News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

KimAndSophie

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm moving to the UK in just over a year so I've decided it's probably a good idea to move to a different area. I'm living downtown right now and paying over $2000 a month in rent. :eek: I had the realization today that I could find a cheaper place to live and save more money for the move.

I want to stay in the GTA, and not move to an area that's too bad (high crime rate etc.). I would really like some suggestions as to the areas that are affordable, but safe. Somewhere where I could pay $1000 or less per month for a one bedroom apt., condo, house, basement apt. etc.

Any suggestions? :) I've only been living here less than two years so I'm not sure about all of the areas.

In the Church/Wellesley neighbourhood. Gloucester/Isabella & Charles Streets. Busy day & night, very safe, close to the subways and you can get a 1 bedroom for between $1000 to $1150.

Apt's at Broadview and Danforth go for about that and you can get fantastic views of the city across the valley.

They are right next to the subway and a Dominion with all sorts of shops and restaurants along the danforth. Including Deep Blue which has some of the best fish and chips in toronto :)

Last edited:
$1000 in the GTA gives you a lot of choices.
If you want downtown and less sketchy than church/wellesley, the college spadina area is cheap. It's stereotypical, but true: Chinese renting out in any area usually offer the best value. For example, a 1 bedroom, 1000sqft in the trendy college/bathurst corridor goes for $900.

Also, the Keele-High Park Blvd area along the Bloor West subway line is good value: Average 1 bedroom rents $900-$1000. High Park across the street, cheap grocery options (No Frills, Price Chopper) and a trendy organic eatery strip developing a 10 minute walk to the north (the Junction.) Overall, a quiet area that's about 10 minutes to the Annex via TTC. The Minto buildings are better maintained, so rent at premium. Otherwise, there's a few rental buildings to avoid--at the corner of High Park Blvd and Bloor West, some slumlord brownstone apt buildings.

btw, interesting blog--I've seen you around town.

Last edited:
Any idea how much a Casa unit would rent for? I've heard avg rent in dwntown T.O is 1500/month but I'm sure with the flood of 1 bedroom inventory after the building boom and real estate bust we'll see a $200 reduction. I'd love to get a new build for under $1200.00 when I move back in 2010 for Uni. Anyone truly in the know? Thanks
Evan

downtown has a fairly large span. It depends where downtown. One might rent for a high price, but the next street down or across might be cheaper. Like the rents at Yorkville are high, but if you just live one block outside of it, it's cheaper. Like wise on Yonge. West of Yonge prices cost more than East of Yonge. Both are downtown locations.

Any idea how much a Casa unit would rent for? I've heard avg rent in dwntown T.O is 1500/month but I'm sure with the flood of 1 bedroom inventory after the building boom and real estate bust we'll see a $200 reduction. I'd love to get a new build for under $1200.00 when I move back in 2010 for Uni. Anyone truly in the know? Thanks
Evan

Typical units rent $2.25 - 2.50 psf inclusive and may include a locker.
Luxury buildings will cost more.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! :) Now that I have some areas in mind I guess I'll have to start looking. I'm not so worried about if there is a grocery store nearby because I usually have my groceries delivered anyway, and I don't bother using the subway because of the whole wheelchair accessible issues. But thanks again for the replies!

Hmm, thinking actually with your issues, the Dundas St West/Bloor area may be a good fit: cheap rent ($900/month or less average), cheap groceries (Price Chopper, Zellers, or even Loblaws), interesting street (Roncevalles) 5 minutes or less by wheel chair away, Dundas West and Keele station have wheel chair access, tons of interesting cafes along Roncevalles with arguably one of Toronto's most interesting retail strips, etc.

In the Church/Wellesley neighbourhood. Gloucester/Isabella & Charles Streets. Busy day & night, very safe, close to the subways and you can get a 1 bedroom for between $1000 to $1150.

The areas you mention have become crack havens.

Anything west of Yonge, east of Dufferin and south of St. Clair and you're fine.

Pay particular attention to anything east of Yonge, you could end up being knee deep in crackheads, hookers and pimps on bikes.

Try getting a place either near the Annex, Little Italy or Queen West (not west of Dufferin however).

androiduk said:
The areas you mention have become crack havens.

Anything west of Yonge, east of Dufferin and south of St. Clair and you're fine.

Pay particular attention to anything east of Yonge, you could end up being knee deep in crackheads, hookers and pimps on bikes.

Crack havens ??!!??
Not in general, unless you consider the gay tweekers on the weekends.
Where are you looking?

BUT be wary of areas east of Sherbourne into Regent Park; or south/east of Jarvis/Gerrard.

Back