8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Ronald

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here are some shots I took from various buildings this week.

Amsterdam's outher city centre (taken from the University of Amsterdam monday)

5.jpg

4.jpg

Taken on thursday

The ringroad, seen from a train
1.jpg

Multi-modal transit station 'Amsterdam Zuid WTC'

2.jpg

Architecture in the Zuid neighbourhood.
3.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

The Free University, from where I took the next shots.

9.jpg

Skyscraper cluster around the 'Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA' multimodal transit station. The Ajax stadium is also located here.
10.jpg

22.jpg

11.jpg

The ING office, a.k.a. 'The 'Boat'
12.jpg

13.jpg

Skyscrapers around the Amsterdam Zuid WTC station
14.jpg

15.jpg

Behind the tallest crane, the Rembrandt Tower can be seen.
The Rembrandt Tower is 135m. tall.
16.jpg

17.jpg

In the background, the old city centre can be seen.
18.jpg

20.jpg

Residential neighbourhood in Zuid.
21.jpg

Amsterdam may be known for its old city centre, there are still plenty of highrises in the outher neighbourhoods. This is typical for many larger European cities, to have skyscrapers on the outside and lowrises in the centre. In North America, the opposite is true, with skyscrapers in the CBD and McMansions in the suburbs.

23.jpg

Planes fly over the area all the time, as it is pretty close to Schiphol Airport.
24.jpg

The roof of the Free University.
25.jpg

On my way home again: the Zuid-WTC station.
26.jpg

Rotterdam skyline pics will follow soon.

Taken from Erasmus University on wednesday.

Pano taken from the top floor

3.jpg

Pre-war neighbourhood north of downtown.
In the background, the skylines of Delft (left) and The Hague (right) can be seen.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Pano taken from a mid-building floor

BTW this is the first thread I posted since I moved into my appartment in Utrecht, I'll post some pics of my new city soon.

Amsterdam may be known for its old city centre, there are still plenty of highrises in the outher neighbourhoods. This is typical for many larger European cities, to have skyscrapers on the outside and lowrises in the centre. In North America, the opposite is true, with skyscrapers in the CBD and McMansions in the suburbs.
Toronto being a bit of an exception though.

Great pics as always Ron!

Ronald, you were in town and didn't say hi?

Actually, I've been doing my own exploring for the last couple weeks. I've been to The Hague, Alkmaar, Haarlem, Zanse Shans, Zandvoort, Egmond an Zee and Monickendaam. I also made it to Antwerp and Brussels. I'd post photos but I'm taking more tourist photos than anything sky scraper geeks would likely care for. (I am, however, putting together a collection of photos of modern Amsterdam residential buildings and how they blend with the historic buildings surrounding them that I'll post when I have enough.)

At some point I'll have to check out Rotterdam but I think it'll have to wait until after Paris.

Excellent pics Ronald!

Stop it! You're killing me! Great shots that just keep reminding me that I won't be able to make to Amsterdam for at least another 13-14 months!

Ronald - do you run a private tour company? If so, you have a customer for sometime in Summer 2008!

Stop it! You're killing me! Great shots that just keep reminding me that I won't be able to make to Amsterdam for at least another 13-14 months!

Ronald - do you run a private tour company? If so, you have a customer for sometime in Summer 2008!

For some odd reason, I keep feeling the urge to go out and take pictures ;)

When are you here? I'll be heading to the US in the summer of 2008. I will probably be in the Netherlands until early July, but that can still change.

Indense, I'm looking foreward to that photothread!
What did you think of Brussels? I will be there in 2 weeks... got any recommandations? Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of spare time while I'm there. I'm going on an excursion with the Uni, to look at city planning in Belgium. A tour of the EU Parliament is also on our programme:)
We'll also be going to Zeebrugge, Brugge, Gent, Louvain-la-Neuve (the sole Belgian Newtown) and the industrial cities in the French-speaking part of the country.
Also, you can't leave Europe without having seen Rotterdam, IMO. It is a unique city, with lots of experimental architecture and highrises in the city centre.

When are you here? I'll be heading to the US in the summer of 2008. I will probably be in the Netherlands until early July, but that can still change.

A family member may be teaching a University summer course in Berlin in 2008. My visit would be timed to coincide with some of that. It's all up in the air still...

I'll let you know a year from now!

^What a fantastic opportunity. Is he/she going to teach at Humboldt University?
There also is a Technical University in Berlin. I am sure that there are many more but these two are known best.

She already did it once in Summer 2006. It was a U of T summer course that took place at the Technical University if I remember correctly. She was asked to do it again this year, but said no, but expects to be asked again next year, when she plans to say yes again. Rather selfishly, I hope it all works out for her - I have an invite if it does, and big plans already formulating...

What did you think of Brussels?
I thought Brussels was amazing. I was only there for a few hours. From what I saw, it has a pretty amazing combination of a beautiful old city centre, broad avenues, a lot of parkland and shiny skyskrapers.

The city centre and main square were more impressive than anything I've seen in Amsterdam, the Hague, Antwerp or London.

The avenues make me think of Paris (although I haven't been to Paris yet). It's definitely built more for cars than Amsterdam. I wasn't almost run over by a cyclist even once.

There were rolling, manicured parks and mature trees. We were told that the king of belgium goes for strolls in the public park across from his 'working' palace.

The skyscrapers aren't tall by toronto or chicago standards and they aren't really creative or unique by dutch standards but I'm sure you can find something of interest - i honestly didn't have time to look.

Recommendations? For something to eat, go to the Sint-Hubertusgalerijen (which is a must-see by itself), and about half way down there is a narrow street that intersects at a right angle that is lined with restaurants and patios.

512801419_3c4e7bf6f4.jpg
512801475_13e0140ca2.jpg

You have to see the Gross Markt and I've been told that if you don't see the statue of the pissing boy (located just off the Gross Markt) you haven't really been to Brussels.

512801363_b84f5e8b1b.jpg

512801303_e68ff8a781.jpg

If you don't see anything else, you have to see the Victory Gate. It's one of the most impressive sights I've seen. I didn't get a picture though. I had already put my camera away. Better if you don't know what to expect.

Also, if you have a vehicle and the time, the big shiny balls of doom are pretty cool.

512764494_bc6ff5be8e.jpg

I will definitely be going back when I can dedicate more time to seeing the city properly.

Indense, thanks for your review of Brussels. I am definitely looking foreward to going there. I'll try to make it to the Hubertusgallerijen and to the Victory Gate. I'll be in Brussels for just two days unfortunately. On our programme is: the European neighbourhood, the EU parliament, an expo about European buildings in Brussels (at the Leopold station), a guided walk through an immigrant's neighbourhood, and a walk through the inner city.
I'm sure the Grote Markt is included in the programme. Also, you indeed can't say that you've been to Brussels if you haven't seen Manneke Pis!
I'll post plenty of pics when I get back :)

Back