News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Somewhat unrelated, but I love this sentence:

Like many neighbourhoods with streetcar routes in downtown Toronto, there are redundant (double) poles on Lower Simcoe Street...

Somebody forgot to mention that there are triple and even quadruple poles in some neighbourhoods. Now that's redundancy for you.

On page 5 it says that 18 York will be an office building accompanied by a 37 storey hotel and condo on the western part of the block. Has anyone seen any proposals for this project which I guess would be the NE cnr of Simcoe and Brenmer?

On page 5 it says that 18 York will be an office building accompanied by a 37 storey hotel and condo on the western part of the block. Has anyone seen any proposals for this project which I guess would be the NE cnr of Simcoe and Brenmer?

A couple of years ago rumour had it, that it was going to be a future Fairmont Hotel.

Somewhat unrelated, but I love this sentence:

Somebody forgot to mention that there are triple and even quadruple poles in some neighbourhoods. Now that's redundancy for you.

the best part is that the the next sentence has the same "redundant (double) pole" phrase

Last edited:
Does Fairmont currently own the land? Or is it owned by a totally separate party such as GWL?

I heartily support all these much-needed improvements to Lower Jarvis, especially the approved pedestrian crossings for the Lakeshore. The "circuitous" crossing on one side, as they describe it, makes visiting the Loblaws down there a dangerous and time consuming proposition.

I notice that people already cross north-south on the west side anyway, without markings, which is enormously dangerous. The crossings are poorly marked so drivers don't notice or respect them. There seems to be no mention, however, of increasing the light lengths; I'm a fast walker but I can barely make it across in time, and only if I can start walking the instant the light turns green. If a turning car cuts you off and you have to wait, you lose your entire light.

I love how they snuck this in. Agenda anyone?!?

"While the F. G. Gardiner Expressway poses a barrier between the Financial District and Central Waterfront, residents have stressed that the non-pedestrian friendly environment at the and Lake Shore Boulevard West crossing is a bigger barrier to pedestrian movement."

How did the Gardiner get mentioned when it is a non-issue???

Can't this city do anything without pushing Millers anti-car agenda???

How did the Gardiner get mentioned when it is a non-issue??? Can't this city do anything without pushing Millers anti-car agenda???

The Report by City staff is reporting on what local citizens have said; I was at the public meeting on this project and most of the citizen comments were on exactly this issue. Crossing the Gardiner off/on ramps is a big part of the problem of reaching the Lake, safely.

The Report by City staff is reporting on what local citizens have said; I was at the public meeting on this project and most of the citizen comments were on exactly this issue. Crossing the Gardiner off/on ramps is a big part of the problem of reaching the Lake, safely.

The funny thing is that it will be these same citizens that will complain the most if the Gardiner dissappears, as their commutes will get longer (you would be surprised how many people live downtown and work in 905)

City Council approved the Report from Toronto and East York Community Council today and instructed Transportation to install a pedestrian light at the Lower Jarvis on-ramp to the Gardiner "by the end of 2009". The St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association had been pressing for this.

Apparently they're moving $500.000 from this project to the Front Street Pan Am Pedestrian Promenade Plan:
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.TE20.15

Is it still in the works or was this cancelled?
Yes, Council approved this move of funds this week (before the fisti-cuffs started!). This change was made because Front Street East (from Jarvis to Parliament) is being rebult in 2013 and there is an immediate need for $$ to improve the streeetscape and there are currently no immediate plans to reconstruct Lower Jarvis or the South Market. Most of this money will be spent at Jarvis and Front . The plans for Lower Jarvis have been partly completed - the work outside Market Wharf south of The Esplanade and work on the rail underpass and it is expected that other opportunities will arise to get the $$ needed to "finish" the Lower Jarvis promenade plan. Details at http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-51409.pdf

Back