39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A thread about snacks; anything about them really, unless its boring. LOL

To kick it off, I was having a bit of a craving for a South Asian snack tonight, something with zing.

Drives me right nuts that most South Asian Snacks whose flavours I like come in a form that you need a spoon to eat.

I was thinking of something like Aloo Bhujia:

1594860845155.png

From here: https://www.whiskaffair.com/aloo-bhujia/

or maybe

Kaju Mixture

1594860929761.png

Great flavour profiles; but the damned stuff falls through your fingers and I end up wearing more than I'm eating if I try to consume it with my hands!

Which brings me to, why can't South Asian snack flavours be showcased on good finger-food snacks?

I know Sobeys/Sensations did a curry potato chip for a bit, as did Neal Brothers, neither are available now.

I enjoyed that.

Not the same old boring flavour, but the same old finger-food friendly format!

Share thoughts on this or on the interesting/different snacks you enjoy.

Aaah, but boring is all I have with my clean eating regimen. My snacks consist of lightly salted pistachios or cashews and the occasional bit of Lindt 99% cocoa chocolate. Though, if I'm out in the bush, I'll snack on some smoked meat. Bear bait.

I'll see myself out. ;)

In packaged cookies, these are probably my under $5 favs:

1594862282881.png

Attachments

• 1594862210752.png
    1594862210752.png
    657.6 KB · Views: 305
Aaah, but boring is all I have with my clean eating regimen. My snacks consist of lightly salted pistachios or cashews and the occasional bit of Lindt 99% cocoa chocolate. Though, if I'm out in the bush, I'll snack on some smoked meat. Bear bait.

I'll see myself out. ;)

You just need to apply your creativity to combinations.............Lightly salted, chocolate covered pistachio coated, smoked meat. I don't know if I would consider it edible, but it certainly wouldn't be boring!

Thing is, I avoid sugar as much as possible so chocolate-coated anything is out as that is almost always sugar-laden chocolate.

I'm not a pothead, I can't just invent new snacks on the go like my peers at school used to do. Doritos in yoghourt, for example...there's an idea. Probably need to be squinty-eyed level high to stomach it though.

To kick it off, I was having a bit of a craving for a South Asian snack tonight, something with zing.

Drives me right nuts that most South Asian Snacks whose flavours I like come in a form that you need a spoon to eat.

You want zing, gotta try Masala Munch. So good.

Yes it's spicy too. I eat half a bag and I start speaking Hindi, and I don't even know Hindi lol.

Not so much a snack per se, but my friend was going to get me kabucha today but they didn't have it. I like the idea of fermented stuff, but hopefully it's not too sweet. So that's on my near term to-try list. Also I came to a conclusion recently that a good alternative to a bag of chips (at home) is some instant noodles. Very similar in the fill-you-up (but not all that healthily) category. The world's your oyster in terms of varieties/brands/flavours/origins. Also like chips.

Also I came to a conclusion recently that a good alternative to a bag of chips (at home) is some instant noodles. Very similar in the fill-you-up (but not all that healthily) category. The world's your oyster in terms of varieties/brands/flavours/origins. Also like chips.

You'd be pleased to know that you can crunch up the uncooked ramen to tiny bits, sprinkle the soup powder into it, mix well (think shake and bake) and eat it like a snack. I am not quite sure how I am still alive after eating that growing up but here I am.

AoD

Last edited:
Guava candies. I stock up on these things every time I'm in an Asian market.

Guava candies.jpg

I also love the Italiano Tiramisu they have at Costco. Little pricey, but it comes in reusable glass cups.

Back