News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

IMO if they want more people to ride their bikes to the stations there needs to be more secure bicycle parking. It only seems to be in the initial designs at 2 of the 6 stations. For example Gerrard-Carlaw has 4 proposed sheltered bike parking locations but not one secure bike parking location.

The SmartTrack and Relief Line planners don't seem to have met. They continue to sketch out stations such as East Harbour and Gerrard with different conceptions of where the entrances and connections might be. Although this is probably at the 2% stage. I hope they don't go too much further without some sort of agreement.

This news release was sent out. Mentions SmartTrack.

email_banner_EN.gif
nr-heading-en.gif

News Release

Ontario Cuts Red Tape to Unlock Development and Create New Jobs
July 20, 2018

New Lower Don Project Will Help Bring Over 50,000 Jobs to Toronto
TORONTO - Ontario is cutting red tape to support new office and retail space in Toronto's Lower Don area and helping to create more than 50,000 new jobs, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark announced today.

"By reducing Ontario's regulatory burden we're smoothing the way for the first of many projects in the Lower Don area and sending the message that Ontario is open for business," said Clark. "Making a simple change in the Building Code specific to the Lower Don Lands means construction can happen at the same time flood protection infrastructure is being put in place. To protect health and safety, the Building Code amendment also prevents the buildings from being occupied until the flood risk is removed."

The Lower Don area is a prime location for development, with plans for new waterfront parks, open spaces, green infrastructure and brownfield remediation. Planning for a new integrated GO/Smart Track transit station is also underway. Streamlining provincial approvals with the City of Toronto will bring the project to market faster and will enable private and public infrastructure construction that will add an estimated $5.1 billion to the Canadian economy.

"We're making government work harder, smarter and more efficiently to make life better for the people of Toronto and everyone in the province," said Clark.

CONTACTS
Conrad Spezowka
Communications Branch
416-585-7066
MMA.media@ontario.ca

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
http://www.ontario.ca/mmah

This news release was sent out. Mentions SmartTrack.
Well, mentions "a new integrated GO/Smart Track transit station" as part of area redevelopment.

I'm less confident they'll actually run any kind of frequent urban metro-like service than they'll build a new over-designed GO station, and stop some trains there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at the end of the day, all we'll have out of SmartTrack, is a 3 or 4 new GO stations, diesel trains, and longer travel times with more stops.

Cynical much? The conservatives have said repeatedly that RER is not cancelled.
They also said no one would be laid off if they were elected, and have failed to mention the electrification component of the RER.

Without EMUs, they can't get enough acceleration out of the stations that is necessary to maintain the current travel times and add stations.

Given the current Premier's long-documented history of pathologically lying and flip-flopping I'd expect everyone to be a bit cynical!

Even if RER might be cancelled, Tory is a conservative, and has connections with the PCs, so even if they cancel RER on the Barrie, Lakeshore lines, they might still keep RER on Kitchener/Stouffville line and call it simply Smarttrack.

That would keep into their whole "cancelling everything that has Liberal branding all over it" metric, but still appease one of their own (Tory)

I understand that. My question is how they are going to make the math work given they want to reduce the deficit, cut taxes, and they've already cut the cap and trade revenue stream. Maybe they are hoping for more federal transfers. Also, the line-by-line review announced hinted that downloading onto municipalities may happen.

I understand that. My question is how they are going to make the math work given they want to reduce the deficit, cut taxes, and they've already cut the cap and trade revenue stream. Maybe they are hoping for more federal transfers. Also, the line-by-line review announced hinted that downloading onto municipalities may happen.
What can the Province even upload to the Feds?

GOs annual operating subsidy is sufficient to cover all interest from capital program borrowing; meaning if they eliminate the subsidy entirely (about a 30% fare increase with zero loss in ridership) they can follow through on RER with a near zero net impact on the budget.

It's actually tricky to cut the GO rail program too much as they've already sold their downtown bus station and the new location won't hold all the routes.

Even if RER might be cancelled, Tory is a conservative, and has connections with the PCs, so even if they cancel RER on the Barrie, Lakeshore lines, they might still keep RER on Kitchener/Stouffville line and call it simply Smarttrack.

That would keep into their whole "cancelling everything that has Liberal branding all over it" metric, but still appease one of their own (Tory)
Tory will have to cross his own hurdle in October, so I don't expect any major action between now and then.

Back