News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

@nfitz You need to take a break from political posting until the election is over.

You don't think those same suburbanites aren't going to get off at these downtown GO stations? They will no longer necessarily travel to Union if they don't need to go that far south. So it's still a trip across municipal borders and why the city of Toronto shouldn't have to pay for regional travel.

There will be a combination of trip patterns, including those across the borders.

However, Toronto residents will be the main beneficiaries of the new SmartTrack stations. Otherwise, they would be crowding the packed Subway Line 1, or driving. Thus, it would be quite weird if the city refused to contribute anything just because the SmartTrack trains run on the provincially regulated rails.

I live in the beaches ... and I know I'll be giving Gerrard or East Harbour a long look to get to my future workplace in Southcore.

@nfitz You need to take a break from political posting until the election is over.
Because I say that SmartTrack stations are way overpriced at hundreds of millions each, and aren't comparable to existing stations?

Hey, if you want to let the Liberals waste money on unnecessary infrastructure like massive suburban (and rural) GO stations and $3.5 billion subway station go ahead ...

I live in the beaches ... and I know I'll be giving Gerrard or East Harbour a long look to get to my future workplace in Southcore.
I'd think that the subway from either of those two stations would be faster, changing to something else, depending where in Southcore it is.

@nfitz lol not because of SmartTrack, on which I am neutral or agree with you. I meant all the election/Doug Ford stuff.

Not Doug specifically maybe, but the PC party in the same sneering, smug way.

Don't forget the footnote that John Tory (the current mayor) was the Ontario PC leader from September 28, 2004 to March 20, 2009. So John may have some influence with the PC's.

Received via email:

Join Us For Live, Online Town Halls On June 18, 20 and 21
Metrolinx and the City of Toronto, as co-proponents, will be hosting online town halls to consult on SmartTrack/GO stations in accordance with the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) under Ontario Regulation 231/08: Transit Projects and Metrolinx Undertakings.

At the online town halls, we will provide an update of the work underway, including environmental studies, for the new SmartTrack/GO stations. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions and provide comments about the project. Before the online town halls, we recommend that you visit our new interactive map atsmarttrack.to/socialpinpoint.

ZxgiFfBY0gDTs0NPbKKMIcNy-AljqLu5SPxY6G6a6ZfDUX9JNNMQ1GCOxUg4S0whZeFs0ijohHn2kaSlSW0tXJH3fdymGUJLKN1tPoZhr7O0tp5K7aKpEPMiW6tk5TTsVphOu63RdajN5dGOB9-u8vM=s0-d-e1-ft

Online Town Hall Details

MONDAY, JUNE 18
7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Station focus: Finch-Kennedy and Lawrence-Kennedy SmartTrack Stations

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20
Station focus: Gerrard-Carlaw and East Harbour SmartTrack Stations, and Spadina-Front GO Station

THURSDAY, JUNE 21
Station focus: St. Clair-Old Weston and King-Liberty SmartTrack Stations, and Bloor-Lansdowne GO Station

To attend the live, online town halls, visit smarttrack.to/townhall or call 800.457.6180 during the above times.

Can't attend live? We will be uploading recordings and transcripts of the online town halls on our websites: www.smartrack.to & www.metrolinx.com/newstations.

Click here to view the PDF version of this notice

Cy5TJO6006kQpqrtD-JgRz0gMA9ZWpMiOng7ShvMixKW1DKf7PTX_cnDbDGy0MlGvWd81b7L7IzvwGZTzpjEHEBKtujCtvugUN_T9Tm6J46fVU6ZFfflgRy2kzl2X9a1caI=s0-d-e1-ft

I can't see Lawrence East Smarttrack station surviving after Ford's election. He'll want subway instead

I can't see Lawrence East Smarttrack station surviving after Ford's election. He'll want subway instead

The Smarttrack location has some surrounding developments in the pipeline and if its the City paying for the stop Ford likely wont care. They might not butt heads here and possibly build both given the importance of each line to each others campaings.

Also i see solid benefit for redundancy when either line is down for maintenance or emergency to transport TTC commuters from the City Core to a Central Scarborough area

Last edited:
The city is footing the bill. It doesn't block cars, or remove traffic lanes.

Of all the things that I fully expect that fool to cancel - this is one that I doubt he gives two hoots about.

I attended the last meeting for the west end stations at Lithuania House.... by far the single most vocal issue was the concern over trains ringing bells at the stations, given the increased frequency of trains and the densities around these stations. Seemed like a reasonable concern after the UPE Bloor/Weston experience, and one which other countries have reasonable solutions for, eg instead of bells, use the platform PAs to warn of approaching trains.
I see this issue, while documented, has been neatly sidestepped.

- Paul

Back