News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This stood out for me too. What'is the political benefit to promising a subway to Mississauga when running for mayor of Toronto? Is Smitherman still stuck in the 905 centred mentality of the provincial Liberals?

Sherway Garden subway station is not in Mississauga and it has no benefit to Mississauga... all that's need is East Mall station.

A true 905 transit plan would have included Eglinton LRT to Renforth, connecting with the Mississauga Transitway, not to mention the Yonge Subway extension...

His plan is as ignorant of regional needs as Transit City is/was. Too bad.

This is a TWO TERM plan. Plans for his first term are mostly already funded.

Plans for his second term (the pie in the sky parts) will change significantly when re-promised during the 2014 election.

Subway to Sherway makes sense, in alleviating bus services off the already transit-congested Dundas from Cloverdale to Kipling. Sherway is already a white elephant that still looks like "too expensive" to be demolished. Besides the development around Sherway are already taking place and intensification is possible.

Axing Yonge to RHC, not restoring ECLRT and free senior ride sure looks stupid, but FWLRT southbound along Hwy 27 is awesome [I thought it looked silly even on my map], and Shep West to Downsview, SRT to subway conversion is win!
Smitherman should implement road tolls, but to fund its own road maintenance rather than dumping it into transit.

Last edited:
Wow - I always considered Smitherman a bit of an idiot. But this cements it.

Tha man has proposed extending the Bloor subway to Sherway Gardens.

TTC studied this in 2001, and estimated that the peak hour ridership was only 700 people.

700 people.

I'm shocked ... absolutely shocked.

To be fair, things have changed since then... for example the RTES projections had a population within 500 metres of only 69 people for the Sherway extension but even the first phase of One Sherway has several times that number. The station was rated high for development potential.

Last edited:
To be fair, things have changed since then... for example the RTES projections had a population within 500 metres of only 69 people for the Sherway extension but even the first phase of One Sherway has several times that number.
Sure, things have changed a bit. But have they changed enough to increase ridership by the factor of 15 necessary to justify this? Seems more something to keep a developer in that area happy, than a transit plan.

The whole plan is a huge disappointment. Phase 1 is pretty much everthing that is funded. And phase 2 simply adds in the Sherway extension, the Sheppard Extension to Downsview, and converts the existing SRT to subway without any exension. In terms of new riders, rapid transit is only really brought to people living near Sherway Gardens, and those at the Bathurst/Sheppard area.

The lack of vision here is shocking.

This stood out for me too. What'is the political benefit to promising a subway to Mississauga when running for mayor of Toronto? Is Smitherman still stuck in the 905 centred mentality of the provincial Liberals?

ummmm, Sherway is not in Mississauga.

Sure, things have changed a bit. But have they changed enough to increase ridership by the factor of 15 necessary to justify this? Seems more something to keep a developer in that area happy, than a transit plan.

The whole plan is a huge disappointment. Phase 1 is pretty much everthing that is funded. And phase 2 simply adds in the Sherway extension, the Sheppard Extension to Downsview, and converts the existing SRT to subway without any exension. In terms of new riders, rapid transit is only really brought to people living near Sherway Gardens, and those at the Bathurst/Sheppard area.

The lack of vision here is shocking.

So you anticipated that TC would be kept as it is?

ummmm, Sherway is not in Mississauga.
I think everyone is well aware that Sherway is not in Mississauga ... but given the almost non-existant demand that has been forecast for that extension, the only justification in building that line, is extending it to Dixie or Hurontario, where there is demand.

To be fair, things have changed since then... for example the RTES projections had a population within 500 metres of only 69 people for the Sherway extension but even the first phase of One Sherway has several times that number. The station was rated high for development potential.

If Mississauga transit uses the extension to offload its passengers, then it wouldn't be a huge waste of money. Also, the money from not building the transit hub for Kipling station could be used for a station elsewhere.

So you anticipated that TC would be kept as it is?
No, but I certainly figured there would be something with the DRL, Yonge Extension, Don Mills LRT ... not to mention the horrific problems on the King and Queen streetcars downtown (there's some reallycheap mitigation that can be done there ...). And I'm amazed that he has taken the already funded SRT extension to Sheppard off the table.

Last edited:
When it comes to subway expansion, anyone who doesn't prioritize the DRL is very ignorant. Politicians might not be transit experts, but high profile candidates can work with a various experts to come up with their plans. This plan is just disappointing.

No, but I certainly figured there would be something with the DRL, Yonge Extension, Don Mills LRT ... not to mention the horrific problems on the King and Queen streetcars downtown (there's some really mitigation there ...). And I'm amazed that he has taken the already funded SRT extension to Sheppard off the table.

SRT to Malvern funding should have been stopped long earlier. It is one of the most ridiculous spending I've ever seen for transit expansion. But yeah, I think downtown could use another subway line alongside DRL (if they are really brave enough!)

When it comes to subway expansion, anyone who doesn't prioritize the DRL is very ignorant. Politicians might not be transit experts, but high profile candidates can work with a various experts to come up with their plans. This plan is just disappointing.

Not to mention that replacing Queen/King streetcars with subway is huge gain, not a bit of loss.

Last edited:
I think everyone is well aware that Sherway is not in Mississauga ... but given the almost non-existant demand that has been forecast for that extension, the only justification in building that line, is extending it to Dixie or Hurontario, where there is demand.

So we are to criticize a plan, based on something the guy who put the plan out there never included in the plan?

Unless a politician actually a) realistically costs out their transit plans and b) provides realistic detailed information as to how they will be paid for, it's all just vapourware. Smitherman might as well be promising everyone a pony.

Back