News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Take the 510. You don't want to be anywhere near the Queen car anytime near rush-hour, unless you want to stand for 3 hours while you watch everyone walking faster on the sidewalks..

EDIT: And when I mean stand, I mean on the car already, not including wait times - which is another issues because the Queen car bunches-up like nobody's business. So if you have my kind of luck, you will come out of the station precicesly as the 5th of a 5-car bunch of cars pass buy, leaving you to wait for 30 minutes. 510 will be busy, but at least it has A: Outrageous frequency, and B: A dedicated ROW :)

Last edited:
Assuming the weather's not too bad and you're able-bodied, I'd just take the subway to Osgoode and then walk along Queen. It's less than a kilometre between University and Spadina.

So the real question is, would walking from University to Spadina after subwaying still be faster than taking 510? ;)

And thanks @hkric88, I never really considered rush-hour! I never usually go DT that early in the morning.

No prob! Yea 8-9 am is really the peak also. However, GraphicMatt has a very valid point also, the 510 sees very extreme crush loads, and it can get a bit bogged down, it would be a bit of a gamble. Walking from osgoode is a good option to consider..

If you're a slow walker, you may find it easier to just get off at St George, backtrack to Spadina-Bloor Stn and one-level up is the 510. The 510 might have crushloads (less of a problem if you board from the rear and can more readily grab a seat) but the headways are crazy fast most times.

I think the valid choices are the Spadina-510 route or the Osgoode-walk route. Waiting for a 501 to go such a short distance would be pointless. My guess is the Osgoode and walking route is often the quickest. If you have something to carry or don't like walking I would take the 510.

I used to do this from Eglinton West a lot, and usually ended up getting off at Osgoode and then walking west. While I enjoyed the streetcar ride down, it usually just took too long and it wasn't always guaranteed that it wouldn't be ridiculously full.

Going from Spadina Station, I would always take 510 Spadina for this. It's frequent, quick, and pleasant (if you can get a seat). The GPS map of streetcar positions in Spadina Station will also give you a pretty good idea of how the line is doing.

Obviously, if you are going somewhere closer to University than to Spadina, the answer might change. I could take either if heading to Queen & John.

Note: I primarily use the Spadina car on weekends.

Tomorrow night, I will have to go from Dupont to Queen & Claremont (west of bathurst/ by Trinity Bellwoods). Should I just take Queen from Osgoode; I was thinking the Bathurst streetcar from Bathurst station might be faster?

If Dupont and Bathurst the Bathurst bus plus 511 would probably be faster. If at Dupont station going Osgoode to switch to the 501 is probably faster. The distance taken on Queen makes it worth it to ride rather than walk. The backtracking on the Bloor line and walk from Bathurst would probably take longer than the delay waiting for the 501. That is my guess.

Back