I don't know why they spaced the class roof.. are they going to leave like this ?

I believe that was always the plan:

18YorkRender.jpg

Looks like they've started some earth moving for the next tower. You can see they've backfilled the embankment, probably to allow enough space for a shoring rig to maneuver around up there.

I don't know why they spaced the class roof.. are they going to leave like this ?

If you look at my photo that was shot looking north on York St at the roof line to the right of the elevator, you can see some extra reinforcement where the side will extend above the roof line as per the rendering. It may not go up until the elevator starts coming down, but time will tell.

If you look at my photo that was shot looking north on York St at the roof line to the right of the elevator, you can see some extra reinforcement where the side will extend above the roof line as per the rendering. It may not go up until the elevator starts coming down, but time will tell.

It's going up now.

18 York is as boxy as it gets! it's a shame since the glass ain't half bad. a sharp looking tower though.

Perhaps when they finish the corner element that extents beyond the roof-line it won't appear quite as boxy. Agree about the glass- very nice!

Soviet Block

Sadly this building looks like it could have been home to the Ministry of Information in the old Soviet Union!

Well, I guess the roof materializing is a minor victory for us. Not that I think this a stunner by any means, but they're at least trying to remain true to the original plans. The spacing of the glass at the top also provides some much needed texture, as 18 York is about as plain as a tower gets.

Back