8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

gmania

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any single malt scotch fans on the forum that can suggest a good bottle for a Christmas gift? The maximum I can spend is $70.

Thanks!

Thanks... I know how to use the LCBO inventory search.

I was hoping for some experienced scotch drinkers to make some suggestions and let me know what they like to drink.

Do you know what the recipient's tastes are like? The Glenlivet it a fairly safe choice, it tends to be well balanced and smooth (for a single malt). I myself like Glenfiddich because I tend to go for oaky scotches, but it's a little harsh for some. Then, I hate it myself, but I keep a bottle of Glenmorangnie on hand because I have a few friends that really like peaty scotch (I find it tastes like bogwater, but to each his own).

Which is why I suggested Glenfarclas as it is a sweet whisky with a long finish and it is within your budget.

The link to the LCBO site was merely provided to you as a courtesy so that you could locate an outlet near your location to make the purchase or, if you wish, to obtain other prodcuts and/or prices.

I really don't know why I even bothered.

Sorry brother, I thought you were just throwing out some random yet-to-be released product and the inventory.

I am unsure of this person's tastes (or if they even know what they like), so I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Find out what kind of scotch they like. There can be a big difference in personal tastes as far as single malts go, and while most people will drink most scotch, you can't be sure... People who like the really smokey scotches, like Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Lagavulin may not like the really oaked, toffee-sweet Highland stuff like Macallan. If you're not sure, a nice, neutral bottle like Highland Park, Arran, or Glenrothes is a good choice, and it's not as generic as Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, which any scotch fan would have, and probably be tired of.

Agree with Therion that individual taste preference is very important. However, it the person is not an experienced Scotch drinker, probably something not too extreme is best. I'm thinking Highland Park 12 ($60) or Balvenie Doublewood 12 ($60) may be good starts.

As well, if you or anyone you know are doing any cross-border shopping, try the duty-free places as LCBO markups on Scotches are through the roof. I'm pretty sure one or both of the HP and Balvenie are available at almost all duty free places.

mmmm, Balvenie .... dam, looked up the last price for the portwood and it is going up up up up up up up..... over $200 now :p

Back to screech!

Never liked the Portwood... for some reason I have an aversion to most double-wooded scotch, I find them too vanilla-ish. They remind me of bad chardonnay. I'm definitely a smoke-head. Currently looking to add a nice Ardbeg to the collection.

Have you considered buying the 3-pack gift set of single malt scotch? They are a sample size, but combined make a nice gift.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=135269

I think Glenfiddich or Macallan has such a gift set, I've received in the past when I first began drinking scotch. It was good because I was able to sample the 12, 15,18 years without having to spring for the full bottles.

But ideally I would suggest Oban, best I've had. My prof at uni got me started on it. But it is $120/bottle.

Last edited:
mmmm, Balvenie .... dam, looked up the last price for the portwood and it is going up up up up up up up..... over $200 now :p

Back to screech!

Yes, if you insist on buying at LCBO, which as I said before, has atrocious markups on Scotch or Whiskeys in general. Instead, you should buy it in the US.

I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. I ended up purchasing a bottle of Highland Park 12.

Back