News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Presentation is available for St Clair Station now.

Interestingly, the station works seems to be building all of the St. Clair West Transportation Improvements except for the Keele St Extension south to Gunns Road - wonder how that will get built, perhaps part of the adjacent development recently proposed?

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png

Presentation is available for St Clair Station now.

Interestingly, the station works seems to be building all of the St. Clair West Transportation Improvements except for the Keele St Extension south to Gunns Road - wonder how that will get built, perhaps part of the adjacent development recently proposed?

View attachment 366562View attachment 366563View attachment 366564View attachment 366565View attachment 366566View attachment 366567View attachment 366568
I find it funny, they're using the TTC font at the entrance.

Interestingly, the station works seems to be building all of the St. Clair West Transportation Improvements except for the Keele St Extension south to Gunns Road - wonder how that will get built, perhaps part of the adjacent dev

Slide 12 seems to show the Keele extension intersecting with Gunns/Turnberry. You're probably right that specifics of that are to be worked out with development of the area.

forgive me if this has been asked before, but how will smarttrack work in reality? is it just glorified improvements to existing GO services + added stations? will it be a separate service called smarttrack? or, ideally in my opinion, will it be added to the existing Toronto rail map as potentially line A of our subway system? also, what will the rolling stock be? i'm struggling to see this as a feasible project incorporated into the city's network rather than a fledgling campaign promise.
Not even glorified...

forgive me if this has been asked before, but how will smarttrack work in reality? is it just glorified improvements to existing GO services + added stations?
They're GO stations with whatever standard service GO provides. The new Finch station is also a good example of potential TTC bus service integration with a GO train service, something lacking today. At most GO stations transit integration is poor: long pedestrian connection or bus route needs to go out of the way to get to the station. Some suburban stations (Allandale) seem better but that's only because the sole purpose of the bus is to take you to the GO station.

GO-RER, no matter how good the service is, benefits from strong integration with local transit. We cannot build 20,000 additional parking spaces at every single station but we can run 30 buses per hour, if infrastructure allows for easy transfers and fares encourage it, just as they might at a subway station today. TTC benefits from churn (every seat free'd at a GO station can be filled again before the subway) and GO benefits from a stable base-load.

GO trains should be significantly cheaper to operate and maintain (per customer) than a subway train as well after upgrades are completed.

Last edited:
They're GO stations with whatever standard service GO provides. The new Finch station is also an excellent example of potential TTC bus service integration with a GO train service.

GO-RER, no matter how good the service is, benefits from strong integration with local transit. We cannot build 20,000 additional parking spaces at every single station but we can run 30 buses per hour, if infrastructure allows for easy transfers and fares encourage it, just as they might at a subway station today. TTC benefits from churn (every seat free'd at a GO station can be filled again before the subway) and GO benefits from a stable base-load.

GO trains should be significantly cheaper to operate and maintain (per customer) than a subway train as well after upgrades are completed.

Strong integration doesnt just mean buses to bring people in, it means fare integration.

You can have a billion buses a minute, but if you gotta fork out another $4.50 to ride the thing downtown after already paying TTC fare, and potentially have to pay another fare to hop back on the TTC at union...good luck getting any riders.

With good transit route integration and fair fare integration (i'd say no pricier than the express buses) then GO-RER/Smarttrack could be a huge success.

Strong integration doesnt just mean buses to bring people in, it means fare integration.

You can have a billion buses a minute, but if you gotta fork out another $4.50 to ride the thing downtown after already paying TTC fare, and potentially have to pay another fare to hop back on the TTC at union...good luck getting any riders.

With good transit route integration and fair fare integration (i'd say no pricier than the express buses) then GO-RER/Smarttrack could be a huge success.

I think fare integration (subway and GO pricing equalized) is inevitable, though timing is uncertain. GO operating/maintenance costs will be lower than the subway after upgrades are complete, and someday a provincial government will look at that and do something with it. Instead of funding yet another round of expensive TTC capacity upgrades or extensions they will go with an alternative plan using GO as a backbone to save money.

That said, subway fares may be increased to GO levels rather than the other way around; either way they'll be normalized. A very clever provincial/municipal government might set automated-taxi taxes at the similar level as a GO/TTC metro fare per km too to prevent roadway congestion.

Last edited:
The streetcar integration is a disappointment. The streetcar only goes a few stops west of the rail corridor after which a transfer to 189 is required. They should have all routes lead to the bus loop including the streetcar so a high quality transit hub can exist. If the connection between the station and the Stockyards is high quality, why does the streetcar need to go past the station and need this road widening? There is a logical disconnect between the spend on road widening and commentary that a quality connection to 512 is being provided when the 512 ends at the Stockyards.

The streetcar integration is a disappointment. The streetcar only goes a few stops west of the rail corridor after which a transfer to 189 is required. They should have all routes lead to the bus loop including the streetcar so a high quality transit hub can exist. If the connection between the station and the Stockyards is high quality, why does the streetcar need to go past the station and need this road widening? There is a logical disconnect between the spend on road widening and commentary that a quality connection to 512 is being provided when the 512 ends at the Stockyards.
I think because they're still protecting for a future extension to Jane Street. No matter how little has been done on that, it's still a proposal on the books...

I think because they're still protecting for a future extension to Jane Street. No matter how little has been done on that, it's still a proposal on the books...
Something that is unlikely to ever be a priority but if magically it was prioritized would need a proper connection to this station. The success of the TTC subway and surface transit feeder route model is based on the model of sheltered bus loops from which all routes begin. Surface transit "nearby" isn't close to being the same thing.

Back