5.2K     0 

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=1722047

Six killed, 70 injured in D.C. subway crash

Andy Sullivan, Reuters Published: Monday, June 22, 2009

47645143.jpg

WASHINGTON -- Six people were killed and at least 70 were injured when a Washington, D.C., subway train derailed and smashed into another train on the outskirts of the city during the afternoon rush hour on Monday, officials said.

Washington D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, giving the number of those killed, called the crash the deadliest in the history of the city's "Metro" train subway system.

The city's fire chief said 70 people had been treated for injuries so far.

Several mangled cars of one train were lying on top of the other train on open-air tracks, and emergency worked propped ladders against train doors to rescue people.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, which runs the subway system, said a six-car Red Line train derailed and collided with another train at about 5 p.m. EST.

The transit authority said one of those killed was a female train operator.

"The incident is under investigation but it appears that the trains were on the same track and the operator who was killed was on the trailing train," it said.

The accident trapped passengers in one or more of the subway cars.

Emergency rescue personnel worked to free the passengers, while others carried injured people off the trains on stretchers.

"We are working to first get everyone outside of the train and everyone who needs medical attention will get [it]," the general manager of metro system, John Catoe, told reporters.

The accident occured between Fort Totten and Takoma stations on the northeastern outskirts of the city near the border with Maryland.

One witness described how one train appeared to collide with and then run up and over the second train.

"It was very mangled, everything is ripped out of there," the woman, who was not identified, told the local ABC television affiliate.

Ladders were placed along the wreckage as rescue workers examined the wreckage and used cutting devices to free those trapped inside.

A reporter with Fox television's local news affiliate said he saw what appeared to be a body covered with a sheet, and several injured passengers including one wearing a neck brace.

The subway system is heavily used to get in and around the U.S. capital.

The Metrorail and Metrobus services serve a population of 3.5 million people within an area of 3,890 square kilometres. The subway had a total of 215.3 million trips in the last fiscal year.

Freight rail traffic operating through Maryland and Washington, D.C., will be affected by Monday's deadly subway collision, authorities said.

City officials said they plan to discuss the situation with CSX Corp about service over the next few days.

tragic.

i wonder what caused it to derail?

That's horrific. Brings back memories of the crash in Toronto about 15 years ago.

The report I heard on the radio said that the train in front had been stopped because of work taking place on the tracks. It didn't explain why the signal system apparently failed to stop the second train.

That's horrific. Brings back memories of the crash in Toronto about 15 years ago.

That was the Russell Hill Incident. The TTC uses the APTA system for safety procedures. The first two recommendations a Coroners Inquest came up with following the Russell Hill incident was to use the Railroad Safety Act of Canada. Why we are using an American system is beyond me. With 600,000 people a day using the subway I think we should revisit our safety system in Toronto.

That's a shocker. I am otherwise greatly impressed with that system after having used it while at a conference in DC. I'm wondering if this is another text messaging incident, such as what happened on that commuter train in LA awhile back.

I heard on CNN today that the NTSB had issue with the crashworthiness of WMATA's older stock (apparently one of the trains involved) and recomended the fleet be retrofitted or phased out. Apparently neither happened.

Last edited:
WMATA is planning to replace those 1000 Series cars with the 7000s, it would be too expensive for WMATA to rebuild those trains again.

Washington Metro crash...

Everyone: This was a tragic accident-the worst in the Metro's 32-year history.
I have spent time in Washington-mostly in the early 80s - and I have ridden the Metro many times-including that section of the Red Line where this accident occured.

There is a in-depth discussion on this accident at www.railroad.net/
A direct link is here to the Washington Metro section and this topic:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=62770
LI MIKE

Back