News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Yes. I voted for him for that reason; he was the only candidate that wasn't going to attempt to kill GO RER (again, a promise to not do something).

I just find it amusing how few voters seem to realize what his promise really was, particularly when it was so close to the provincial election which was heavily transit oriented.

You really think it's the Toronto mayor who gets to decide whether to kill a provincial megaproject that touches all GTA municipalities? Lets not forget Tory was also the only candidate who promised that the DRL is not a priority, and it may very well get ignored indefinitely thanks to his distractions, just when council was finally starting to take it seriously.

You really think it's the Toronto mayor who gets to decide whether to kill a provincial megaproject that touches all GTA municipalities? Lets not forget Tory was also the only candidate who promised that the DRL is not a priority, and it may very well get ignored indefinitely thanks to his distractions, just when council was finally starting to take it seriously.

After the last few years, yes I do.

The Westin neighbourhood, without much support from council and city hall, did an excellent job of creating delays and escalating costs with minimal influence. If the mayor showed up at every meeting and gave a 20 minute speech about how this was bad for Toronto accompanied by a similar campaign in the press, I think it would have resulted in even more delays and higher costs.

This inevitably would have resulted in less work being tendered before the next provincial election. I also don't think that other parties will carry on with this line of work should the Liberals lose the next election.

Last edited:
Was finally starting to take it seriously?? Where, in an alternate reality?

Council officially declared the DRL the city's top transit priority in 2012, and then went back to ignoring it. It's not a priority, and it never really was. That's why Tory dropped his DRL advocacy last spring.

Tory dropped his DRL advocacy because the DRL was not an election issue in 2014, and won't be until the next election in 2018.

He has repeatedly stated that all DRL studies this council term are safe with him and will pass through the council chamber, and let's remember for years Tory was among the bigger DRL advocates.

Why would you ever run dual modes, when you can simply run diesel?

I don't think they'd electrify anwhere that won't RER service. I can't imagine that electrification would run past Georgetown.

Exactly. GO RER services would run to the outermost GTHA terminus (Hamilton, Milton, Mount Pleasant, East Gwillimbury, Bloomington, Mount Joy, and either Oshawa or Bowmanville), with diesel likely running local between those terminus points and places like Niagara Falls, Kitchener, Barrie, Lincolnville, and possibly Port Hope/Cobourg. From those terminus points into Union, those exurban routes would run basically express, with maybe only one or two stops at key transfer locations.

Tory dropped his DRL advocacy because the DRL was not an election issue in 2014, and won't be until the next election in 2018.

He has repeatedly stated that all DRL studies this council term are safe with him and will pass through the council chamber, and let's remember for years Tory was among the bigger DRL advocates.

Exactly. The DRL wasn't a big election issue because even if Council went full steam ahead on it, it wouldn't require any significant funding commitments until at least the next election. As long as Tory supports continuing the DRL studies, and backs that up with making sure there is the necessary amount of votes in Council to fund those studies, then I'm fine with it.

Last edited:
Work continues on the DRL. The need is there. The only concern I see is the money and whether there will be any left after other projects get their amounts.

Weston should rename themselves. Would really raise their cachet.

Whats wrong with the name? Weston stretches all the way up into Vaughan. The area around Weston Rd and Lawrence is not the greatest nor around 401 or Albion Rd. Not sure around Finch either. Ya, you are right. Name change

Whats wrong with the name? Weston stretches all the way up into Vaughan. The area around Weston Rd and Lawrence is not the greatest nor around 401 or Albion Rd. Not sure around Finch either. Ya, you are right. Name change

Maybe Galen should do a walkabout some time.

Not sure if this was ever covered, but what sort of train will Smart Track use? Double decker trains like the GO, or trains similar to what is used for the UPX?

Not sure if this was ever covered, but what sort of train will Smart Track use? Double decker trains like the GO, or trains similar to what is used for the UPX?
Neither I'd think. They'd be electrified. But whether EMUs, locomotives, single or double-decker, or length ... it's not been decided.

Back