. Everything revolved around the St Lawrence at the time. It is NOT rocket science.

On maps Lower Canada was higher longitudinal, while Upper Canada was lower longitudinal.

Actually, Upper Canada was higher longitudinal (the north-south lines, starting at 0 in England and counting up east and west from there). It is lower latitudinal (0 is at the equator).

Was the Simcoe St By Law passed today at City Council so that the street can open? It will be a great new link to the Waterfront!

Was the Simcoe St By Law passed today at City Council so that the street can open? It will be a great new link to the Waterfront!

no idea. all i know is that city council has adjourned for the day, and will continue tomorrow morning. not sure if they got around to passing this today.

meanwhile back at the ranch, after days of the construction guys doing NOTHING, all of a sudden they're back on the site finishing things up. i thought they were finished weeks ago. i seriously have my doubts that this thing will ever open...

is anyone from the city even paying attention? THIS PROJECT IS MONTHS/YEARS LATE!

no idea. all i know is that city council has adjourned for the day, and will continue tomorrow morning. not sure if they got around to passing this today.

meanwhile back at the ranch, after days of the construction guys doing NOTHING, all of a sudden they're back on the site finishing things up. i thought they were finished weeks ago. i seriously have my doubts that this thing will ever open...

is anyone from the city even paying attention? THIS PROJECT IS MONTHS/YEARS LATE!

According to the City Meeting Monitor this item is "Held" (by Howard Mosoe). I assume it will be discussed today.

The item concerning Lower Simcoe just PASSED at City Council with an amendment (no, I do not know what it said).

Also, the flurry of work noted above seems to be the putting up (replacing) of the siding onto the hotel. About an hour ago it was 75% up so should be done today or tomorrow. Maybe the new link will open on the weekend??

This is the latest up to date info from city council. apparently this item is dependant on bill 693 somehow. not sure what this means, or how this affects the opening date. seems to me the wait isn't over yet...

CC38.18

Opening of Northerly Extension of Lower Simcoe Street (Ward 20) URGENT

Bill 693 has been submitted on this Item. (Bill status pending) Amended

This is the latest up to date info from city council. apparently this item is dependant on bill 693 somehow. not sure what this means, or how this affects the opening date. seems to me the wait isn't over yet...

I googled it and it came up with this link: http://tinyurl.com/lcbz78

It is a legal document from the City of Toronto. Here is the key part of text from the document:

Bill 693

To dedicate certain land to form part of Lower Simcoe Street, being the northerly extension of Lower Simcoe Street, for public highway purposes to form part of the public highway Lower Simcoe Street, and to name such lands and to rename part of Simcoe Street extending southerly from Front Street West as Lower Simcoe Street.

Back