News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Getting residents to shovel their sidewalks is the problem.

I'm always impressed by those who shovel their steps, their walkway and possibly their driveway, but don't bother with the sidewalk the rest of their neighbours have to use.

I don't get why Toronto doesn't clear the parking sides of one-way streets, as other cities do...... Cabbagetown needs to change the parking-side with each half of the month.

Toronto needs to do something to stop people parking on the road after snow storms. My street is so poorly plowed after storms because of the idiots parking their cars on the road and not in their driveways. The city needs to do what Montreal does, the plows have warning sirens telling people to move their cars for snow removal or else they will get towed. :D

Toronto needs to do something to stop people parking on the road after snow storms. My street is so poorly plowed after storms because of the idiots parking their cars on the road and not in their driveways. The city needs to do what Montreal does, the plows have warning sirens telling people to move their cars for snow removal or else they will get towed. :D

Most downtown residents don't have driveways.

For the residences that do have driveways downtown and outside the downtown they should be forced to use them during snow removal. If people are to lazy to shovel their driveways they should move into a condo.

thanks, this is what I was getting at. Seems everybody was offended by my question. Toronto pride I guess...

There is plenty of on-street parking in Montreal. That city easily gets twice the amount of snow we do here - and still manages to clear roads and sidewalks.

Just go there in the winter to see the difference.

nobody replied to my question, why do they just plow the snwo to the sides and they don't remove it.

After a couple of substantial snowfalls the snow banks are removed downtown in the days that follow. It's a very laborious job and must be very expensive to do so.

They just need to build a giant geodesic dome over the city already and block the snow in the first place.

In the past several years I'm noticing that people are shoveling much less - or not at all (sidewalks in particular) and using heaps of giant salt crystals instead. This can't be good for the sidewalks or for the lake with the runoff plus my poor dog is having a hell of a time with the salt on her paws.

In the past several years I'm noticing that people are shoveling much less - or not at all (sidewalks in particular) and using heaps of giant salt crystals instead. This can't be good for the sidewalks or for the lake with the runoff plus my poor dog is having a hell of a time with the salt on her paws.

Yes, it seems current trends in snow clearing are to just dump a massive amount of salt on the sidewalk and hope for the best. This doesn't work.
Salt doesn't work at all if it's under -20 or so. If it's warmer, the salt just turns the snow to slush, which is great if you plan to shovel it a few hours later, but people seem to just leave it and then it turns into a giant block of ice. Then they put more salt on and leave the dirty slush on the sidewalk until it melts a few weeks later.

I hope the crazed zealot who ticketed everone at our end of the street for not clearing our snow ... even though most of us did ... won't be on the loose again this winter. City Hall certainly got enough complaints about him.

Back