8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

sam1025

Member Bio
Reaction score
ust wondering if I should get smooth ceilings done in my 800sqf condo?...is it worth it ? Why are they better than that popcorn/stucco stuff?...... Does anyone know what Great Gulf is charging?

ust wondering if I should get smooth ceilings done in my 800sqf condo?...is it worth it ? Why are they better than that popcorn/stucco stuff?...... Does anyone know what Great Gulf is charging?

i personally don't think it's worth the money. it's very subjective and you may not get the money in return once you go ahead and sell the unit because it is something not everyone will notice. Stick with upgrades in Kitchen/Bathroom and perhaps, painting. These are things that potential buyers will notice immediately.

They will charge extra for flat ceiling because they would have to fix the minor cracks and defects so it doesn't show once the ceiling is finished with the final layer of paint. With the 'popcorn' texture, it hides away small defects that saves them time and money.

So, no, i don't think it's worth it, IMO. :D

Smooth ceilings are nice but not important. If the builder offered it, great. If it's not offered, it's not worth the upgrade cost unless you're planning to live there for a very long time and you really prefer smooth ceilings.

Well, a few questions you have to ask yourself...

-Does it really bother me having the popcorn type ceiling? Perhaps you should visit households that have it and don't.
-Can I afford it? Or is there some other upgrade that's more important?
-Do I think potential buyers may appreciate smooth ceilings?

As the previous individual mentioned here, its very subjective. Personally,
I purchased the smooth ceiling option because I'm used to it living with my parents. The popcorn type ceilings remind of my grandfather's place...

They charged me in the 1,400 dollar range for 575 SF. I do anticipate to put the cost of all my upgrades when selling my unit and you can bet that I'll be advertising the smooth ceilings like no tomorrow;)

We have popcorn ceilings in the townhouse we live in now. Before I learned about popcorn vs smooth ceilings on this forum, I didn't even know that there was a reason popcorn ceilings were cheaper. I just thought it was some kind of design (DUH! LOL). It doesn't bother me in the slightest and I do not know why it is so important to have smooth ceilings. I suppose it definitely is a matter of preference but I personally wouldn't pay thousands to upgrade.

Stucco or popcorn ceilings have a small sound absorption due to the rough surface. But it is small.

actually if you people are into audio it breaks up the standing waves of sound a bit so their is less "bounce" off the walls.I personally dont give a hoot whats on the ceiling but it does offer a bit of sound barrier.Paying $5000 for clean ceilings is insane.Rather use the money to upgrade the bathroom or kitchen which offers much better resale value than a smooth ceiling.

Popcorn ceilings tend to come in one colour - white - and are hard to paint without getting popcorn in your eyes.

Popcorn ceilings tend to come in one colour - white - and are hard to paint without getting popcorn in your eyes.

LOL:D

I would think also that the ceiling is difficult to clean if there's accumulated dust or a spider with a web, no?

Popcorn ceilings are harder (and messier) to paint and it usually takes more paint too. BUT.... is it worth the extra cost? I say 'no".

Wow. I am amazed at the "pro popcorn ceiling" response.

I can't stand the popcorn ceilings. I feel that it gives condo units a very 1970s feel, and ruins any modern feeling to the unit.

I also find them to give units a very "dusty" feeling to them, and I imagine they collect dust and impossible to clean.

I especially find it looks "odd" when the ceiling in the kitchen is smooth, and the rest of the unit is popcorn.

Without a doubt, it is the first thing I notice when I walk into a condo unit. In second place is carpet. Then, I start paying attention to unit-layout.

M.

I think carpet in the suite isn't so bad. If the hardwood doesn't have the thick insulation, you might get noise problem. I think noise would bounce more on hardwood than on carpet unless there's a thick layer underneath the hardwood to block sounds.

I have painted a stucco ceiling. Need a roller made for a rough ceiling, must be primed and then painted. A lot of paint.

Back