News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

astroturf

Member Bio
Reaction score
Stinson's latest proposal - jk ;)

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/sky_farm_propos.php

torontoskyfarm.jpg

Huh? Is this supposed to be a farce? I don't get it if it is supposed to be funny.

That, of course, is the site of the U/C Festival Tower.

In the 905 they should build these in the middle of all new subdivisions. If you're willing to buy a house that sits on once fertile farmland having one of these in your view should be an added price that you pay.

This is mostly symbolic. To do any large scale production efficiently would require much wider, squatter structures, probably on the edge of town rather than in the heart of the city.

Of heard of these... in fact, I'm sure I saw it on the back of the official Doors Open 2007 guide.

They make lots of sense, except for the fact that growing what we'll eat in the middle of city smog is not advisable.

I think vertical greenhouses would work though. Maybe even vertical "rain forrests" in the heart of large metropolises that would work to consume CO2 and produce clean oxygen.

From the article:

"Now we present Gordon Graff's Sky Farm proposed for downtown Toronto's theatre district. It's got 58 floors, 2.7 million square feet of floor area and 8 million square feet of growing area. It can produce as much as a thousand acre farm, feeding 35 thousand people per year and providing tomatoes to throw at the latest dud at the Princess of Wales Theatre to the east, and olives for the Club District to the north."

...and you can hide your weed in it.

Farm Scraper

torontoskyfarm.jpg

We previously showed Chris Jacobs' vertical farm design for New York and Pierre Sartoux's Living Tower from Vertical Farm; Now we present Gordon Graff's Sky Farm proposed for downtown Toronto's theatre district. It's got 58 floors, 2.7 million square feet of floor area and 8 million square feet of growing area. It can produce as much as a thousand acre farm, feeding 35 thousand people per year and providing tomatoes to throw at the latest dud at the Princess of Wales Theatre to the east, and olives for the Club District to the north. Thankfully it overwhelms the horrid jello-mold Holiday Inn to the west.

torontosection.jpg

The First Post discusses skyscraper farming:

t's a tempting proposition - no more weather-related crop failures, diseases spread by livestock, or runoff polluting water sources. Not to mention locally-grown produce for the residents of central London, Manhattan and Tokyo, eliminating the environmental costs of transport (with fresher lettuces to boot).

Skyscraper farms can operate year-round with artificial lighting, so, on average, one indoor acre is the equivalent to between four and six outdoors, and companies are vying to reap the financial rewards that come from this increased efficiency

Umm...yaaaaa

taken from: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/sky_farm_propos.php

If it rains hard will the exterior turn into a mudslide with great gobs of mud and turf cascading onto king street. Also I hope they have good ventilation because chicken farms reek like you wouldn't believe.

This kind of idea is perhaps viable, but not in any way resembling what they propose, especially growing crops otuside at an altitude of 700 feet. It would be obliterated by the wind. It would have to be entirely enclosed.

Yeah, I don't know about a farm, but that rendering looks pretty cool. It's like a green roof taken to its logical conclusion.

Back