I thought the Cheesecake Factory at Yorkdale was successful? Why have no more opened up in the GTA? Is it normal for a city to only have a single location?

So the new Apple Store opened already. There's a few photos in the below articles:

Browns Shoes will relocate across the hall from their existing location to be Apple's neighbour
Also told by a couple of staff in the mall that Zara will expand to the first floor. All of the space below them has been emptied.

Browns Shoes will relocate across the hall from their existing location to be Apple's neighbour
Also told by a couple of staff in the mall that Zara will expand to the first floor. All of the space below them has been emptied.
That Zara is a zoo so it does need more space.

does anyone know how the Holt Renfrew is doing ? It seems like Oxfords desire to pivot Square One into a luxury node, or at least build out a luxury wing, hasn’t really panned out. Be interested to know what will happen on the ten year anniversary of some of those leases. (That wing opened in 2016).

over the past year, it seems to me like Oxford has been kicking people out or moving them so they can turn more than one lease into giant retail space- we've seen it with Apple and Nike, now they're doing that for Zara.

im not sure how i feel about that practice. i really liked Bluenotes that was moved for Indochino, which Nike is now using its space to expand to. but i guess that's where the money is these days

does anyone know how the Holt Renfrew is doing ? It seems like Oxfords desire to pivot Square One into a luxury node, or at least build out a luxury wing, hasn’t really panned out. Be interested to know what will happen on the ten year anniversary of some of those leases. (That wing opened in 2016).
My thoughts are that as big as square one is it can't manage to satisfy both the Walmart crowd and the holts crowd at the same time. Well specifically the holts crowd. They have the option of going down to Sherway and im guessing that is what is happening.

Perhaps if the food district was closer to the luxury wing as well as some restaurants then you could at least go to the mall and avoid contact with the hoi polloi.

over the past year, it seems to me like Oxford has been kicking people out or moving them so they can turn more than one lease into giant retail space- we've seen it with Apple and Nike, now they're doing that for Zara.

im not sure how i feel about that practice. i really liked Bluenotes that was moved for Indochino, which Nike is now using its space to expand to. but i guess that's where the money is these days

They have been doing this at Scarborough Town Centre for the past couple of years.

At STC they were closing multiple stores and combining them into one.

It doesn't seem to be working well as the stores they put in aren't really a fit for the mall.

An example of this is when they closed Stars, Browns, etc and are now putting in a Sleep Country.

In another space they closed a Payless and Kitchen Stuff Plus to put in a JD Sports.

The other closures involved Bentley and a couple other stores to put in an oversized Aritizia.

I feel like Oxford is going big without giving their customers what they want.

They have been doing this at Scarborough Town Centre for the past couple of years.

At STC they were closing multiple stores and combining them into one.

It doesn't seem to be working well as the stores they put in aren't really a fit for the mall.

An example of this is when they closed Stars, Browns, etc and are now putting in a Sleep Country.

In another space they closed a Payless and Kitchen Stuff Plus to put in a JD Sports.

The other closures involved Bentley and a couple other stores to put in an oversized Aritizia.

I was thinking when reading the matrix posts that perhaps they were ok with larger upscale stores than stores that they thought were pretty low like bluenotes. But in your post you have a browns closing for a sleep country. That would go against my thesis and is extra weird.

I was thinking when reading the matrix posts that perhaps they were ok with larger upscale stores than stores that they thought were pretty low like bluenotes. But in your post you have a browns closing for a sleep country. That would go against my thesis and is extra weird.

It may be because they are trying to compete with CF Markville just up the road at McCowan and 7.

It is a similar situation to Square One and Sherway.

Markville has a Sleep Country in it, they have a Walmart and they also have a myriad of useful upscale stores.

STC has always been more of a local mall. You can get what you need but you would never find high end.

It may be because they are trying to compete with CF Markville just up the road at McCowan and 7.

It is a similar situation to Square One and Sherway.

Markville has a Sleep Country in it, they have a Walmart and they also have a myriad of useful upscale stores.

STC has always been more of a local mall. You can get what you need but you would never find high end.
but in square ones case there is reasons it could be more than a local mall. As well Oxford clearly had high end aspirations for it which is why it strong armed holts into moving there in exchange for more space at Yorkdale. Im not sure holts is going to be able to get out of their square one lease because its basically there to keep their Yorkdale lease. But the rest of that section really isn't great and Apple and Rolex aren't even there. It is a bit confusing the thought process.

it really does feel like that. i've heard lots of stories about them screwing people out of their leases or forcing renovations, so i feel like that's what's going on right now- if you can't move your store, you're pretty much going to get shut down for a bigger, busier retail store. for the past year, every time i'd go, there was a store i saw closing every week. i even saw the Journeys and Conspiracy Comics get shut down in real time where the manager is boxing up products with the gates down, taking down decals etc... the mall's losing usefulness for me
sleep country is in the high-markup business of mattresses, having a sleep country in your mall is pretty much a guarantee on rent for that reason. it's a money printing business. sunrise/HMV got booted out of square one for a sleep country, go figure

as for holt's at square one, i've never seen that place busy. i think more people go to walmart than holts, which seems obvious, but i feel like that highlights an oversight in how Oxford is trying to run that place. i dont think people are bustling for luxury items these days

Back